Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Simply put... the good teams draft multiple WRs to balance themselves out.
    San Fran. Has Crabtree, Drafts AJ Jenkins very high, Trades for Boldin. San Fran is as runn first a team as we are. However, they started to become elite when they started to address the passing game (their defense was always good). So now they can pound it with Gore or beat you thru the air.

Take any team that has been successful and you will see that they address the WR position early and often. Its a must. Seattle Rice, Baldin, Tate. Steelers (when they were good) Wallace, Sanders, Brown. Teams that struggle because they have not address the passing game to go with their run game....Tenn, Jaguars, Vikings.

Must you be reminded 6-10, 3-13, 10 - 6*

*Peterson walked on water.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    My god what is wrong with you people.....
    How many time must you get your hand burned by fire before you get it.
    No there isn't enough talent on offense. We have a good line but Jennings and Simpson is simply Percy and Simpson re wrapped. The only difference is connections to Jennings will be more typical. Our offense is paltry. The cupboard is bear. Forget last year and Peterson's DAMN NEAR RECORD BREAKING SEASON. It's not the norm. If Peterson goes back to being his regular...superhuman self (1400 yards 13 tds), we win 3 games. I am so sick of people saying if Simpson shows, we have a great offense. No we don't. We have 1 WR. The rest of them are terrible. If simpson shows us the best he has been, we have two WRs. Wright is at best average. We need 1 More WR. That's why a team like the packers can continue to generate WR corps after corps because they address the position. We on the other hand trade 1 star WR for an other and our fans think we are all set.
    TE's don't figure at all into this prediction? You are predicting a 3 win season? Did i read that right?
    Tuco the world.....

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Ponder is still the big question mark in our offense. WR mean nothing without a QB who can get them the ball down the field. Ponder has to be 10 times better than he was last year for this offense to do much I don't care who the WR are.

WWBGD

Kevoncox, I disagree with you. Due to awesome TE play, Peterson, and Percy's contributions, when he played, the vikes still won games. Adding a proven leader, dumping a troublemaker, and adding talent at the wr position thru the draft equals a three win season? With AP still doing his thing? Is that what you are saying? ill take that bet all day and twice on sunday. What is wrong with you? Lets see, you wanted the Vikes to pay Wallace whatever, get Cruz, sign Welker, and then, what? And with what money? I would have been happy with amendola, but the team picked up Jennings, and you still bitch. You just predicted a three win season. Laughable. Why? F*ck it doesn't matter. LOL. I'll exchange "comical," for "Laughable.' I say the team got better, and through the draft, will continue on that course. Three wins? Ok.
    Last edited by Jereamiah; 03-17-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Tuco the world.....

I could care less if simpson shows. Jennings presence opens up all kinds of possibilities for play-action and mis-direction.
    Tuco the world.....

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Well, You may be right but if you are then I would say they would be totally redrawing the offense to do it because last year we basically ran with 2 TE's or a fullback a majority of the time and we still have all of those players on the squad. To me that is an indication we will see more of it and not so many 1 back, 3-4 WR sets. And factoring in the QB I would say I am pretty confident It won't deviate dramatically from what we saw.

Our offense can function perfectly fine provided Simpson can get his shit together this year, integrate into the scheme and be the deep threat and hopefully by giving him the extension they know something about his development that we don't. If it is the case that he is going to step up and be that guy, this is the offense.

Jennings Kalil Johnson Sully Fusco Load Rudolph Simpson
    (Wright,Carlson)
    Ponder
    Felton
    Peterson
    (Gerhart)

There is enough talent there to get the job done. Yeah, it's always great to have more, but then you limit touches and guys get down because they are not as involved.

At any rate, I don't see adding two or even 1 WR as a NEED as much as we have a need for MLB, an upgrade at one OLB and some depth in the DL and secondary so i would suspect that we would see much more attention to that side of the ball. Now, I am not advocating that we draft NO WR's in the draft and if one is there that they have rated as the BPA I would expect them to take one and would be fine with it. But I do not expect to see them trade up in the first to get one or to spend multiple high picks on the position at the expense of other positions.
    That all remains to be seen, I for one won't count on Simpson at all. The Vikings still need to draft a stud WR for the future. After this season the Vikings will surely be without Simpson, and possibly Carlson and Gerhart. With AD, Jennings, and Rudolph, we have 3 legit offensive weapons. If we draft one of the high profile WR's, then this offense could be scary, much like GB's. Ponder will just need to progress, which will be the biggest challenge of the year IMO. You can never have to many weapons on offense. Guys will need breaks here and there, and it will be nice to not miss a beat when that happens for a change. The part that I like is that opposing defenses can't double team everyone once we have the right players in place, which will open up more opportunities for all the guys to have big numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    That all remains to be seen, I for one won't count on Simpson at all. The Vikings still need to draft a stud WR for the future. After this season the Vikings will surely be without Simpson, and possibly Carlson and Gerhart. With AD, Jennings, and Rudolph, we have 3 legit offensive weapons. If we draft one of the high profile WR's, then this offense could be scary, much like GB's. Ponder will just need to progress, which will be the biggest challenge of the year IMO. You can never have to many weapons on offense. Guys will need breaks here and there, and it will be nice to not miss a beat when that happens for a change. The part that I like is that opposing defenses can't double team everyone once we have the right players in place, which will open up more opportunities for all the guys to have big numbers.
    Well said. Not sure where some folks are still pissed, predicting "A 3 win season." Which of course, I think is an idiotic statement.
    Last edited by Jereamiah; 03-17-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    Tuco the world.....

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    No there isn't enough talent on offense. We have a good line but Jennings and Simpson is simply Percy and Simpson re wrapped. The only difference is connections to Jennings will be more typical. Our offense is paltry. The cupboard is bear. Forget last year and Peterson's DAMN NEAR RECORD BREAKING SEASON. It's not the norm. If Peterson goes back to being his regular...superhuman self (1400 yards 13 tds), we win 3 games. I am so sick of people saying if Simpson shows, we have a great offense. No we don't. We have 1 WR. The rest of them are terrible. If simpson shows us the best he has been, we have two WRs. Wright is at best average. We need 1 More WR. That's why a team like the packers can continue to generate WR corps after corps because they address the position. We on the other hand trade 1 star WR for an other and our fans think we are all set.
    I agree with with most everything you say here with the exception of Wright, I think this kid is going to be really good for this offense. With that said, I have been saying all along that we have to get more weapons. If the Vikings don't spend one of their 1st rd picks on a stud WR, then they are very stupid. You can never have enough weapons on offense, NEVER. GB is the poster child for that, if they only had 2 WR's last year and Jennings went down like he did, they don't win the division and make the playoffs IMO. When Nelson went down with the injury, they would have been screwed.

If a receiver goes down in GB, there are usually 2 guys waiting in the wings to produce. They have been like that for a long time and the Vikings should learn from that. If they go with Jennings, Simpson, and Wright next year and Jennings gets hurt, they are screwed, end of story. Yes they need help at several other positions, but its nice that we have 2 1st rd picks to address this. Not sure which WR/WR's will be availabe in the 2nd when we pick at #52, so get one while you have the chance and make our offense solid for the next few years at least.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Oh good lord chicken little, the sky is not falling. Take away the QB and look at the skill position and we have more talent than 80% of the league. What team has more talent at RB than we do? Gerhart could start on a lot of teams, Peterson could probably start on almost any team in the history of the NFL and the FB was in the pro bowl. We have a young, talented TE that lit up the Pro Bowl, we just signed the WR everyone wanted, we have a young guy in his second season that looked like he was developing nicely at the end of the year, we redid Carlson's contract to reduce his cap hit and Simpson, well, I don't know if he will pan out but all I can do is hope the FO knows how he is developing. I will say of he is not panning out that I would like a guy to replace him. But if the light is going to go off in his head then you are absolutely unrealistic about how to build a team to be a success over time. Signing a shit ton of FA WR's and using all our high draft picks on more to add to the stable isn't going to give us a team that is balanced and ready to compete over time. Dumb teams build that way and their fans are happy for about 3 mos until reality bitch slaps them in the face.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=VikesfaninWis;1137979 GB is the poster child for that, if they only had 2 WR's last year and Jennings went down like he did, they don't win the division and make the playoffs IMO. When Nelson went down with the injury, they would have been screwed.[/QUOTE]

If GB would ever build their OL and draft a RB that has talent and then would keep that RB around they wouldn't need 67 WR's on the roster every year and Rodgers might not take the number of hits he has been taking. Yeah, they made a great wild card run a few years back but in the end you need to be able to run the ball in the cold and in the playoffs against the elite teams as well as pass and you can see what happens when you sacrifice defense at the expense of that stable of WR's by how they did in the playoffs the last 2 years. It wasn't because he didn't have enough weapons to throw to.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast