Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    WR is deep this year for sure. At this time I would take Allen or Woods over Hunter, just because the highlights that I saw on Hunter were not that impressive. He didn't separate well, he went down immediately after initial contact, and he didn't look like he had any burst. Someone said that he had a knee injury last year, so that could be some of it.

Tavon Austin would be awesome to have, but I think they are looking more for a outside WR that has good hands, is taller so he can go get the ball, and has speed. That is why I would lean towards Allen myself, but things will change between now and the draft as we see pro days and stuff like that. I do believe they will land a playmaking WR in the 1st rd though.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Also, gonna get a custom shirt made so I can wear it here in Green Bay.

On the front its going to say, Got Jennings? and #15 below that.

On the back, its going to say We Do!! with a Vikings logo under it. Can't wait for the comments and looks from pissed off cheese fans.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    WR is deep this year for sure. At this time I would take Allen or Woods over Hunter, just because the highlights that I saw on Hunter were not that impressive. He didn't separate well, he went down immediately after initial contact, and he didn't look like he had any burst. Someone said that he had a knee injury last year, so that could be some of it.

Tavon Austin would be awesome to have, but I think they are looking more for a outside WR that has good hands, is taller so he can go get the ball, and has speed. That is why I would lean towards Allen myself, but things will change between now and the draft as we see pro days and stuff like that. I do believe they will land a playmaking WR in the 1st rd though.

Hunter us fine. He had an injury. The scouts say he is back to his old self. A stud. Allen will not be there when we pick.
    Last edited by marstc09; 03-16-2013 at 11:49 AM.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    OK, I'll admit, the injuries the past two years do still make me a tad bit nervous, but, really, it was less that I was against it, and more that I just didn't see this as very likely. I just didn't think we'd open the check book quite far enough when so many other teams that are also looking for a WR upgrade have more cap space and a better QB already in place. On top of that, we had all the talk of GB having "an offer on the table waiting," making it seem even less likely. But, of course, moving Harvin off of the team did kinda push the envelope, taking what was already a weakness down to an utter void, and almost vacuum of talent!? hello?...hello?......hello? Is there anybody in here!?? (*sorry, sudden Pink Floyd reference!*)

So, I am super freaking stoked that this got done!! Jennings was Rodgers favorite target for good reason...because, when healthy, you can count on him being in the right spot at the right time with his reliable hands every single down. He's a bright guy who knows and runs all the routes well, adding a different versatility that we have not seen from a Viking receiver in quite some time. In comparison to Harvin, I think the injury risk is similar, but that Jennings skill set and reliability will help this offense and our QB's confidence more. Basically, we just traded me-first short game flexibility for team-first route running flexibility.

Jennings' workman attitude and humble smile fit in perfectly with the team-first mentality that fuels our team's over achiement and I am very comfortable thinking that he will be a great example, team leader and even teacher for the young WR core we are building.

As far as age, he's right, even at almost 30, he has only played 7 NFL seasons and with all the games missed when he was young or more recently, injured, he's a bit under 6 seasons worth of games...that's not a ton of wear and tear, and 5 more years gives him 12 which is very regular for good WRs who do the work to stay fit and loose.

Maybe what I like most about this tho...is that our hand doesn't feel nearly so forced in the first round or two of the draft! Before this addition, I felt like we almost had to go WR at both 23 and 25, just to make sure we got at least one worth a squat. Now, I could almost see us going CB to replace Winny and grabbing a bad ass MLB first, and then looking WR in the 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th rounds.

SKOL VIKES!!! GOOD WORK!!!!

Loved this quote and his shit-eating grin from the interview on startrib!

“From a football standpoint, and selfishly as a receiver, you see a man like All Day sitting in the backfield and you see the cluster of guys that are gathered in the box for him and [you know] it’s going to be some special things taking place on the football field.”
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    As far as who wanted him, you guys sound like a bunch of fifth graders saying they liked Batman when they were two years old rather than five years old. I was laughing at that last week, and I am laughing now. I should add that I have been giving kudos to Jennings for years, and Iron Man was my favorite comic superhero when I was a kid, so there!
    Nobody cares really.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    Bingo!!!!! LMFAO or " why do we need Jennings when Ponder only throws 15 yard passes and less"
    Signing Jennings was a good move. Just think how much better he'd be with a better QB throwing to him. That goes for Rudolph as well. When I saw him snagging those long passes in the Pro Bowl game, I felt we were really wasting his talents with Ponder at QB.
    Cassel will fix that.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    ^^^
    He's right.
    As good as he is at the slant..He can take a couple of those to the house.
    I am dreaming of play action Post plays where the backside safety has bit on the run.
    Ponder... must work on his playaction fake. Its the worst in football. The worst!!!!

Universaldraft.com Presents - Christian Ponder - Play Action - YouTube

See it in action. The sell is premature.. he starts pulling back before the mesh point. It looks half hearted like he is bailing. Turn your head... look at the rb and then bring your eyes up. You know the play so you know where the WRs are going to be. No need to track them during the fake. The key to the fake is turning your body away from the WRs and then locating them after the mesh point.

On the plays he commits fully... the field is wide open!

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    OK, I'll admit, the injuries the past two years do still make me a tad bit nervous, but, really, it was less that I was against it, and more that I just didn't see this as very likely. I just didn't think we'd open the check book quite far enough when so many other teams that are also looking for a WR upgrade have more cap space and a better QB already in place. On top of that, we had all the talk of GB having "an offer on the table waiting," making it seem even less likely. But, of course, moving Harvin off of the team did kinda push the envelope, taking what was already a weakness down to an utter void, and almost vacuum of talent!? hello?...hello?......hello? Is there anybody in here!?? (*sorry, sudden Pink Floyd reference!*)

So, I am super freaking stoked that this got done!! Jennings was Rodgers favorite target for good reason...because, when healthy, you can count on him being in the right spot at the right time with his reliable hands every single down. He's a bright guy who knows and runs all the routes well, adding a different versatility that we have not seen from a Viking receiver in quite some time. In comparison to Harvin, I think the injury risk is similar, but that Jennings skill set and reliability will help this offense and our QB's confidence more. Basically, we just traded me-first short game flexibility for team-first route running flexibility.

Jennings' workman attitude and humble smile fit in perfectly with the team-first mentality that fuels our team's over achiement and I am very comfortable thinking that he will be a great example, team leader and even teacher for the young WR core we are building.

As far as age, he's right, even at almost 30, he has only played 7 NFL seasons and with all the games missed when he was young or more recently, injured, he's a bit under 6 seasons worth of games...that's not a ton of wear and tear, and 5 more years gives him 12 which is very regular for good WRs who do the work to stay fit and loose.

Maybe what I like most about this tho...is that our hand doesn't feel nearly so forced in the first round or two of the draft! Before this addition, I felt like we almost had to go WR at both 23 and 25, just to make sure we got at least one worth a squat. Now, I could almost see us going CB to replace Winny and grabbing a bad ass MLB first, and then looking WR in the 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th rounds.

SKOL VIKES!!! GOOD WORK!!!!

Loved this quote and his shit-eating grin from the interview on startrib!
    +1

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Just a little historical perspective for discussion points:

In the 2006 draft Jennings was selected by the Packers with the 52nd pick. The Vikings had the 48th pick and took Cedrick Griffin and Ryan Cook with the 51st pick. We took Tarvaris jackson 12 picks later. That year we had 3 picks between 48 and 62 and none of them are on the team, although I believe had CG not had 2 horrible knee injuries he would have been an average CB and still be on the team.

Santonio Holmes was the only 1st round WR while Chad Jackson and Senorice Moss were drafted ahead of Jennings. I believe that underscores the notion that we need to do a better job of evaluating talent and drafting them rather than spending FA dollars later to bring in guys you could have already had. I believe the FO is now doing a better(not perfect) job of this and hopefully in the future they don't need to rely on FA as much to build the roster as they have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Just a little historical perspective for discussion points:

In the 2006 draft Jennings was selected by the Packers with the 52nd pick. The Vikings had the 48th pick and took Cedrick Griffin and Ryan Cook with the 51st pick. We took Tarvaris jackson 12 picks later. That year we had 3 picks between 48 and 62 and none of them are on the team, although I believe had CG not had 2 horrible knee injuries he would have been an average CB and still be on the team.

Santonio Holmes was the only 1st round WR while Chad Jackson and Senorice Moss were drafted ahead of Jennings. I believe that underscores the notion that we need to do a better job of evaluating talent and drafting them rather than spending FA dollars later to bring in guys you could have already had. I believe the FO is now doing a better(not perfect) job of this and hopefully in the future they don't need to rely on FA as much to build the roster as they have in the past.
    So you are saying we should draft the good players in the draft to avoid drafting bad plays and later having to go back and saign the missed good players as FAs. How come no one has ever thought this up. Someone get Spielman on the phone....this will completely change the way every team drafts. Who would have thought that if we purposely tried to draft the best players in each draft... our team would be better off. </sarcasm>

Seriously.... seeing that most teams only have 3 choices in the first 3 rounds where the bulk of the talent in a draft is located ( didn't say all, i said the bulk) you only can bring in 3 players on your team from that location in the draft. So.... you will never fill your roster that way only. You can't look back and say... we should not have drafted him because he wasn't any good...because at the time we drafted him, we thought he was better than the next guy and a better fit for the team. hindsight is 20/20. FA allows you to correct that. You get to see a player that has played int he NFL and see what he can do against NFL quality players. You will however spend a little bit more. Think about it this way. You draft a WR, have him on roster for 4 years and then resign him to a big deal that he has earned. Whats the difference between that and Signing someone elses player to that same deal that is coming off his first contract. There is some slight additional risk but...that risk is there for all players you sign to a contract.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast