Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Re: Vikings sign DT Jimmy Kennedy

I've never seem him play (that I remember), so I will go by what I know. Ok, I know that he was selected 12th overall in the 2003 NFL Draft. That means he was drafted before guys like Troy Polomalu, Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Nnamdi Asomugha, and our boy EJ Henderson. The guy obviously has some talent. If the biggest problem with him is motivation, I am pretty happy. A lack of talent would be a problem, but that isn't the issue. If we can get him motivated, and playing to his full potential of a first round guy, then we may have gotten a steal. But if he goes back to his old ways, we always have Evans, Grigsby, and Wyms to play in his place.
    Retired 12/21/08

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

I imagine he is being brought in as a body. He may not even see the field.

If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

agreed.
    He is a filler.
    He may see a few snaps a game to give the others a breather, but count on the players that have been here all year to see the majority of playing time.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurpleMafia" wrote:
    I've never seem him play (that I remember), so I will go by what I know. Ok, I know that he was selected 12th overall in the 2003 NFL Draft. That means he was drafted before guys like Troy Polomalu, Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Nnamdi Asomugha, and our boy EJ Henderson. The guy obviously has some talent. If the biggest problem with him is motivation, I am pretty happy. A lack of talent would be a problem, but that isn't the issue. If we can get him motivated, and playing to his full potential of a first round guy, then we may have gotten a steal. But if he goes back to his old ways, we always have Evans, Grigsby, and Wyms to play in his place.
    Three things......

It isn't a motivation thing (judging by what I've read) but rather a dislike for playing the DT position at this level.

If you believe that we are gonna get through 1 game, let alone 4 with just 3 DT's that is just crazy talk.
    Those cats would be gassed by the half.

Otis, by the way is around 260ish.
    He isn't gonna play DT in our base 4-3.
    He is better suited (based on size/skill) to play RDE in the base and spell both DE (along with some reps as K-rob does at DT) positions in passing downs.

Long story short, this guy was brought in to get reps as a space eater (compare his size to that of K-will/Phat Pat and our backups) in the middle to keep blockers away from our LB'rs.
    Wyms and Evans can do that to a point but will wear down if they don't get snaps off during the game.

Edit:
    By the way, here is what our DL looked like:

LDE Ray Edwards
    LDT Kevin Williams O Ellis Wyms Letroy Guion
    RDT Pat Williams O Fred Evans
    RDE Jared Allen P Otis Grigsby Brian Robison O

No way it gets done with just

LDE Ray Edwards
    LDT Ellis Wyms Letroy Guion
    RDT Fred Evans

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/...formationId=16
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleMafia" wrote:
    Three things......

It isn't a motivation thing (judging by what I've read) but rather a dislike for playing the DT position at this level.

If you believe that we are gonna get through 1 game, let alone 4 with just 3 DT's that is just crazy talk.

He is better suited (based on size/skill) to play RDE in the base and spell both DE (along with some reps as K-rob does at DT) positions in passing downs.

Long story short, this guy was brought in to get reps as a space eater (compare his size to that of K-will/Phat Pat and our backups) in the middle to keep blockers away from our LB'rs.

Wyms and Evans can do that to a point but will wear down if they don't get snaps off during the game.

Edit:

LDE Ray Edwards

LDE Ray Edwards
    RDT Fred Evans

I also read that he'd rather play defensive end instead of tackle. Having a guy to rotate in and out with Ray Edwards is very nice. He's not very fast, but strong, so maybe he could take Ray Edward's place on rushing downs. If Jimmy Kennedy can play as he did in college, we will have very good players to rotate in and out at all the defensive line positions next year:
    LDE Ray Edwards -->
    Jimmy Kennedy
    LDT Kevin Williams
    -->
    Ellis Wyms
    RDT Pat Williams
    -->
    Fred Evans -->
    Letroy Guion (can also step in at end)
    RDE Jared Allen -->
    Brian Robison -->
    Otis Grigsby (can step in at LDE)

I think that's a damn fine depth chart we have at our D-line, but I guess we will not be shure untill the next 4 games are played. They have been looking good (most of the time) in the rotations though. Fred Evans have played a little this year as Pat Williams has been rotaded a lot (if I remember correctly) and I think he's been good. Robison is a great pass rusher and Ellis Wyms is a good experienced veteran. Letroy guion is very raw, but has huge potentials as he's quick and athletic for his size.

"HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleMafia" wrote:
    Three things......

Edit:

LDE Ray Edwards

LDE Ray Edwards
    RDT Fred Evans

I also read that he'd rather play defensive end instead of tackle. Having a guy to rotate in and out with Ray Edwards is very nice. He's not very fast, but strong, so maybe he could take Ray Edward's place on rushing downs. If Jimmy Kennedy can play as he did in college, we will have very good players to rotate in and out at all the defensive line positions next year:
    LDE Ray Edwards -->
    Jimmy Kennedy
    LDT Kevin Williams
    -->
    Ellis Wyms
    RDT Pat Williams
    -->
    Fred Evans -->
    RDE Jared Allen -->
    Brian Robison -->

I think that's a gol 'darnit fine depth chart we have at our D-line, but I guess we will not be shure untill the next 4 games are played. They have been looking good (most of the time) in the rotations though. Fred Evans have played a little this year as Pat Williams has been rotaded a lot (if I remember correctly) and I think he's been good. Robison is a great pass rusher and Ellis Wyms is a good experienced veteran. Letroy guion is very raw, but has huge potentials as he's quick and athletic for his size.
    Very interesting, however, not sure how many reps he will/would get at DE as 6-4/320ish seems to be a bit big to play DE.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleMafia" wrote:
    Three things......

Edit:

LDE Ray Edwards

LDE Ray Edwards
    RDT Fred Evans

LDE Ray Edwards -->
    Jimmy Kennedy
    LDT Kevin Williams
    -->
    Ellis Wyms
    RDT Pat Williams
    -->
    Fred Evans -->
    RDE Jared Allen -->
    Brian Robison -->

I think that's a gol 'darnit fine depth chart we have at our D-line, but I guess we will not be shure untill the next 4 games are played. They have been looking good (most of the time) in the rotations though. Fred Evans have played a little this year as Pat Williams has been rotaded a lot (if I remember correctly) and I think he's been good. Robison is a great pass rusher and Ellis Wyms is a good experienced veteran. Letroy guion is very raw, but has huge potentials as he's quick and athletic for his size.
    Very interesting, however, not sure how many reps he will/would get at DE as 6-4/320ish seems to be a bit big to play DE.
    LOL
    that would put him at "bigger" than Pat.

i need to know, how many here actually think pat is only 317?

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleMafia" wrote:
    Three things......

Edit:

LDE Ray Edwards

LDE Ray Edwards
    RDT Fred Evans

LDE Ray Edwards -->
    Jimmy Kennedy
    LDT Kevin Williams
    -->
    Ellis Wyms
    RDT Pat Williams
    -->
    Fred Evans -->
    RDE Jared Allen -->
    Brian Robison -->

LOL

I do, Star Caps kept him there.........(just kidding.
    I really don't think he is 317)

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=PurpleMafia link=topic=49346.msg873233#msg873233 date=1228415352]
    Three things......

Edit:

LDE Ray Edwards

LDE Ray Edwards
    RDT Fred Evans

LDE Ray Edwards -->
    Jimmy Kennedy
    LDT Kevin Williams
    -->
    Ellis Wyms
    RDT Pat Williams
    -->
    Fred Evans -->
    RDE Jared Allen -->
    Brian Robison -->

LOL

[/quote]
    LOL

I think he's gotta be pushing 330.
    K-Will is 309, and he's not nearly as big as pat, much more of a difference than 8 pounds.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=49346.msg873672#msg873672 date=1228475657]
    [quote author=PurpleMafia link=topic=49346.msg873233#msg873233 date=1228415352]
    Three things......

Edit:

LDE Ray Edwards

LDE Ray Edwards
    RDT Fred Evans

LDE Ray Edwards -->
    Jimmy Kennedy
    LDT Kevin Williams
    -->
    Ellis Wyms
    RDT Pat Williams
    -->
    Fred Evans -->
    RDE Jared Allen -->
    Brian Robison -->

LOL

[/quote]
    LOL

I think he's gotta be pushing 330.
    K-Will is 309, and he's not nearly as big as pat, much more of a difference than 8 pounds.

[/quote]

It's no doupt that Kevin is not as broad at Pat, but on the other hand, Kevin is taller than Pat.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234