Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Vikings sign CB's

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    OK good its encouraging to see you guys prove me wrong with these two cbs as i hope they do but i still think they are scrub cbs that could be continously burned come monday since well they are really new to the franchise and dont have cottrells schemes down.
    But im hoping they are the answer to our injury problems so we dont have to think about it for awhile but im not convinced YET that they are the answer. Time shall tell.

Well according to tice, there were a bunch of teams trying to sign both CB's, so scrubs might be a bit harsh. Besides, we have 2 scrubs at CB already, in rushen jones and rhett nelson, so it can't really hurt us.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Vikings sign CB's

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    OK good its encouraging to see you guys prove me wrong with these two cbs as i hope they do but i still think they are scrub cbs that could be continously burned come monday since well they are really new to the franchise and dont have cottrells schemes down.
    But im hoping they are the answer to our injury problems so we dont have to think about it for awhile but im not convinced YET that they are the answer. Time shall tell.

Well according to tice, there were a bunch of teams trying to sign both CB's, so scrubs might be a bit harsh. Besides, we have 2 scrubs at CB already, in rushen jones and rhett nelson, so it can't really hurt us.
    where did you read that a lot of teams were going after these guys??? I have got to see that part. :lol:

True on the part of jones and nelson, well nelson anywayz, jones is a decent player but he just got thrust into a starting role not knowing what to do and being nervous as hell in his first ever game. I'd give him more time to see what he can before calling him that. JOnes didnt play that much last year and doesnt have much experience but for some reason i see some promise in this kid.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Del Rio Guest

Vikings sign CB's

I read it on NFL.com on the Tice quotes and press conferance notes. I'm not sure where he read it, but he did indeed say he was proud of his scouting guys because these two corners were on the top of everyone's list and the fact that we got them first while they were being activley pursued by other teams is a credit to our organization.

Now just because they were being actively pursued by other teams doesn't mean they are great it means they were the best of what was left.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Vikings sign CB's

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I read it on NFL.com on the Tice quotes and press conferance notes. I'm not sure where he read it, but he did indeed say he was proud of his scouting guys because these two corners were on the top of everyone's list and the fact that we got them first while they were being activley pursued by other teams is a credit to our organization.

Now just because they were being actively pursued by other teams doesn't mean they are great it means they were the best of what was left.

Yeah, I read it at vikings.com in Tice's interview.

Not saying they were great because others were after them, but I am saying they aren't scrubs either, if they were wanted by that many teams. Maybe we have a different meaning of scrub. But keep in mind that these 2 guys aren't being brought in to start. They are gonna be our 3rd, 4th, or 5th CB. If you were assessing them as starting caliber CB's, then yes I would probably call them scubs in that respect, at least brown, I think shaw could actually do as god of a job as irvin in a few starts. But we are evaluating these guys for nickel and dime CB's, and they aren't by any means scrubs at those positions.

It sounds like shaw really looks good in practices so far, so we should see him on MNF. Tice keeps talking about how fast brown is. I wonder how fast he really is, and if he has any experience returning kicks? We need some speed at kick returner and probably shouldn't have our current starting RB returning kicks. I did notice mewelde moore was returning punts, and not howry, which I agree with. I don't understand why we kept howry then, instead of nelson or danielson. They were better receivers than howry. Unless howry was hurt for the game and I didn't know about it?

But again, keep in mind that I am not calling these guys great CB's, but they are experienced CB's that have shown they can play in the NFL, and that is something we can't say about jones and nelson.

PS: I could be wrong hawaiian, but I think that was jones first time ever in an NFL game. I believe he was a practice squad player last year and don't think he ever made the active roster last year, could be wrong though. So I do understand that he needs some time before we truely know how good he can be for us. I haven't liked what i have seen from him last preseason, this preseason, and in week 1, so that is where I am coming from. I mean watching someone like brian williams in his first preseason, I could tell that he was eventually gonna be a damn good CB. I just don't see anything like that when I watch jones play. Hope he proves me wrong though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123