Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Browns took Joe Thomas and have not been heard from since.

We need to improve the O-line but not necessarily with the first round pick. But waiting until the 6th or 7th round seems dismissive, even neglectful if not irresponsible;(stupid).

As bad as the offense is, the defense is in desperate need of a talented cornerback.
    I fear the Vikings will lose even if they get their O-line fixed, if they fail to use a high draft pick on a corner.

The three most recent high draft pick linemen have all been poor choices. McKinnie due to character or motivational factors primarily but was at a disadvantage against quick pass rushers.
    The other two were busts.

There are several good lineman to be found in the middle rounds providing you have the front office staff to recognize them.
    Joe Thomas is solid. He is a product of Wisconsin. Enough said. The Vikings OL is a revolving door.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If anyone can actually watch the game today and come up with any other area that needs more help than the secondary and the OL I really want to hear it.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    I would disagree that we have addressed the offensive line, as stated earlier in the thread.
    I am not counting TE's as OLine draftees.Since 2003 in our drafts;

2003-0 Olinemen drafted.
    2004-0 OLinemen drafted.
    2005-1 Oline drafted, 2nd round, Marcus Johnson,G
    2006-1 oline drafted, 2nd round, Ryan Cook. Widely viewed as a reach at the time.
    2007-0 OLinemen drafted.
    2008-1 OLine drafted, 6th round, John Sullivan.
    2009-1 OLine drafted, 2nd round, Loadholt.
    2010-1 OLine drafted, 5th round, Chris Degeare
    2011-2 OLine drafted, 6th round, Love and Fusco.

Not 1 first round OLineman drafted in 9 drafts. All the while we were in need of a Tackle on the right side, or a left and move McKinnie to the right side. 5th and 6th round offensive linemen are more an afterthought than an attempt to pick up starting material. So, in 9 drafts we used 3 picks on developemental offensive linemen. (2nd rounders are not considered immediate starters)
    And 2 of those three are probably considered failures.
    Build from the lines out for long term success. We have not done that in any way, shape, or form.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    If anyone can actually watch the game today and come up with any other area that needs more help than the secondary and the OL I really want to hear it.
    Aw c'mon negative Nancy. The secondary forced 7 incompletions out of 34 passes today.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Aw c'mon negative Nancy. The secondary forced 7 incompletions out of 34 passes today.
    I stand corrected.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I was firmly in the Justin Blackmon camp all year. Or Matt Kalil if we could get him (which we can't). But I agree with you. My mind has changed. Although I'd still be very happy with Justin Blackmon. I am on the Morris Claiborne bandwagon now.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    I would be happy with any of the three...Blackmon, Kalil, or Claiborne. They all fill a need. I lean towards Claiborne over Blackmon, Kalil over the rest. There have been many first round WR busts out there.

Between 2000-2004 there were 24 WR's drafted in the 1st round. Of those, only Reggie Wayne (2001, Colts), Andre Johnson (2003, Texans) and Larry Fitzgerald (2004, Cardinals) are still with their original team. Less than half (11) are still active in the league.

Freya is offline Team Alumni
    I disagree that we need to draft a OL player in the FIRST round. Not a highly skilled position. Not worth a first round. FFS the last time we drafted in the first round we got McKinnie. What a mistake that was.
    And I don't want to hear about how good he is playing for the Ravens. He NEVER played that well as a Viking. N E V E R. Call it a fluke and get over it. Besides, I have no doubt that he will revert back to normal, by next year..............wait for it.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Hey Purple Floyd,

I am not trying to be mean but did you read the article? It mentions we have made the mistake of trying to fix the OL in later rounds. We need to get some studs on that line or Ponder will continue to fail. Just like Favre and McNabb.

"Look no further than the NFL draft to explain how rookie quarterback Christian Ponder's passing pockets are shrinking faster than wallets at Christmas time."

"The Vikings are making a valid case as the league's least-invested team in drafting offensive linemen since 2002"

"From 2003-11, 28 NFL teams have drafted at least one offensive lineman in the first round, including 11 teams with two or more."

Hutch - Past prime
    Sully - 6th round
    Johnson - 6th round
    Herrera - Undrafted
    Loadholt - 2nd round RT
    Berger - 6th round
    Cook - 2nd round drafted way too high, GONE (sucks)

"The Vikings' Band-Aid approach to lineman acquisitions extends to the backups, where sixth-round rookies Brandon Fusco and DeMarcus Love develop behind the scenes and undrafted tackle Patrick Brown sees spot duty."
    Mars....

I don't disagree with you at all, but one needs to consider when looking at the Vikings drafts since 2003, how many times have they had a high 1st rounder that one could take an outstanding OL at. Or conversely, whom have they taken with the 1st round picks they've had?

In 2003, though having the #7 overall pick, the braintrust stumbled and finally took their pick at #9, getting DT Kevin Williams. Can't argue with that selection, though Jordan Gross was picked right before KWill.

In 2004, we get Udeze at #20. I think we traded down with Miami to make that pick. Miami took T Vernon Carey (who was quickly moved to RT and is now a G). Next OL drafted was G Chris Snee to the NYG at #34 overall. C Jake Grove was the next one at #45 overall, three picks before the Vikes....but we had Matt Birk. Right after that was G Justin Smiley, who is no longer in the league.

In 2005, the Vikes crapped the bed with the Butterfingers Williamson pick at #7 overall (an obvious reach to try and replace the irreplaceable Freak), missing out on Jammal Brown (#13 overall). At #18 the Vikings took Erasmus James, missing out on T Alex Barron (#19 overall, now a backup with the Cowboys), C Chris Spencer (#26 overall, but again, we had Birk), and G Logan Mankins at #32 overall. So at least in that season, you could have argued the Vikes should have done better.

In 2006, we took Chad Greenway at #17, no arguments here. G Davin Joseph was the only OL drafted after Greenway in the first round. We took Cedric Griffin in the 2nd round two spots ahead of where T Marcus McNeill was taken. Just one pick later the Vikings took Ryan Cook. But we signed G Steve Hutchinson as a FA in the 2006 offseason, giving us a left side of McKinnie-Hutchinson-Birk....not shabby at all, all in the prime of their careers.

2007, with the #7 overall pick, we get AD. Can't complain about that. The next OL taken in that draft was T Joe Staley at #28 overall. In the 2nd round we get Sidney Rice (again, no complaints here), Tony Ugoh went two spots before Rice. Centers Ryan Kalil and Samson Satele were the only other OL to go in the 2nd round...and we still had Birk.

2008, we sent our first rounder to KC in the Jared Allen deal. No complaints about that, although the Chiefs got G Branden Albert with our first rounder. We got Tyrell Johnson with our 2nd round pick at #43 overall, but there were no OL taken after Johnson in the 2nd round.

2009, the Vikings probably make their biggest mistake by taking Percy Harvin at #22, one pick before the Ravens take T Michael Oher. Buffalo C Eric Wood was the only other OL to be picked after #22 in the 1st round. We got Loadholt in the 2nd at #54. We missed out on T Eben Britton (#39), C Max Unger (#49), G Andy Levitre (#51), T Sebastian Vollmer (#58) and T William Beatty (#60).

2010, the trade-down for Chris Cook cost the Vikes a shot at T Rodger Saffold, who went one pick before Cook. Other OL taken in the 2nd round that draft were G Zane Beadles (#45), T Vladimir Ducasse (#61), and T Charles Brown (#64).

2011, we take our QB of the future at #12, passing on Mike Pouncey (#15), T Nate Solder (#17), and five others taken after the Vikes 1st round pick.

The point is there are few instances where the Vikings erred by not going after an OL in the 1st or 2nd rounds over the past 9 seasons. There just haven't been any/many great/highly rated linemen available when the Vikings picks came up. Teams like Cleveland and SF get to take highly rated OL because they stink and draft high up in the first round. If you don't get an ace there, recent drafts look like pretty much a crapshoot to me once you get midway into the 2nd round. You may be just as likely to find a good OL in the 5th or 6th round as you will the 2nd or 3rd. Yes, the Vikes OL is now in shambles enough that it desperately needs addressing. But it's hard to condemn the Vikings not taking an OL early in the draft since they took McKinnie based on their draft positions and who they wound up getting (in many cases, areas of immediate need).
    Last edited by purplepat; 12-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345