Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180

    Vikings show little interest in using first-round pick on offensive linemen

    *snicker*

    "Despite the efforts of linemen Charlie Johnson (74) and Steve Hutchinson (76), Vikings rookie quarterback Christian Ponder has been sacked eight time in the past two games and often has to throw under heavy pressure."

    "The Vikings rank 27th in the league with 30 sacks allowed"

    Vikings show little interest in using first-round pick on offensive linemen - TwinCities.com

    Who was that cat hammering over the past years that we should draft an OL in the 1st round? Me. Just saying.

  2. #2
    MulletMullitia's Avatar
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    943
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am totally fine with drafting the best tackle available at #5 overall, or higher (wherever we end up). That being said, Matt Kalil (the #1 tackle) will likely be gone in the top 3 picks. If Kalil is gone, and an all-star talent player is available (Justin Blackmon or Morris Claiborne), you have to take them! Instead of completely reaching for the 2nd best tackle available (Jonathan Martin), who is a #10 - #15 talent.

    Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

  3. #3
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    We could use that pick on a RT if that is the BPA. I would have no problems unless a shutdown corner was ranked that high and then I would rather have a CB.

    But in the end we could fix the OL with later round picks and also through value FA players if the FO would focus on it. To this point I don't think they have put much effort into it.

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    *snicker*

    "Despite the efforts of linemen Charlie Johnson (74) and Steve Hutchinson (76), Vikings rookie quarterback Christian Ponder has been sacked eight time in the past two games and often has to throw under heavy pressure."

    "The Vikings rank 27th in the league with 30 sacks allowed"

    Vikings show little interest in using first-round pick on offensive linemen - TwinCities.com

    Who was that cat hammering over the past years that we should draft an OL in the 1st round? Me. Just saying.
    I'm around enough to not let drivel like this fly. You've been advocating a CB for as long as I've known you.

    Couple of things to look at.......

    1. PUKERS are used as an example. Rodgers gets sacked/knocked down on average every 14th pass attempt. The league average is 28 pass attempts so drafting OLmen in the first round have nothing to do with it.

    What has everything to do with it is the scheme. I've been telling you guys/gals for years that the WCO (what ever variant) gets your QB hit more than normal. I've also been telling you that OLmen aren't the only contributor to your QB getting hit/sacked. The player package that is sent out there, coupled with the play that is called (or changed at the line based on the Center and QB presnap read) has more to do with poor protections than OL play.

    Something else to look at. Alot of people are hacking on Hutch, saying its time to go, he is getting old, based on his play this year. What they aren't telling you is that most of his issues are related, again, to the play that is called and the associated blocking scheme that comes with it.

    For the life of me I can't figure out why you pull one G (Hutch) and send him to the other side at the same time your pulling the other G (Berger) to go fill the gap Hutch just left. WTF happened to this staff "Using their players to match their abilities" ?

    .......Thats something to snicker about.......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Hey Purple Floyd,

    I am not trying to be mean but did you read the article? It mentions we have made the mistake of trying to fix the OL in later rounds. We need to get some studs on that line or Ponder will continue to fail. Just like Favre and McNabb.

    "Look no further than the NFL draft to explain how rookie quarterback Christian Ponder's passing pockets are shrinking faster than wallets at Christmas time."

    "The Vikings are making a valid case as the league's least-invested team in drafting offensive linemen since 2002"

    "From 2003-11, 28 NFL teams have drafted at least one offensive lineman in the first round, including 11 teams with two or more."

    Hutch - Past prime
    Sully - 6th round
    Johnson - 6th round
    Herrera - Undrafted
    Loadholt - 2nd round RT
    Berger - 6th round
    Cook - 2nd round drafted way too high, GONE (sucks)

    "The Vikings' Band-Aid approach to lineman acquisitions extends to the backups, where sixth-round rookies Brandon Fusco and DeMarcus Love develop behind the scenes and undrafted tackle Patrick Brown sees spot duty."

  6. #6
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I'm around enough to not let drivel like this fly. You've been advocating a CB for as long as I've known you.
    Yup CB too and we all know where we stand at that position.

    *SNICKER* You see the only drivel is your failure to recognize that.

  7. #7
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I've also been telling you that OLmen aren't the only contributor to your QB getting hit/sacked. .
    We don't need you to tell us that. We are not stupid.

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    We don't need you to tell us that. We are not stupid.
    When have you ever seen me stoop so low as to call another fan stupid my friend? Its a discussion point, nothing more, nothing less.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Hey Purple Floyd,

    I am not trying to be mean but did you read the article? It mentions we have made the mistake of trying to fix the OL in later rounds. We need to get some studs on that line or Ponder will continue to fail. Just like Favre and McNabb.

    "Look no further than the NFL draft to explain how rookie quarterback Christian Ponder's passing pockets are shrinking faster than wallets at Christmas time."

    "The Vikings are making a valid case as the league's least-invested team in drafting offensive linemen since 2002"

    "From 2003-11, 28 NFL teams have drafted at least one offensive lineman in the first round, including 11 teams with two or more."

    Hutch - Past prime
    Sully - 6th round
    Johnson - 6th round
    Herrera - Undrafted
    Loadholt - 2nd round RT
    Berger - 6th round
    Cook - 2nd round drafted way too high, GONE (sucks)

    "The Vikings' Band-Aid approach to lineman acquisitions extends to the backups, where sixth-round rookies Brandon Fusco and DeMarcus Love develop behind the scenes and undrafted tackle Patrick Brown sees spot duty."
    Yeah, I read it and I am not sure why you think you are being mean asking a question.

    Yes, I read it but I don't agree that the team has to get first round studs to get better at the OL. As I said, if they want to draft a quality RT in the first like the did with McKinney I would be fine with that. But McKinney is an example of a 1st round pick that wasn't necessarily a sure fire solution either. He had good years and even looked great for periods but certainly wasn't a 10 year solution and when he was on the team it wasn't like he solidified the position to the point there was not any concern with how he was playing.

    My point is there are plenty of serviceable veterans and also guys in the 2nd - 5th round that we could get and make a very good line if we had the right scheme, the right coaches and if they choose the players wisely and get guys who compliment each other.

    That being said i feel a shut down corner would provide a bigger impact on the team than a top RT.

  10. #10
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yeah, I read it and I am not sure why you think you are being mean asking a question.

    Yes, I read it but I don't agree that the team has to get first round studs to get better at the OL. As I said, if they want to draft a quality RT in the first like the did with McKinney I would be fine with that. But McKinney is an example of a 1st round pick that wasn't necessarily a sure fire solution either. He had good years and even looked great for periods but certainly wasn't a 10 year solution and when he was on the team it wasn't like he solidified the position to the point there was not any concern with how he was playing.

    My point is there are plenty of serviceable veterans and also guys in the 2nd - 5th round that we could get and make a very good line if we had the right scheme, the right coaches and if they choose the players wisely and get guys who compliment each other.

    That being said i feel a shut down corner would provide a bigger impact on the team than a top RT.
    I just wanted to make sure. I didn't want to just say"did you read the article?" Might come off as being mean.

    Anyways, I would be happy with CB or OL in the first but then the other must be addressed in FA. My only concern is will Wilf spend the money.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •