Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings should sign defensive line coach Bob Karmelowicz!

[size=14pt]Allen benefits from hiring his own coach[/size]
    [shadow=red,left]Posted by Adam Schefter[/shadow]

Link: http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/11/alle...his-own-coach/

When Allen struggled in the beginning of the season. He hired his old coach from Kansas City - Bob Karmelowicz - as his personal coach. Since then, Allen has had 12.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and two safeties so far this season. Most people would agree that the interior defensive line may have been excellent in the past 4 years, but the same can not be said about the outside.
    Allen gives much of the credits for his development into a Pro Bowler to Karmelowicsz. Here is a quote from Allen in the article:

“Karm believed in me when I was an unknown fourth-rounder and helped turn me into a game-changing pass rusher,” Allen said. “Much of my success today is due to him. He’s the best out there, period.”

It’s also why Karmelowicz hopes to return to coaching a defensive line in the NFL next season. And when Karmelowicz interviews this offseason, Allen will be his biggest supporter.
    We should at least consider to hire him. He turned a 4th rounder into one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings should sign defensive line coach Bob Karmelowicz!

I'm satisfied with Dunbar, he does a good job. That Karmelowicz works good with Allen doesn't mean he's good with our other defenisve lineman. Release and sign an other coach for 1 player?
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    I'm satisfied with Dunbar, he does a good job. That Karmelowicz works good with Allen doesn't mean he's good with our other defenisve lineman. Release and sign an other coach for 1 player?
    Sad but this is a business.
    The Vikings made a big investment when they hired Jared Allen.
    I don't know the relationship the players have with Dunbar so I can't comment on that.
    I do know that with the talent they have they should have one of the best defensive fronts in football.
    There are 3 pro-bowlers and a potential pro-bowler if he can get his head out of his ass.
    If Allen wants this guy hired it may not be a bad thing depending on the other player relationship with Dunbar.
    At this time I can't agree or disagree since I don't have knowledge of the situation.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Right now it is just a bunch of speculation. They could hire him as the line coach and reassign Dunbar too.

But then again after we win the SB other teams are certain to start to hire away our coordinators so it is a very good chance we will have openings in the offseason anyway.

I am all but certain that putting jackson back in at QB will
    produce an offensive juggernaut that will result in Bevell being hired away as a head coach for some NFL team next year too.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Right now it is just a bunch of speculation. They could hire him as the line coach and reassign Dunbar too.

But then again after we win the SB other teams are certain to start to hire away our coordinators so it is a very good chance we will have openings in the offseason anyway.

I am all but certain that putting jackson back in at QB will
    produce an offensive juggernaut that will result in Bevell being hired away as a head coach for some NFL team next year too.
    Love the optimism Sir.
    I hope you are right.

Definitely could be something to this.
    Position coaches are probably as undervalued as anybody in the NFL system.
    If you have guys that know what they're doing, entire units can get substantially better.

Hard to can a guy when your defensive line is widely regarded as performing as well or better than any other in the NFL (analysis link).
    Certainly the talent is the key factor, but still.

But you look at how KC has done without Allen and this Karmelowicz guy, and its laughable.
    KC has 6 sacks this year, with only 4 by the defensive line (link).
    Yeah, Allen was the man, but Tamba Hali had 8 and 7.5 sacks in his first two years (link), and they added a high draft pick at DT.
    So maybe between Allen's praise and the relative performance in KC, this Karm guy can coach.

If you think he can, then I can't see a real negative to bringing him in.
    I don't think you have to get rid of Dunbar.
    Just keep Dunbar as defensive line coach and give this guy the title 'defensive ends coach' or something like that.

Who knows what else will happen in the offseason though.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"Overlord" wrote:
    Definitely could be something to this.
    Position coaches are probably as undervalued as anybody in the NFL system.
    If you have guys that know what they're doing, entire units can get substantially better.

Hard to can a guy when your defensive line is widely regarded as performing as well or better than any other in the NFL (analysis link).
    Certainly the talent is the key factor, but still.

But you look at how KC has done without Allen and this Karmelowicz guy, and its laughable.
    KC has 6 sacks this year, with only 4 by the defensive line (link).
    Yeah, Allen was the man, but Tamba Hali had 8 and 7.5 sacks in his first two years (link), and they added a high draft pick at DT.
    So maybe between Allen's praise and the relative performance in KC, this Karm guy can coach.

If you think he can, then I can't see a real negative to bringing him in.
    I don't think you have to get rid of Dunbar.
    Just keep Dunbar as defensive line coach and give this guy the title 'defensive ends coach' or something like that.

Who knows what else will happen in the offseason though.
    Nice post and thanks for backing me up on this!

I know alot of guys on here would say something like "don't fix what's not broken"
    cause our D-line have definitely been one of the best in the NFL this year IMO. Just compare our numbers against Kansas City Chiefs. I know that at least each of our two players (Jared Allen: 12.5, and Kevin Williams: 8.5) has more sacks than the whole Chiefs team together. Also, Greenway has as many sacks as all the Chiefs' linemen together (considering that your numbers are correct, "Overlord").

There is one part of the D-line that is not great yet, and that's the left end. If Ray Edwards had the same coaching as Jared Allen has had, who knows how good he would have been today?

i would make him DE coach and see how it goes from there

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Honestly, I'm not even to fond of our current Dline coach. Prior to this year we could barely get ANY pressure on the QB and we had two pro bowlers, that is simply unacceptable.
    However I should note I am pretty satisfied this year, but I think that has more to do with the Allen signing. But still, I really don't know enough for my opinion to have any real merit

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"vikes2456" wrote:
    Honestly, I'm not even to fond of our current Dline coach. Prior to this year we could barely get ANY pressure on the QB and we had two pro bowlers, that is simply unacceptable.
    You do know that Pat Williams isn't a Pro Bowl player because he can rush the passer?
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast