Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings Should Have Cap Space To Re-Sign Rice

Various figured have been thrown out as to what the salary cap will be in 2011. Roger Goodell proposed $141 million just before the NFLPA decertified and Chris Mortensen of ESPN used a figure tonight of $120 million (Quick Thought — With all due respect to Mort that’s a figure that only a moron would throw out. In 2009 the salary cap was $128 million, league revenue has since increased in a down economy and owners/players are currently fighting over a new CBA. You think players agree to a lower dollar amount than they had in ’09 and lower than Goodell proposed months ago? Maybe there’s some other perks for players worked into the new TV deal in 2014 or better retirement benefits. Details still emerging here…). At any rate according to my calculations, the Vikings currently have $108 million committed to the 2011 season. Below are the players on the team who are set to make more than $1 million next season…
    Vikings Should Have Cap Space To Re-Sign Sidney Rice

A few other interesting nuggets....

It’s believed that Adrian Peterson will hold out unless the Vikings restructure his deal. The going rate for a top-tier running back (and Adrian is debatably the best) is expected to be $12 to $14 million a season, but he’s also already the highest paid player on the team and a new deal would be back ended with the later years being the most expensive
    Chad Greenway’s $10.091 million is working off of the franchise tag he recently signed. He obviously wants to be here long-term, will be happy to work out a long term teal guaranteeing him more than the $10 million he is making now and his contract will be laddered out over a number of years with 2011 being the lowest amount paid.
    Our FO pukes sure have us in a bind by ignoring players that should have had deals done.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Should Have Cap Space To Re-Sign Rice

What exactly would you have done?

You're quick to complain, but offer no solution.

We've got Rob, who's been a cap genius for the past 10 years, kept us in excellent shape financially, and he doesn't know what the hell is going to happen next year with the cap, CBA, etc.

We've got Rice, who may or may not come back. I'd put him at about 50/50. If not, it's because he gets a fantastic offer elsewhere.

Also, where is your proof that we have not offered Rice a contract? Maybe we offered him what we thought he was worth, and he thought he could do better in the open market? That is a highly possible scenario.

Peterson, I would say will be dependent on what/if the cap is. If we get a big cap, he'll get his new deal no problem. If the cap is tight, they're going to have to think very hard about exactly how valuable he is to the team.

They say they're expecting him to get $12-$14+ million a season.

have you noticed how Peyton manning still does not have a contract yet? The Colts offered him a contract equal to about $18 million a year over four years. If we're expected to pay Peterson more than $14 mil, that's treading on Manning money. You can't blindly throw that much money at a guy without knowing how it might affect you in the future.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099139
    What exactly would you have done?

You're quick to complain, but offer no solution.

We've got Rob, who's been a cap genius for the past 10 years, kept us in excellent shape financially, and he doesn't know what the hell is going to happen next year with the cap, CBA, etc.

We've got Rice, who may or may not come back. I'd put him at about 50/50. If not, it's because he gets a fantastic offer elsewhere.

Also, where is your proof that we have not offered Rice a contract? Maybe we offered him what we thought he was worth, and he thought he could do better in the open market? That is a highly possible scenario.

Peterson, I would say will be dependent on what/if the cap is. If we get a big cap, he'll get his new deal no problem. If the cap is tight, they're going to have to think very hard about exactly how valuable he is to the team.

They say they're expecting him to get $12-$14+ million a season.

have you noticed how Peyton manning still does not have a contract yet? The Colts offered him a contract equal to about $18 million a year over four years. If we're expected to pay Peterson more than $14 mil, that's treading on Manning money. You can't blindly throw that much money at a guy without knowing how it might affect you in the future.
    Have you noticed that Brady does have a contract?

I have no proof that we didn't offer Rice a contract. In fact, we did offer him a contract. It was to low. His agent knew it as did our staff.

Again, our FO pukes rolled the dice and have used the CBA thing as their benchmark for betting. To bad they've rolled snake eyes.

Look, all I can say is that we've heard from several key players on our staff that think the organization isn't looking out for its players......Phat Pat has said it, AD has said it, Rice has said it, Edwards has said it. Hell even PH has said the team isn't getting it done.

I fear that we are going to see things get worse before they get better if the FO pukes don't step up and get some things done and quick when the bargaining begins.

As much as a few of you don't agree, the league is ready to bid on our players and the bidding is going to go high. The best way to stay out of bidding wars is to do deals with players that have 1 or 2 years left on their deal that will command money on the open market.

Guess what, we have players getting ready to hit the open market.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099141

I have no proof that we didn't offer Rice a contract. In fact, we did offer him a contract. It was to low. His agent knew it as did our staff.

Again, our FO pukes rolled the dice and have used the CBA thing as their benchmark for betting. To bad they've rolled snake eyes.

Look, all I can say is that we've heard from several key players on our staff that think the organization isn't looking out for its players......Phat Pat has said it, AD has said it, Rice has said it, Edwards has said it. Hell even PH has said the team isn't getting it done.
    Links? Pat has said it. All AD has said is that he wants to talk contract. Never once saying he doesn't feel the FO cares about him. Rice wants a contract, but hasn't gotten one yet. They're both frustrated by no talking, but neither have said they don't trust the FO. Harvin has said he wished they'd get things done so it's not a distraction, but he knwos that it's tough with the CBA. Again, twisting out of context quotes to fit whatever you're trying to say.

As much as a few of you don't agree, the league is ready to bid on our players and the bidding is going to go high. The best way to stay out of bidding wars is to do deals with players that have 1 or 2 years left on their deal that will command money on the open market.
    Supply and demand. Right now, the supply of quality free agents is exceptionally high, highest it's been in a long, long time, possibly ever.

After taking into account the yearly increase in overspending, I don't see this year being exceptionally different that previous years. There will be guys going far over their value, which happens all the time, but this time, if maybe the price of Sidney Rice is too high, there's still a Braylon Edwards, a Randy Moss, a Santana Moss, A Santonio Holmes, A TO. Players have far less leverage this year than previous years, simply due to the mass amounts of talent in the FA pool.

You work at a company that hires people, you know exactly how it goes. If you need a specialized employee, and there's only a handful, you expect to pay. If you need someone where there's maybe 40/50 qualified individuals, all of which can not be hired, they can be had for less money.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099141

Guess what, we have players getting ready to hit the open market.
    Here's the list.

Nose tackle Pat Williams (14 years of service); kicker Ryan Longwell (14); linebacker Ben Leber (nine); quarterback Patrick Ramsey (nine) cornerback Lito Sheppard (nine); wide receiver Greg Lewis (eight); cornerback Frank Walker (eight); wide receiver Hank Baskett (five); defensive end Ray Edwards (five); defensive tackle Fred Evans (five); offensive lineman Ryan Cook (five); quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (five); fullback Naufahu Tahi (five); safety Eric Frampton (four); and wide receiver Sidney Rice (four).

I don't see too many teams breaking out the wallet for most of these players.

In fact, I think the Vikings are in better shape than most teams with regard to free agency.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Blog Entries

Better yet. Players I think we should make an effort to re-sign:

Nose tackle Pat Williams (14 years of service), kicker Ryan Longwell (14); linebacker Ben Leber (nine); offensive lineman Ryan Cook (five); and wide receiver Sidney Rice (four).

Of those, losing Rice is by far the biggest blow. Leber is definitely replacable, the talent is out there. Longwell is clutch, but I'm not sure what kickers will be around. Akers doesn't really solve any age/leg power problem. Cook is a good depth player. The rest I coudl care less about losing. 5 players we need to worry about re-signing. Not too bad. Good job by the FO in making sure we're getting our guys back.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099151
    Better yet. Players I think we should make an effort to re-sign:

Nose tackle Pat Williams (14 years of service), kicker Ryan Longwell (14); linebacker Ben Leber (nine); offensive lineman Ryan Cook (five); and wide receiver Sidney Rice (four).

Of those, losing Rice is by far the biggest blow. Leber is definitely replacable, the talent is out there. Longwell is clutch, but I'm not sure what kickers will be around. Akers doesn't really solve any age/leg power problem. Cook is a good depth player. The rest I coudl care less about losing. 5 players we need to worry about re-signing. Not too bad. Good job by the FO in making sure we're getting our guys back.
    Exactly my point. The front office has done a good job in dealing with this labor issue and free agency.
    I'm confident they will continue to do so with regard to Peterson and Greenway when the time comes.

Frazier said the Wilf ownership is one of the best in the league. Obviously he has motivation to take that stance but I don't think he's blowing smoke.

I think things will work out fine for the Vikings, though it may take a few years.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/6/21/2236059/is-sidney-rice-damaged-goods

Based on my sources, Rice will be hard-pressed to get a big guarantee, and #Vikings are willing to compete with incentives/escalators.
    Dilfer

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I think Marr is right. You don't let your players hit the open market. It's bad business.

And several of the players you listed will have new deals. It's the same thing that happened to Birk that most of your guys didn't want back. The Ravens were happy to add him and now AD can't find an open hole even if he had a handful of hundreds in a strip club.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The situation we find ourselves in should come as no surprise to anyone who has followed the team. When Tice was the coach we did very little in FA and were always under the cap. When Cilly came on board we started a trend of signing FA's coming off contracts to higher than market value and it was clear they were building a team to win a championship in the 4th and 5th years of the coaches tenure. As they were adding the FA's who had high dollar contracts they were also drafting players that would end up with contracts that expire at the same time. We missed the boat( no pun intended-Well, OK. Some pun intended) on the championship and the coach screwed up the team and now we have many contracts coming due from both free agents that we brought in and also players that were drafted. In this type of cycle we are bound to lose some players and that is really OK. All teams lose good players when their contracts are up. The good teams have players ready to take the place of the ones that leave at a reduced price with hopefully not much drop in performance. If the Vikings are good enough to put themselves in that situation we will be fine. If not then we are in for a long cold ride.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast