Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings' Shiancoe ready to roll, not talk

I'm down to 243, and I'm running cuts really well
    Am I the only one worried about this?
    He sure has taken a step down the path of being a H-back kindof TE vice a blocking TE who can catch.

Didn't the Chiller say he lost the weight on his own?
    Time will tell but I bet he puts the weight back on.
    :

By the way, I hate it when TOM POWERS tries to be a actual sports reporter.

:

Good move on the Vikings' part. A team doesn't pay that kind of money for a guy to block. Besides, if the Vikings want a blocker at tight end, they can insert Jimmy Kleinsasser, the human dump truck.
    They do when they have both Tackles struggling and you need to blocking TE's in a run first offense you yutz.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"No talk, just action."

He didn't get the memo? Go out and make huge predictions for yourself and the team.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I expect Shiancoe to do more delayed route's. He must Chip the DE, and get out in the flat or find a hole in the zone and "sit". The Saucer will always be our primary blocking TE, so Shiancoe and Mills, and Jones will get their oppurtunities in the passing game.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

The thing about all those Wiggins receptions for those 2 years is that many were short of the first down, and he didn't have the speed to make it count nor the shiftiness to make guys miss very often.
    In some ways, much as I loved his effort, it was time to get rid of that "security blanket," much like a child about to start school needs to start leaving his snuggly behind (or in the burning barrel.)

Great quote here on Shank's progress...

TE Visanthe Shiancoe was the absolute star of Friday's practice for the offense, with a diving catch and a one-handed catch. Shiancoe is leaner, and he is determined to show that he's not a free-agent bust.
    http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/06/a_few_thoughts.html

As for weight loss, it was about 10 pounds right?
    By my math that is under 4% of his weight last year.
    I'm going to say that I personally can go up and down that much in just a few days depending on how much I work and how much I eat.
    I don't see that little bit hurting his blocking ability, his mistakes there last year were, well, mistakes, not ability related.
    And, if it does help his speed and leap, even slightly, I'd say its worth it!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Am I the only one worried about this? He sure has taken a step down the path of being a H-back kindof TE vice a blocking TE who can catch.

:

:

Good move on the Vikings' part. A team doesn't pay that kind of money for a guy to block. Besides, if the Vikings want a blocker at tight end, they can insert Jimmy Kleinsasser, the human dump truck.
    They do when they have both Tackles struggling and you need to blocking TE's in a run first offense you yutz.
    I am worried too. Didn't you read my post? I thought this would hurt his blocking. Don't you think losing weight would make him less of a H-back type and more of a catching TE? Not sure that losing weight is good for a H-back type TE.

"mountainviking" wrote:
    The thing about all those Wiggins receptions for those 2 years is that many were short of the first down, and he didn't have the speed to make it count nor the shiftiness to make guys miss very often.
    In some ways, much as I loved his effort, it was time to get rid of that "security blanket," much like a child about to start school needs to start leaving his snuggly behind (or in the burning barrel.)

Great quote here on Shank's progress...

TE Visanthe Shiancoe was the absolute star of Friday's practice for the offense, with a diving catch and a one-handed catch. Shiancoe is leaner, and he is determined to show that he's not a free-agent bust.
    http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/06/a_few_thoughts.html

As for weight loss, it was about 10 pounds right?
    By my math that is under 4% of his weight last year.
    I'm going to say that I personally can go up and down that much in just a few days depending on how much I work and how much I eat.
    I don't see that little bit hurting his blocking ability, his mistakes there last year were, well, mistakes, not ability related.
    And, if it does help his speed and leap, even slightly, I'd say its worth it!
    I hope your right......

I wonder why he carried it in the first place if it didn't matter.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Am I the only one worried about this? He sure has taken a step down the path of being a H-back kindof TE vice a blocking TE who can catch.

:

:

I am worried too. Didn't you read my post? I thought this would hurt his blocking. Don't you think losing weight would make him less of a H-back type and more of a catching TE? Not sure that losing weight is good for a H-back type TE.
    I read your post my friend.
    I actually re-read it....

It is good too see that he says he is slimmer and faster. Hopefully that won't effect his blocking.
    Because you said the word "Good" in there I didn't seem you were "Worried".
    ;D

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"tclawmen" wrote:
    I hope we are not heading down the same road with Shiancoe but......did we not say many of the same things about T. Williamson before everyone finally agreed he sucked? ... all he needs is another year in the system and he will start catching more balls..........he just needs to develope chemistry with Jackson.......
    the coaches need to include him in the game plan more......he is looking great in practice........ect. ect. ect.
    Now, before everyone wants to put me into PPO hell ..., I am not saying Shiancoe sucks. But, at the same time, he is what he is. A highly overpaid T/E whose primary job is to block. This offense goes thru A.P. and the running game and now that we have Berrian, Shaincoe will be even further down the food chain in terms of offensive opportunities.
    Time will tell but my guess is he wont catch more than 35 balls and score more than 2-3 T.D.s this year which for a blocking T/E is excellent! But, IMHO he will never be an offensive threat in the NFL.
    Hmmm....
    So the other 31 teams systems must not require the TE to catch balls that are thrown to them, because that is Shanks problem.
    The 3 TD drops are just plain unexceptable.
    Being in the Vikes system another year will improve his route running and timing, but who wants to throw to a guy that might not catch the ball.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

"gagarr" wrote:
    "tclawmen" wrote:
    I hope we are not heading down the same road with Shiancoe but......did we not say many of the same things about T. Williamson before everyone finally agreed he sucked? ... all he needs is another year in the system and he will start catching more balls..........he just needs to develope chemistry with Jackson.......
    the coaches need to include him in the game plan more......he is looking great in practice........ect. ect. ect.
    Now, before everyone wants to put me into PPO hell ..., I am not saying Shiancoe sucks. But, at the same time, he is what he is. A highly overpaid T/E whose primary job is to block. This offense goes thru A.P. and the running game and now that we have Berrian, Shaincoe will be even further down the food chain in terms of offensive opportunities.
    Time will tell but my guess is he wont catch more than 35 balls and score more than 2-3 T.D.s this year which for a blocking T/E is excellent! But, IMHO he will never be an offensive threat in the NFL.
    Hmmm....
    So the other 31 teams systems must not require the TE to catch balls that are thrown to them, because that is Shanks problem.
    The 3 TD drops are just plain unexceptable.
    Being in the Vikes system another year will improve his route running and timing, but who wants to throw to a guy that might not catch the ball.
    Lets hope its our QB.
    ;D

Truth be told, even though his drops were bad, it was kindof indicative of alot of plays last year that kindof stemmed from inconsistent play which probably were caused by confusion of a unfamiliar scheme.

Most of the articles being written seem to allude to the fact that everyone seems to be more comfortable and know what is expected of them this year.
    Lets hope that is the case and consistency is the norm instead of a rarity this year.
    ;D

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

:

:

I read your post my friend.
    I actually re-read it....

It is good too see that he says he is slimmer and faster. Hopefully that won't effect his blocking.
    Because you said the word "Good" in there I didn't seem you were "Worried".
    ;D
    Yup that can be confusing. LOL. Well I think it is good because there is a possibility he did not get open enough. I am worried that it could take away from his blocking. I guess you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast