Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' Shiancoe ready to roll, not talk

[size=13pt]Vikings' Shiancoe ready to roll, not talk[/size]

By Tom Powers
    Pioneer Press
    twincities.com

Article Last Updated: 06/07/2008 11:37:35 PM CDT

Tight end Visanthe Shiancoe is remarkably upbeat for a fellow who slipped down a black hole in the Vikings' Kick-Ass Offense last year. But if there is one thing the disappointing 2007 season taught him, it's this....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' Shiancoe ready to roll, not talk

Did he drop a few? Yeah.
    More like a couple.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/few

usually small, number of.
    normally indicates a quantity of three.
    He had 2 dropped passes.

Point is that catching the ball was not really an issue. It seems to me like not getting open played a role. He even suggests that by his actions.

He became determined to run faster, more precise routes
    It is good too see that he says he is slimmer and faster. Hopefully that won't effect his blocking.

I think his numbers might have been due to not getting open but also game plan. I think he could have bee targeted more.

So far, he likes what he sees. In practice, there has been some emphasis on getting him the football.
    I don't want to get on this guy yet until I see him put in another season. Hopefully another offseason will help.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

As far as I'm concerned, Shiancoe is just one of a handfull of O players who really need to step it up this season....If they all do, man are we in for a show...
    ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Poorly constructed article. Not one of Mr. Powers prize winners in the objectivity category.
    All of that aside, I have to question why a back up to Shockey would be concerned about the difference in amenities between NY city and Minneapolis.
    If you are a tight end on this team you better be a good blocker.
    And I am surprised to see that Mills weighs as much as him.
    I don't blame him for wanting the ball thrown to him. But it sounds to me like ,say nothing means, ' I'm unhappy because I don't get the ball enough in this scheme. And I don't like blocking'.
    Personally, he doesn't impress me as a very good blocker.And he's teetering on the edge of free agent bust.
    Hope he proves me wrong.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I'm going to go ahead and say that KC stole that TD from him, so that would leave 1 drop...?

He just didn't get a lot of looks last year, and like Wade, Ferg, Rice and Allison, it was his first in the scheme, and there were times when all those guys didn't get to the right spot, missed a block, or TJack just missed them.
    I expect both TJack and these guys to all be better, and more, "on the same page," in general.

On the other hand, two of his biggest plays were passes from someone other than the QB.
    Rice threw that big bomb to him, and Mewelde tossed that TD that KC took away.
    I think we'll see more of Shank this year!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Shiancoe gets grip on the game - and the ball

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/19648214.html?location_refer=Vikings

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

lets hope him slimmy down took some weight outta his hands so he can make some more catches, i see him picking up 50 catches this year

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

tclawmen is offline Starter

I hope we are not heading down the same road with Shiancoe but......did we not say many of the same things about T. Williamson before everyone finally agreed he sucked? ... all he needs is another year in the system and he will start catching more balls..........he just needs to develope chemistry with Jackson.......
    the coaches need to include him in the game plan more......he is looking great in practice........ect. ect. ect.
    Now, before everyone wants to put me into PPO hell ..., I am not saying Shiancoe sucks. But, at the same time, he is what he is. A highly overpaid T/E whose primary job is to block. This offense goes thru A.P. and the running game and now that we have Berrian, Shaincoe will be even further down the food chain in terms of offensive opportunities.
    Time will tell but my guess is he wont catch more than 35 balls and score more than 2-3 T.D.s this year which for a blocking T/E is excellent! But, IMHO he will never be an offensive threat in the NFL.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think Shancoe is gonna prove some people wrong, IMO he had a decent season last year but was defenitly underutilized for whatever reason, maybe it was becase we hardly threw the ball and Tarvaris was in his first year starting. Shancoe had his highest production in games where Tarvaris did not play. Proving that Tarvaris needs to get better at utilizing his TE. Its also important to keep in mind last year was Shancoes first starting in our system along with a number of players. This year Shancoe should be able to go out and play without thinking, he knows what to do and where to be. I like the fact he dropped a few to become quicker, he has some decent speed and play making ability, he's also a very sound blocker. Shancoe has plenty of potential and look foward to his second year in.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"marstc09" wrote:
    I'm hoping they just start using their TE's more this season. IMO, We haven't utilized them enough since Tice & Wiggins were here.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast