Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Viking's Sharper says defensive schemes have changed

[size=13pt]Viking's Sharper says defensive schemes have changed[/size]

Posted at: 11/25/2007 07:43:41 PM

By: Ryan Kibbe
    kstp.com

Vikings safety Darren Sharper joyfully proclaimed the defensive schemes changed. More blitzing. The linebackers disguised the blitzes. The cornerbacks played more man-to-man coverage. He and his fellow safety Dwight Smith were given more freedom....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Viking's Sharper says defensive schemes have changed

Hmmm.....despite critisism from others, I have been stating that the scheme needs to change to cater to the players strengths.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Viking's Sharper says defensive schemes have changed
    And it paid off.
    Hopefully it can continue to.
    If they can keep playing at this level the games will be much more fun to watch, and I won't have to keep pulling my hair out every time the other team touches the ball.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Lets just hope they keep the confidence, keep making plays... most defenses are better when playing aggressively but it's a right you have to earn generally.
    They showed it against the Chargers and the Giants... that ought to be proof enough for the coaching staff.
    Just think, next week Winfield should be able to man up on the Lions...
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I hope we keep being aggressive with the blitz, and change our coverages keeping the other team off balance. Winfield coming back this week should make us even stronger. EJ Henderson is having a Pro-Bowl caliber year, and I look for him to be a big factor against the Lions.

Just like Childress, Frazier has learned what his players are good at, and down the stretch our playcalling and execution should continue to put our guys in a position to make plays, and play up to their strengths.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    Hmmm.....despite critisism from others, I have been stating that the scheme needs to change to cater to the players strengths.

But have they really changed or have the youngsters (McCauley, Griffing, Gordon) gotten better with time to open the playbook up a bit more allowing for the ball hawks to ad lib a bit?....... :

Our cornerbacks are young but getting better. We have the type of secondary that can be aggressive, make plays and be playmakers."
    We have been seeing a myriad of looks/blitz packages by the LB's since the Lions loss.
    We have been watching the use of both
    the 4-3 and 3-4 during games.
    We have been seeing the DT and DE dropping into coverage for the last 4 weeks.

What really changed?
    IMHO it is the experience the young guys are getting, but more importantly, the QB they were facing.

Rivers.....
    Together with a Backup Center the blitz scheme confused him.
    End result very ineffective.
    Favre....... It didn't confuse him and he picked us apart.
    End result, blow out.
    Daunte..... Not sure if he really got confused or his talent level has dropped off but it worked against him.
    Manning... Another young QB with a Dinged number 1 WR (who still got yards by the way) and some role players who were confused, breaking off routes or not reading the hot read resulting in a very poor performance.

Go back and look at the games.
    I really don't believe that the scheme has changed but more of it is being employed and only because the players are getting more comfortable in it and we faced another QB that could be rattled.

Not to rain on the happy day parade or anything but I wonder what will happen when we meet another QB with the experience of Lord Favreeeeee at QB and a running game that will exploit all the blitzing?

When you look at the rest of the games, I don't see anybody of his caliber in the mix.

13 Dec 02 DET @ MIN
    Kitna - Has the capability to read the blitz.
    Hopefully his struggles and thier lack of ability to run will make them 1 dimensional and we can blitz all day long.

14 Dec 09 MIN @ SF
    Smith - Could be rattled by it,
    T. Dilfer
    25/39 256 2 TD's yesterday.
    Might not be as easy to rattle as Smith. Lets hope they have Smith playing that day and Gore isn't 100%.

15 Dec 17 CHI @ MIN
    Sexy Rexy.
    Wrecks can come apart if the right pressure is applied.
    Might be a good fit against him.
    They won yesterday on the merits of Hester and not thier inept offense.

16 Dec 23 WAS @ MIN
    J. Campbell
    went 30/49 301 1 TD and 2 INT's yesterday.
    Young QB that might get rattled easy.
    Again might be a good fit. Lets hope Bettis and crew aren't up to par that day as well.

17 Dec 30 MIN @ DEN
    J. Cutler
    17/31 302 2 TD's and 1 INT yesterday.
    Sure they can't stop the run and he is young, however, he can also put up big numbers at times.
    His youth might be a hinderance and the scheme might work.

Long story short, we don't face any stellar QB's in the next few games, the kids will still be getting reps/experience and the play book will keep getting opened a bit more.

Hopefully that will mean that guys like Sharp and Tank will be given a bit more lattitude to free lance as our CB's get better at coverage, but if you really watched I don't think the scheme is changing, we are just seeing more of it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

But have they really changed or have the youngsters (McCauley, Griffing, Gordon) gotten better with time to open the playbook up a bit more allowing for the ball hawks to ad lib a bit?....... :
    Nope. They adjusted it.
    :P

Call it opening up the playbook if you must, but it's a look we haven't seen so far.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Nope. They adjusted it.

Call it opening up the playbook if you must, but it's a look we haven't seen so far.
    But we have.

a.
    The linebackers have been doing the very same thing since the Lions loss. Only new wrinkle we saw yesterday was the safeties blitz more and the LB's dropped into coverage more.
    Same scheme, new wrinkle = opening up the play book.

b.
    DT and DE have been dropping into coverage.
    My friend people on this very page were hacking on the coaching staff for doing it with Phat Pat against GB.
    What is the difference?
    QB experience.
    Same scheme, same wrinkle.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that you wouldn't give a 3rd grader a 12 grade level book.
    You would give him a 3rd grade book and gradually increase the corriculumn as thier experience level increases.

That isn't changing the scheme, that is opening up the playbook and revealing more of the scheme.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Nope. They adjusted it.

lol

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'll agree with Marrdro on this in that things are improving as players get used to the schemes and, especially the younger players, pick up more experience with what is being put out there.

It may well be that we still haven't put out our full defensive plays and schemes yet, as I don't think we have been at a level that Frasier has felt comfortable enough to release the full lot. Assuming he is here next season and we retain the same personnel, then I would expect to see far more blitzes, mixed packages etc next year.
    Despite the good play by our D they are still a work in progress and can be vastly improved. Assuming we keep some stability at DC then the possibilities are very good indeed for our defence.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast