singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' Sharper enjoys playing at Ford Field

From mlive.com

[size=18px]Vikings' Sharper enjoys playing at Ford Field[/size]

Sunday, December 4, 2005
    By Tom Kowalski

DETROIT -- Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper doesn't want anybody to take it the wrong way, but he's really looking forward to playing at Ford Field today against the Detroit Lions.

"It's more that I enjoy the stadium itself," said Sharper, who also played for the Green Bay Packers. "I like the field that they have. As far as the game, I know it's going to be a tough game because Detroit's a physical team. You pretty much assume every game is going to be tough.

"I just enjoy playing at Detroit, just with the atmosphere they have with their fans and the stadium that they have.

"I don't know if I liked the Silverdome as much, but I enjoy the facility and playing at Ford Field."

Sharper also enjoys playing against the Lions because he's had good games against them.

Sharper, who had an interception in the first meeting against the Lions this season, had his first career interception against Detroit, picking off a Scott Mitchell pass and returning it 50 yards for a Packers touchdown in 1997. Sharper also had a two-interception game against the Lions in 2001.

"You could call it luck. There's always a little bit of luck involved," said Sharper, who isn't the only Minnesota player to have good "luck" against the Lions.

Consider all the Vikings who got off to a good start against the Lions:

Head coach Mike Tice has a 7-0 record against the Lions and his first career victory (after four losses) was against Detroit in 2002.

Safety Corey Chavous scored his first career touchdown against the Lions, on an interception return in 2002.

Safety Corey Chavous scored his first career touchdown against the Lions, on an interception return in 2002.

Linebacker Lance Johnstone had the first sack of his career against Detroit in 1996.

Cornerback Brian Williams, who had his first career interception against the Lions in 2002, tied a club record with three interceptions in a game the following year against Detroit.

Wide receiver Nate Burleson had a career-high two touchdown catches against Detroit in a game last season.

What a difference a month can make. Prior to their first meeting this season -- a 27-14 Vikings victory on Nov. 6 -- the Lions were 3-4 and coming off a hard-luck overtime loss to the Chicago Bears. The Lions talked about getting back on track and staying within reach of the Bears for the NFC North division title.

The Vikings, meanwhile, were 2-5 and mired in a scandal involving some of their players, out-of-town strippers and two cruise boats. There were rumors that Tice was on the verge of being fired.

Now, it's Lions head coach Steve Mariucci who got fired while Tice, whose team has won four consecutive games, is back on solid footing. Sharper said he's glad the Vikings management didn't dump Tice earlier in the season.

"I can't say that losing a coach in the middle of the season, I really don't see the positives in that because of the fact that you're losing a guy who has been leading you since training camp," Sharper said. "It's like `Where do you go from there?' "

After winning their first 10 coin flips of the season (including one in overtime), the Lions have lost two in a row. . . . The Lions are 4-1 when outrushing opponents and 0-6 when they don't. . . . The Lions are a front-running team: they're 3-0 when leading at halftime and 0-6 when trailing after three quarters. . . . Eddie Drummond's longest kickoff return this season, in 35 attempts, is 41 yards. His backup, R.W. McQuarters has only returned eight kickoffs, but his longest is 43 yards. On punt returns, Drummond, a Pro Bowl returner last season, has a long of 14 yards on 20 returns. McQuarters, meanwhile, has seven returns and a long of 49 yards. . . . Strong safety Kenoy Kennedy is the Lions' leading tackler this season with 88 tackles. . . . Kalimba Edwards has a career-high seven sacks, but no other Lion has more than three (Jared DeVries).

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' Sharper enjoys playing at Ford Field

well lets hope he gets my picks and helps the team to victory.
    We're bringing purple back.