Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Can't wait till Spielman is fired. We are absolutely pitiful in the later rounds and we haven't been able to find a viable starting QB in over a decade... and Spielman specifically hasn't drafted a legitimate starting QB his entire career.

Viking Update did a story today about how we rank towards the bottom of the NFL in productivity from our first round talent:

Study: Vikings’ top picks in bottom half

The Vikings’ bang for the buck hasn’t been great over the last four years with their first picks. A study over the last four years shows the Vikings rank in the bottom half of the league for games played and starts with their first picks over the last four years. Details inside.

Scout.com: Study: Vikings
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Can't wait till Spielman is fired. We are absolutely pitiful in the later rounds and we haven't been able to find a viable starting QB in over a decade... and Spielman specifically hasn't drafted a legitimate starting QB his entire career.

Viking Update did a story today about how we rank towards the bottom of the NFL in productivity from our first round talent:
    I think that has a lot to do with Leslie Frazier being unwilling to give rookies playing time, favoring incompetent vets instead.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We are aweful in the late rounds. I have no faith in us finding players after the 3rd.

They drafted our starting LDE in the 4th round Brian Robison

They drafted Guion in the 5th round, he was in rotation until this year (UFA). Signed with the Pukers, I believe.

6th round we drafted our starting center, one on the best in the NFC.

We drafted Brinkley in the 5th round who started for us then left via FA and started for the Cardinals before coming back to us.

4th round we drafted Everson Griffin, who is our starting RDE.

We drafted Christian Ballard in the 4th round who was a stud if he didn't quit football. Many analysts predicted a breakout year for him before he left the game.

We also got Brandon Fusco in the 6th round our starting RG.

Jarius Wright was drafted in the 4th round, our starting Slot and he is progressing very well, he grade out very high by PFW.

4th round pick Rhett Ellison is very important in our system and still on our team.

6th round - Blair Walsh, nothing else needs to be said.

7th round- Audie Cole, who I think is the front runner for the Mike pos.

4th round Hodges- will compete to start at the will.

Mauti, 7th round, great pick very instinctive if he can come back from his knee injuries will be in the fight for the mike pos.

6th round we drafted Baca who I think will compete for the starting LG pos.

6th round we drafted Bond who was taken off our practice squad and played almost every game for Carolina.

I think if you look at other people's draft few teams have found starters and key role players in the later rounds than Spielman. But if you want to you can try to find them. I would say the teams you would find are GB, Pitt, Balt, Sea, very few others though.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 05-12-2014 at 12:06 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think that has a lot to do with Leslie Frazier being unwilling to give rookies playing time, favoring incompetent vets instead.
    I completely agree.

Further, that is about our FIRST few picks, not the 4th through 7th, which seemed to me to be the topic at hand.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I completely agree.

Further, that is about our FIRST few picks, not the 4th through 7th, which seemed to me to be the topic at hand.
    I caught that slight of hand maneuver as well. Felt that the 4-7th round poor drafting myth had already been adequately covered.

Now, its time for Kevon to weigh in by saying our 4-7th round picks only had significant roles because the rest of our players were so bad. Hard to win when our staff picks somebody other than what we covet.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I was afraid that Spielman was going to try to do the draft by himself, without a lot of input from his rookie head coach or his veteran OC.

Instead, it looks like Norv and Mike split a LOT of these picks, and Spielman differed to them and what they wanted for the team. My point is, if there are a lot of busts in the 4th-7th, it will be a team failure for once, not Solo Spielman's Suckage. Big change, in my opinion.

And if I am right, and even Spielman capitulated to his coaches, it mean he is sold on those 2 being a driving force in positive change. The whole atmosphere of the Vikings feels different, and better, to me.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12