View Poll Results: What do you think about the Vikings picking Anthony Barr at #9?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good choice

14 51.85%
  • Bad choice

4 14.81%
  • Undecided

9 33.33%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I think he will end up being a hand in the dirt DE… But, Spielman, on Sirius this afternoon, said "Zimmer already has a couple dozen plays/ideas on how to use Barr." He also indicated that they thought he was the third best edge rusher and said, "you can't coach what he has."
    I think they are going to move him all over the formation, but that he will mainly be an attack OLB on obvious pass rushing downs. We have a lot of big, strong DLineman to control the point of attack and free up our big fast guy to do some damage from outside.

For tonight, I'm hoping we address LG kinda early. I kind of hope they find a way to land Marcus Martin out of USC...big kid at 320lbs who can play C or OG well, but we'd need to get back into the 2nd very likely. I feel like an upgrade at that position helps the whole offense. Then I think CB or maybe another LB or possibly a Safety. I don't think we go WR or RB unless the value is just too much to pass up...I just feel there will still be value there later.

I'm fine with Rudolf as our no.1 TE, I think his stats suffered last year because they needed him to block. Elison got hurt week 1, and Rudolf missed half the season too. I also liked how Chase Ford stepped up late.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Very solid pickup. I would have liked to have gotten Mack, but not at all mad about Barr. I really thought that once Mack was gone, that the Vikings would go with Mosley. Obviously the Vikings had more in mind with Barr, and you couldn't go wrong there. I like the pick.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Zimmer wouldn't have picked him if he didn't think he could turn him into a star. I'm excited to see what Barr looks like in camp already.

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    Zimmer wouldn't have picked him if he didn't think he could turn him into a star. I'm excited to see what Barr looks like in camp already.
    +1

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Very solid pickup. I would have liked to have gotten Mack, but not at all mad about Barr. I really thought that once Mack was gone, that the Vikings would go with Mosley. Obviously the Vikings had more in mind with Barr, and you couldn't go wrong there. I like the pick.
    It was pretty obvious that Khalil Mack would not slip down to eight or nine. Barring space aliens messing with any GM without an aluminum foil hat, he was going to go top five.

Was Barr a good pick? I do not know.

Barr has physical ability. I mean, he is a monster on the field. He could be a game changer; he certainly was in college.

The problem with Barr is his inexperience at linebacker and with that comes lack of knowledge about his instincts and pass coverage ability. Great linebackers just know where to be, where to go, whom to cover, and whom to hit. That comes from playing the position over time, from knowing the scheme, and from instinctive talent. Barr may have it, may get it, or may never really be more than a prospect.

One must ask if the Vikings reached here. Barr was likely going to go in the mid first round. He could have dropped to the late first or even the early second round, but that would have been a bad gamble had the Viking really had him on the top of their board.

Was Anthony Barr a top ten pick on any board other than the Vikings? Not for the other eight teams that drafted before them, and not likely for many other teams either. The problem was that other teams may have wanted Barr at 12 to 17, and the Vikings only had one pick. If they could not move down, they would need to take the BPA on their board.

Justin Gilbert and Ha Ha Clinton Dix were on the board at corner and safety. The Browns exchanged places with the Vikings and picked up Gilbert. Clinton Dix, the best safety in the draft, fell to the arch-rival Packers at 21 (a value pick).

Did the Vikings get value at pick nine? Not likely. Moving down five or six picks could have netted the Vikings another mid round pick, and they still would have had a good chance to get their guy.

With Mack off the board, Barr will be compared with C.J. Mosely and Ryan Shazier for draft value. Mosely has shown excellent coverage skills and is more NFL ready - as long as he stays healthy. Mosely was drafted at 17 by the Ravens.

Ryan Shazier, who was drafted by the Steelers at 15, has also shown great linebacker instincts and physical ability as a linebacker at Ohio State. Shazier is not as tall as Barr, but he is faster, stronger, and more experienced. Both Shazier and Barr play outside lineback, while Mosely may play either outside or inside.

This assumes Anthony Barr can even cut it at linebacker in the NFL. The scouting reports indicate he still has a ways to go to even match up to the better college linebackers in instincts and reactions to plays. Barr could end up a defensive end. He could be the next Chris Doleman, or he could be the next NFL bust. It is too early to tell, but that is a lot of risk with a top ten pick in the NFL draft.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    If Zimmer believes in a defensive philosophy that involves getting pressure on the QB he's my guy. I watched the famous Purple People Eaters and that was some damn fun football.
    Me too! I remember watching the Purple People Eaters as a child, and they were my heroes growing up! When they would block kicks and punts and return them all the way for touchdowns, I got so excited! Great memories!

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    The pick of Anthony Barr at #9 initially had me scratching my head a bit. However, the more I thought about it, the more I like it. Barr's size reminds me of Chris Doleman, who I recall was a very fine DE/OLB. If we are going to more of a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3 defense, then the pick of Barr makes sense. The fact that he's raw doesn't scare me. He can effectively rush the passer with his speed, and can help the Vikings do a better job of FORCING TURNOVERS, which (in my opinion) is a GLARING need.

Selfishly, I wanted the Vikings to trade up to #5 with Oakland to pick Mack. But, if we did that, we may have lost out on Bridgewater (who I thought was the second-best QB in the draft, behind Bortles). Getting Mack and Bridgewater makes for a sensible, smart first-round, Remember that we have a new coaching regime as well! We'll be fine going forward.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    It was pretty obvious that Khalil Mack would not slip down to eight or nine. Barring space aliens messing with any GM without an aluminum foil hat, he was going to go top five.

Was Barr a good pick? I do not know.

Barr has physical ability. I mean, he is a monster on the field. He could be a game changer; he certainly was in college.

The problem with Barr is his inexperience at linebacker and with that comes lack of knowledge about his instincts and pass coverage ability. Great linebackers just know where to be, where to go, whom to cover, and whom to hit. That comes from playing the position over time, from knowing the scheme, and from instinctive talent. Barr may have it, may get it, or may never really be more than a prospect.

One must ask if the Vikings reached here. Barr was likely going to go in the mid first round. He could have dropped to the late first or even the early second round, but that would have been a bad gamble had the Viking really had him on the top of their board.

Was Anthony Barr a top ten pick on any board other than the Vikings? Not for the other eight teams that drafted before them, and not likely for many other teams either. The problem was that other teams may have wanted Barr at 12 to 17, and the Vikings only had one pick. If they could not move down, they would need to take the BPA on their board.

Justin Gilbert and Ha Ha Clinton Dix were on the board at corner and safety. The Browns exchanged places with the Vikings and picked up Gilbert. Clinton Dix, the best safety in the draft, fell to the arch-rival Packers at 21 (a value pick).

Did the Vikings get value at pick nine? Not likely. Moving down five or six picks could have netted the Vikings another mid round pick, and they still would have had a good chance to get their guy.

With Mack off the board, Barr will be compared with C.J. Mosely and Ryan Shazier for draft value. Mosely has shown excellent coverage skills and is more NFL ready - as long as he stays healthy. Mosely was drafted at 17 by the Ravens.

Ryan Shazier, who was drafted by the Steelers at 15, has also shown great linebacker instincts and physical ability as a linebacker at Ohio State. Shazier is not as tall as Barr, but he is faster, stronger, and more experienced. Both Shazier and Barr play outside lineback, while Mosely may play either outside or inside.

This assumes Anthony Barr can even cut it at linebacker in the NFL. The scouting reports indicate he still has a ways to go to even match up to the better college linebackers in instincts and reactions to plays. Barr could end up a defensive end. He could be the next Chris Doleman, or he could be the next NFL bust. It is too early to tell, but that is a lot of risk with a top ten pick in the NFL draft.
    I'm with you; the only thing I can figure is we could not find anyone interested in trading for the #9, at least to a position where Zimmer still got Barr. The only way this makes sense is Zimmer really wanted Barr, so we could not drop back farther than say 12-14.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345