View Poll Results: What do you think about the Vikings picking Anthony Barr at #9?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good choice

    14 51.85%
  • Bad choice

    4 14.81%
  • Undecided

    9 33.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48
  1. #31
    RK.'s Avatar
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    4,462
    We had to replace the loss of Jared Allen. I think Zim felt this was his best shot of doing that.

    WWBGD

  2. #32
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    595
    He is a good kid, and as long as he stays healthy, I think its a solid pick at an area we have left neglected. I'm sad (and many of you will know why), but I promised to trust our coaches, so I'm hoping for the best.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  3. #33
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Damn. Fuller to a rival.
    I hated him going to the Bears too, was hoping he might drop far enough for us to move our 2nd up on him...early mocks had him going to us at 40...oh well, at least we'll get to see how he develops, eh. D'oh!

    I'm totally down with the Barr pick. His athletic numbers are everything that Mack and Clowney put up and more in some cases, he just doesn't have as much experience and thus production at this position. On his turf, at UCLA proday, he ran a 4.44 40-yard dash at 6"5" and 265 lbs...that is one hell of a size/speed combination!! And, his wingspan is huge, reminiscent of an early Peppers.

    NFL.com Draft Ranking: Top 10 (No. 6)
    Size: 6-5, 265 pounds
    Speed: 4.44 in 40-yard dash at UCLA pro day

    Production: 27 games played/started, 148 tackles, 41.5 TFLs, 23.5 sacks, 9 forced fumbles, 6 pass breakups, 1 blocked kick in 2 seasons at OLB
    Accolades: Consensus All-American (2013); First-Team All-Pac-12 (2012, 2013); 2013 Lott IMPACT Award winner; Finalist for Lombardi, Bednarik and Butkus awards
    NFL.com Scouting Profile: “A highly disruptive, athletic specimen with the pass-rush potential to effortlessly emerge as a double-digit sack producer. Is far from a finished product and his best football is still ahead of him, yet he plays the game with more of an offensive temperament and could require some patience. Is the type of rare athlete that could even contribute as an offensive playmaker once he learns to grasp defensive concepts and the game slows down for him.”
    NFL Draft: The Basics on UCLA LB Anthony Barr


    I feel like we have the right coaching staff in place to polish the rest of his game while playing him mostly as a pass rush specialist early on in his career. This defense we are building is getting interesting. I see a lot of bigger, stronger type DLineman, who's first effort is going to be to stuff the run, and control their front line, freeing up a size/speed freak like Barr to destroy QBs from OLB. I think we'll play more man, press coverage outside, and ask our Safeties to cover more due to sending that extra rusher more. I think it will be aggressive and fun to watch, and, very likely, complemented by a somewhat conservative offense that still features Peterson, but with more play action strikes down field. Something that Teddy B looked real smooth running in the highlights I watched last night, and his completion % last year was better than any NFL QB put up.

    Looks like one hell of a good start to our 2014 Vikings Draft to me!!!!

    SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!

    BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  4. #34
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    87
    I wanted Gilbert a little bit more, but I had him and Barr 6 and 7th ranked for us so its not a bad pick. He can take over Chad's strong side spot. Let Everson slide inside to the nose for 4-2-5 nickel. Barr can rush from anywhere off the ball in a 3-3-5 nickel as well.

    It's a swing for the fences type pick so it'll take a year or two to get a handle on what improvements he makes and what weaknesses are there for good.

  5. #35
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I hated him going to the Bears too, was hoping he might drop far enough for us to move our 2nd up on him...early mocks had him going to us at 40...oh well, at least we'll get to see how he develops, eh. D'oh!

    I'm totally down with the Barr pick. His athletic numbers are everything that Mack and Clowney put up and more in some cases, he just doesn't have as much experience and thus production at this position. On his turf, at UCLA proday, he ran a 4.44 40-yard dash at 6"5" and 265 lbs...that is one hell of a size/speed combination!! And, his wingspan is huge, reminiscent of an early Peppers.



    NFL Draft: The Basics on UCLA LB Anthony Barr


    I feel like we have the right coaching staff in place to polish the rest of his game while playing him mostly as a pass rush specialist early on in his career. This defense we are building is getting interesting. I see a lot of bigger, stronger type DLineman, who's first effort is going to be to stuff the run, and control their front line, freeing up a size/speed freak like Barr to destroy QBs from OLB. I think we'll play more man, press coverage outside, and ask our Safeties to cover more due to sending that extra rusher more. I think it will be aggressive and fun to watch, and, very likely, complemented by a somewhat conservative offense that still features Peterson, but with more play action strikes down field. Something that Teddy B looked real smooth running in the highlights I watched last night, and his completion % last year was better than any NFL QB put up.

    Looks like one hell of a good start to our 2014 Vikings Draft to me!!!!

    SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!

    BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!!
    The first mock draft I ever saw had us taking Barr at #8... weird, huh? I'm with you, let's get motivated on the team the coaches we like put together.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  6. #36
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    The first mock draft I ever saw had us taking Barr at #8... weird, huh? I'm with you, let's get motivated on the team the coaches we like put together.
    Me too ... I saw a ton of mocks early on that had us taking Barr.

    I don't hate the pick. I think a lot of people had him slipping the last couple of weeks, but it is apparent now that a few teams behind us would have been pretty interested in him ... including Dallas a 16.

    I am not sold on him as an LB though. I think he will struggle against the run and in coverage ... which means he better be UNBELIEVABLE in pass rushing situations. His measureables are unreal though ... and he could certainly develop into a great cover backer as well.

    There is no doubt that the first thing Coach Zimmer wanted to do was fix his defensive line and LB spots to get pressure the way HE wants to. With Joseph in the fold and with Barr, he thinks he is starting to make that much more in the mold he wants.

  7. #37
    purplehelmut's Avatar
    purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central WV
    Posts
    480
    If Zimmer believes in a defensive philosophy that involves getting pressure on the QB he's my guy. I watched the famous Purple People Eaters and that was some damn fun football.

  8. #38
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    595
    Well, scratch LB and QB off the list, for better or worst. We now need at least one Safety, another Cornerback and a OL Guard.

    Any predictions as to where we go now?

    Something also tells me we might be looking for a TE if one we really like falls to the third or fourth (more likely). Rudolph really kinda disappointed last year, as defenses seemed to have figured out how to minimize the damage he was doing so well in 2012. Plus there are a few who look like great 1-2 year projects.

    I like WR Jordan Matthews, cousin to Jerry Rice, as long as the coaches think they can make him FORGET he is the cousin to Rice and needs to prove himself by his own actions. But I REALLY like Jarvis Landry, a Steve Smith sort of WR who can wear down his defenders physically. I LOVE his attitude.

    I hope Zimmer really does have the magic for the draft we have all been expecting!!
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  9. #39
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Well, scratch LB and QB off the list, for better or worst. We now need at least one Safety, another Cornerback and a OL Guard.

    Any predictions as to where we go now?

    Something also tells me we might be looking for a TE if one we really like falls to the third or fourth (more likely). Rudolph really kinda disappointed last year, as defenses seemed to have figured out how to minimize the damage he was doing so well in 2012. Plus there are a few who look like great 1-2 year projects.

    I like WR Jordan Matthews, cousin to Jerry Rice, as long as the coaches think they can make him FORGET he is the cousin to Rice and needs to prove himself by his own actions. But I REALLY like Jarvis Landry, a Steve Smith sort of WR who can wear down his defenders physically. I LOVE his attitude.

    I hope Zimmer really does have the magic for the draft we have all been expecting!!
    I think that a CB and Safety or a couple of these positions are pretty much musts. I would also expect an interior lineman at some point. There are a ton of college centers that can play guard, so there is a lot of depth there.

    I definitely think we will target a WR and RB as well. So it will be interesting to see what we are doing. We could fill RB in free agency if needed to go get the other positions of need.

  10. #40
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,562
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Per my previous post, check this out… Anthony Barr, Sports Science

    Sport Science: Anthony Barr - YouTube
    I think he will end up being a hand in the dirt DE… But, Spielman, on Sirius this afternoon, said "Zimmer already has a couple dozen plays/ideas on how to use Barr." He also indicated that they thought he was the third best edge rusher and said, "you can't coach what he has."

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •