Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    This is just my opinion and I am NOT an authority on the draft, but I absolutely HATE this draft so far:
    Barr: A 3-4 linebacker? Is he going to be a DE? An OLB?
    Bridgewater: I think Carr was a better pick and we probably could have grabbed him without trading up.
    Crichton: I like him, but why not go with a CB, DT, MLB here? We have huge needs still unfilled on D.
    McKinnon: Knowing we still have huge needs on D, we pick a project in round 3?

I know Bridgewater was a value pick at the end of 1, Barr is a freak athlete, but overall I'm not impressed.
    Part of these concerns is not knowing what our new schemes are going to look like yet. We have ideas based off of what they've done in the past, but we've never seen Zimmer as HC making all the top decisions for his defense.

Now that we've seen a bit of Free Agents and Draft Picks brought in, I'm seeing that he wants a big, strong DLine, with ends who maybe aren't as flashy or pass rush oriented as a Jared Allen, but have the strength to move blockers off of their trajectory, putting kinks in the offenses plans, and freeing up a superfreak size/speed guy like Barr to be able to fly to the ball carrier or QB from outside. While I don't think it will truly be a 3-4, it will have some similarities at times, and this hybrid look might be enough to keep opponents guessing and changing their gameplans. It is also obvious that he wants a strong deep rotation along his DL, as evidenced by adding Crichton to the many similar guys we already had in Robison, Griffen and Wooten.

Actually, Carr went with the 4th pick of the 2nd round to OAK, who had been attached to him in the media for weeks, so he wasn't available at our 2nd round pick. I prefer Bridgewater anyway, and HOU might have snagged him at 33. I'm glad we moved up to get our guy. TB seems to flourish with extra pressure in his face and looks very smooth and convincing executing play-action fakes, great fits for our team. He was the most accurate passer in this draft and did not have the benefit of playing with any highly touted and already drafted WRs like Carr and Manziel did.

I think the argument could be made that we went BPA with all these picks...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Part of these concerns is not knowing what our new schemes are going to look like yet. We have ideas based off of what they've done in the past, but we've never seen Zimmer as HC making all the top decisions for his defense.

Now that we've seen a bit of Free Agents and Draft Picks brought in, I'm seeing that he wants a big, strong DLine, with ends who maybe aren't as flashy or pass rush oriented as a Jared Allen, but have the strength to move blockers off of their trajectory, putting kinks in the offenses plans, and freeing up a superfreak size/speed guy like Barr to be able to fly to the ball carrier or QB from outside. While I don't think it will truly be a 3-4, it will have some similarities at times, and this hybrid look might be enough to keep opponents guessing and changing their gameplans. It is also obvious that he wants a strong deep rotation along his DL, as evidenced by adding Crichton to the many similar guys we already had in Robison, Griffen and Wooten.

Actually, Carr went with the 4th pick of the 2nd round to OAK, who had been attached to him in the media for weeks, so he wasn't available at our 2nd round pick. I prefer Bridgewater anyway, and HOU might have snagged him at 33. I'm glad we moved up to get our guy. TB seems to flourish with extra pressure in his face and looks very smooth and convincing executing play-action fakes, great fits for our team. He was the most accurate passer in this draft and did not have the benefit of playing with any highly touted and already drafted WRs like Carr and Manziel did.

I think the argument could be made that we went BPA with all these picks...
    Yes from the looks of things gone are the Tampa 2 and multi TE scheme or re fried KAO and we are going to a speed attack on the QB mix on the D and McKinnon looks like a speedy guy in space mix (slot, backfield, out at the numbers, blocker) and Bridgewater was picked to be the guy under center make the reads and make the calls (not run around, turn his back to the defense and throw a low pass while leaning back)
    Doesn't mean this is going to all work tomorrow but it is the big step in change of the program

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Spielman Discusses Third Round Picks

This press conference answered a lot of my questions. McKinnon was drafted to play RB, and specifically, a third down change of pace RB. They are convinced that he will improve his blocking and receiving with coaching due to him possessing the physical ability and being "willing," and liking what they saw of him running routes at his work out. He called him explosive when talking about his potential to block and with those 32 reps of 225, I tend to believe him. This kid might be better than Sproles in a year or two, or could fail, but seems well worth a gamble at the end of the 3rd, pretty much a mid round pick.

He said Crichton was the "top rated player on our board," and said they pretty much stick to the board. He also called him a guy who, "can hold the point." Kind of backing up what I'm thinking about what I've noticed as the bigger stronger movement along our DLine...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    We used 2 3rd rounders to draft Backups and possible positions of strength. We had serious holes else where. We do not have 3 WRs. Simpson is a ghost. Shows up for 1 game a year and is mister nobody for 13. Say the same to Wright.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We used 2 3rd rounders to draft Backups and possible positions of strength. We had serious holes else where. We do not have 3 WRs. Simpson is a ghost. Shows up for 1 game a year and is mister nobody for 13. Say the same to Wright.
    The better teams do not draft for the next season; they draft for two or three seasons out. If teams pretty much draft the BPA, they will be better in the long run.

That stated, teams do have players in several areas similarly rated, so the BPA is not cut and dry.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    depth chart isn't set during the draft

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I like this kid, and having AP doesn't mean we can ignore the RB position. AP DOES get hurt, and the Asiata kid was less than thrilling. We needed a replacement for Toby, and we got him; that I like the pick is a cherry on top.

So far, this draft looks good to me, and I'm a little surprised so many here are not just dissatisfied, but down-right disgusted.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Project players of this typ should not be taken in the 3rd round when we have as many needs as we do. Combine numbers are just that, combine numbers. He is a huge work in progress.
    i completely agree.... We over drafted him... and if you look at this tape. He gets caught from behind a lot which should not happen if you are as fast as he's supposed to be...

Quote Originally Posted by purpleblood32 View Post
    maybe i jumped the gun on bashing spielman and this kid ....might be a good scat back option ...but i saw his game tape ..he didnt catch many passes ....

Georgia Southern has run the triple option forever and McKinnon was a quarterback until this season for them. When they beat Florida this year they had 0 pass yards and over 300 yards rush yards, so that gives you an idea of how much passing they did.

I like the pick. He was the best athlete in the draft at running back and he runs with great pad level so he always falls forward. High highlight video is fun to watch, especially if you like option football:

Georgia Southern Football - 2013 - Jerick McKinnon - YouTube

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by DiehardVikesFan View Post
    Georgia Southern has run the triple option forever and McKinnon was a quarterback until this season for them. When they beat Florida this year they had 0 pass yards and over 300 yards rush yards, so that gives you an idea of how much passing they did.

I like the pick. He was the best athlete in the draft at running back and he runs with great pad level so he always falls forward. High highlight video is fun to watch, especially if you like option football:

Georgia Southern Football - 2013 - Jerick McKinnon - YouTube
    My HS ran the option. I have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast