Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Really a tough pick to swallow when Nix III and Chris Borland were still on the board.

Wish we would have given up a third and fifth to move up for Jean-Babtiste.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Just like you were saying about our young LBs, Zimmer may think Josh Robinson can be coached up to play outside effectively when Cap'n moves inside. Or that Prater and/or Cox may step up their games with better coaching and/or a better scheme fit.

Also, while adding another WR with a high ceiling is very tempting, we do have some depth there with Simpson and Wright battling for no.3 and Thielen, Smith and a couple of other guys battling for 5th.

Left Guard is the one spot where I'd really like to see some serious competition brought in...but, guys like Yankey, Cyril Richardson and Dozier are still available, and we do have last year's developmental guy, Baca, as well.

Obviously, that DL rotation is very important in Zimmer's opinion, and it is hard to argue that when you consider our division's QBs...
    Everything you says makes sense. However, I think we have a log jam at DE and DT. Also you don't pay a guy the money we are paying Giffen to be a rotational player.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Everything you says makes sense. However, I think we have a log jam at DE and DT. Also you don't pay a guy the money we are paying Giffen to be a rotational player.
    Allen was on a snap count and was paid way more to rotate

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Allen was on a snap count and was paid way more to rotate
    Past mistakes shouldn't be repeated. An Allen wasn't on a snap count. I think he played something like 76% of our snaps.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecocksbaseball31 View Post
    Really a tough pick to swallow when Nix III and Chris Borland were still on the board.

Wish we would have given up a third and fifth to move up for Jean-Babtiste.
    I would have liked all of those players too, but we do have Cole and signed Joseph to play NT and Nix obviously has some injury issues or he would have went earlier.

The guy I wanted went 2 picks before us, Marcus Martin. He played 2 years of LG before moving to C and at 320 lbs has the strength and bulk to play either spot in the NFL...a serious upgrade to LG now and a better backup option at C if Sully gets hurt.

But this kid does have some short area burst and some versatility having played all along the DL.

I know we're paying Joseph and Griffen chunks of bucks, but I'm starting to think we're going to see a lot of rotating of where they all line up in addition to the rotation of who is on the field with whom...and it could very well mean nightmares for opposing QBs trying to figure out which one of these guys to double team and who to look out for this down!?!!

And that might be really, really fun to watch!! SKOL!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Zimmer runs a complex defense, so I will not question the picks he makes for that defense.

We solved the guard problem, but still need more with the defensive backs... I THINK.

I'll trust that to Zimmer in the end. I hate the way NFL Network runs day three of the draft, I lose too many picks with their coverage.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Just throwing this out here... Might be the drinks flowing. Any chance we see Griffen play some LB with all the DLine guys we have? Does he have the coverage ability?

Quote Originally Posted by gamecocksbaseball31 View Post
    Just throwing this out here... Might be the drinks flowing. Any chance we see Griffen play some LB with all the DLine guys we have? Does he have the coverage ability?
    They tried Griffen at OLB it in the preseason in 2012 and if I remember right he was switched back to strictly end pretty quick. I think they are probably planning on using Wooton quite a bit at DT and Crichton will be in the rotation. Crichton also seems to have the frame to play inside on passing downs as well.
    Last edited by DiehardVikesFan; 05-11-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12