View Poll Results: Who's the Vikings's biggest backup superstar?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rhett Ellison. TE/FB

    1 5.26%
  • Jarius Wright. WR

    3 15.79%
  • Everson Griffin, DE

    12 63.16%
  • Joe Webb, QB/WR

    2 10.53%
  • Toby Gerhart, RB

    1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Vikings' Secret Superstar

    Every team has a player who deserves more credits than he receives from the casual fan. According to ProFootballFocus, Rhett Ellison was the Vikings' hidden gem last season.

    Article: Secret Superstar: Rhett Ellison
    (A good article, just ignore the one error: I'm sure Ellison is taller than Jim Kleinsasser. Must be a typo or something.)

    Critics were saying that Rhett Ellison was drafted a little too early because he doesn't possess outstanding qualities. Personally, I think that using a 4th round pick on a durable high character "do-it-all" player is a draft pick well used. As the article above says, Ellison is the "Jack of All Trades":
    Although his forte was his run blocking, Ellison graded positively in every facet of the game. He received a +2.8 grade for his pass blocking, where he gave up zero sacks and hits, and did not allow a QB pressure until the playoff game against the Packers. He wasnít targeted often as a receiver, but he made the most of his opportunities, posting a +1.6 grade on the season. Another impressive aspect of Ellisonís play was that he didnít commit a penalty the entire season.
    ProFootballFocus also mentions Vikings Pro Bowl FB Jerome Felton:
    He was our third-rated NFC fullback with a +9.3 grade on the season. He also had a +7.9 run blocking grade last year, good for second in the NFC. However, as good as Jerome Felton was last year, the wrong Vikingís fullback may have made the Pro-Bowl.

    Enter Rhett Ellison. He played just 251 snaps at fullback, compared to Feltonís 402, but in those limited snaps he posted a +15.8 overall grade and a +9.8 grade in run blocking ó both good for tops in the NFC and second in the entire NFL.
    Wow! I didn't know Rhett Ellison graded out that well. I have been impressed with him so far. I can't remember one really bad thing he has done on the field and I think he's an underrated receiver.

    How a player receives the label "secret" is up to the individual I guess. At first I thought the PFF article was going to be about John Sullivan as they've been praising him for years now, but I guess a player can't be considered much of a secret when he's the starter, and over multiple seasons as in the case of Sullivan. I think Ellison gets first place as the Vikings' Secret Superstar on my list if you emphasize "secret" since many Vikings fans probably don't even know who he is. Plus, he's maybe the most versatile player on the roster at the moment. However, when emphasizing "superstar" then Everson Griffen gets my vote. That might be because I payed closer attention to him last season, but he was fricken awesome last year!
    Last edited by HEY; 05-30-2013 at 02:41 PM.

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Who freaking picked Joe Webb as our biggest backup superstar? Seriously, did you not watch the playoff game last year? In fact, why is he even on this list? He isn't even a QB anymore, and he has done exactly zero as a WR. The other four have at least shown us what they can do at their respective positions.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,022
    I voted wright. Really liked the little bit I saw from him last year. Reminds me alot of Harvin. Small, but very quick with good hands. I believe he could become a breakout player if given the chance.

  4. #4
    Culpepper_4717's Avatar
    Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Who freaking picked Joe Webb as our biggest backup superstar? Seriously, did you not watch the playoff game last year? In fact, why is he even on this list? He isn't even a QB anymore, and he has done exactly zero as a WR. The other four have at least shown us what they can do at their respective positions.
    I picked my boy Mr. Webb, it says "secret" in the title and to me that means not known or seen. We've seen all the others at their positions and know what they can do, but have yet to wee Webb at WR.

    Did you not watch Tuesday night football against the eagles? He did just fine there.. The playoff game in GB probably had more to do with Musgrave failing to adjust the gameplan to Webb's skill set than it does Webb's ability to play QB, but he's not a QB anymore so that's that.

    He was just moved to WR, what exactly is it that you wanted him to accomplish thus far at the position?

  5. #5
    Culpepper_4717's Avatar
    Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    595
    Not usually a fan of whats posted on BR, but I wanted to share these numbers.

    Using Webb's pro day numbers (from NFLDraftScout) and comparing them to all receivers who attended the NFL combine between 1999 and 2013 (from nflcombineresults.com), one can see how rare Webb is:

    40-yard dash: 4.44 seconds, which was in the top 20 percent of all receivers.
    10-yard split: 1.54 seconds, in the top half of all receivers.
    Vertical Jump: 42.5 inches, which was in the top percent of receivers.
    Broad Jump: 137 inches, the top score of any receiver.
    Short Shuttle: 4.04 seconds, in the top 10 percent of all receivers.
    3-Cone Drill: 6.71 seconds, in the top 10 percent of all receivers.
    Bench Press: 21 reps, in the top five percent of all receivers.
    Of the receivers whose full data are available, only Calvin Johnson outperformed Webb, with athletic luminaries like Greg Little and Vincent Jackson falling behind him. Given Webb's enormous hands (10.75 inches) and fantastic length (33.75 inches), he has even more to offer than his combine measureables.
    Minnesota Vikings: Will Joe Webb Succeed at Wide Receiver? | Bleacher Report

  6. #6
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    Well they sure as hell make a good argument for Ellison! Good Read! Got to love the down to earth, blue collar, get-er-done mentality of the kid for sure!! Perfect fit for our Vikings, and hopefully, plenty potential to be even better in the future. But, I had to vote for Everson Griffen.

    He doesn't get very many snaps compared to the 2 starters in front of him, but he has consistently brought results when given an oppurtunity. Last year he racked up 8 sacks, 3 of which were in that last regular season game vs. the hated Packers. In St. Louis he dropped into coverage, much like a MLB, and picked off a pass for an impressive 29 yard TD return. As a young athlete who seems to be turning his life around and focusing on football, E-Griff has the athletic ability to succeed and with his growing experience the potential is there to someday out play Allen, and perhaps, given Allen's age, sooner than later.

    Tho, Jared Allen is still getting it done too, and playing a hell of a lot of snaps according to this...

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...y-may-24-2013/

    Got to wonder if he might hold up even better with E-Griff taking a few more of his reps...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  7. #7
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Who freaking picked Joe Webb as our biggest backup superstar? Seriously, did you not watch the playoff game last year? In fact, why is he even on this list? He isn't even a QB anymore, and he has done exactly zero as a WR. The other four have at least shown us what they can do at their respective positions.
    But he was a secret star, people wanted Ponder to sit and put Webb in until he hit the field and well the secret wasn't a secret anymore we saw him ......suck

  8. #8
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,546
    Rhett was brought in to replace one of my all time fav players.
    he should be able to catch. but not his greatest point
    he can road grade like his #'s sake..
    he has the attitude
    he's got the size..

    now if he just had a stylish name like flyin saucer..

    but I had to vote for EG.. in the limited reps he got, he was a factor. they tried to move him into a different position to utilize his abilities.. ended up back on the line, and he has shown he deserves to be there.

    he will be a great DE, can shift to either side, and has the drive to keep getting better. I think JA has really pushed this kid, and i'm loving the development.

    EG for me is a secret star waiting to emerge here in the near future.

    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  9. #9
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Who freaking picked Joe Webb as our biggest backup superstar? Seriously, did you not watch the playoff game last year? In fact, why is he even on this list? He isn't even a QB anymore, and he has done exactly zero as a WR. The other four have at least shown us what they can do at their respective positions.
    Apparently the majority did. I picked EG myself.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #10
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Apparently the majority did. I picked EG myself.
    out of 18 votes Webb got 2 and Griff got 11.....you might need to adjust them bifocals when reading the stats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •