Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings - Seahawks Post-game rants, raves & observations

Nice video of AD's runs....

http://www.nfl.com/players/adrianpeterson/profile?id=PET260705

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

There are a few key differences in our offense from this year and our offense from last year that I think will make games a lot more interesting.

-Tarvaris Jackson can physically make plays that Brad Johnson couldn't. Noodle arm could read all the plays well but wasn't in an offense that played to his strengths and couldn't make the passes when he did see them.

-The running game is going to be a lot better. We all know why.

-The wide receivers, IMO, are improved. Wade looks a lot better than any of our receivers from last year. I also like what I see out of rice.

-The offensive line has had a year to improve together and should be better as a unit. Key word is should.. Ryan cook gave that a bit of question mark yesterday but I actually like the direction that our o-line is going in.

People can say that Tarvaris is nowhere near as good as brad but I just see Tarvaris making tough passes that Brad couldn't make last year. I can't wait for the regular season to see our real offense for sure.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Redmption" wrote:
    The defense was killing me at times, very much bend not break but I hate all the passing yards they give up. Loved Winfield and Wade, but were did Williamson dissapear to? From what I saw he only had that one deep ball thrown his way. The pass protection just seemed awful. There were times that just the front four was getting pressure on TJ. Our defensive pressure was good but it didnt provide too much help. There were several times a guy got into the back field only to miss the tackle on the RB or Hasselbeck. I loved TJs velocity on the ball and he made mostly good desicions, but some of his deep balls he really under threw and I wonder if he is trying to over compensate from too much over throw in camp. To me its way worse to under throw because thats when most INTs happed. Good god special teams is bad...
    Hate to keep harping on this point but........

The WCO doesn't rely on deep balls like we saw during the "Randy Ratio" days.
    T-will is only gonna see a few per game.

Throw in the fact the B-wade is quick off the line and gets open before the deeper stuff (3-5 Step drops) develops the deep ball just won't be there until we get everybody cheating up to stop the run and stop the slants/quick outs etc.

On a side note, as B-wade gets more passes, D's will start watching him.
    Thereby T-will should get a few more his way.

Its all a chess match in the WCO my friends.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    There are a few key differences in our offense from this year and our offense from last year that I think will make games a lot more interesting.

-Tarvaris Jackson can physically make plays that Brad Johnson couldn't. Noodle arm could read all the plays well but wasn't in an offense that played to his strengths and couldn't make the passes when he did see them.

-The running game is going to be a lot better. We all know why.

-The wide receivers, IMO, are improved. Wade looks a lot better than any of our receivers from last year. I also like what I see out of rice.

-The offensive line has had a year to improve together and should be better as a unit. Key word is should.. Ryan cook gave that a bit of question mark yesterday but I actually like the direction that our o-line is going in.

People can say that Tarvaris is nowhere near as good as brad but I just see Tarvaris making tough passes that Brad couldn't make last year. I can't wait for the regular season to see our real offense for sure.
    Excellent post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Mr" wrote:
    Cons:

1: Special Teams: The special teams really blew it for us. There was some really poor punt coverage, and our returns were nothing special either.

2: Stupid Mistakes/Penalties: Cook. Cook. Cook. Cook. Cook!!! 2 false starts on the first two drives. Fumbled snap.

3: Tackling: Arm tackles on a lot of outside runs by several different players, not breaking down and wrapping up(Griffin)

Pros:

1: The Passing Game: Tarvaris Jackson looked great. He had great velocity on his throws and showed a lot of accuracy. He still has some work to do, and has to get a little more comfortable on the field, but overall he looked excellent last night. And Bobby Wade!!! He was phenomenal, great game. Rice also looked good, he made one nice grab early on, I wish he could have shown what he could do in the redzone though. That longball that everyone is saying was underthrown was not TJacks fault. He got hit as he was throwing it and that put a totally different trajectory on the ball, it went much higher than intended and thats why it was short.

2: Running Attack: Chester Taylor looked excellent, Peterson once again was a stud. The man is a thoroughbred, beast plain and simple I can't wait to see what kind of numbers he puts up.

3: Defense: I blame the offense and special teams for those first two field goals, there was nothing the d could do to prevent them, we should be happy those drives resulted in field goals not touchdowns. Good pass rush, despite all of the holding that Walter Jones wasn't getting called for. Good coverage for the most part, I was especially impressed with how quickly Henderson dropped into coverage. McCauley looked great, Winfield looked great as well. The linebacker corps as a whole looked excellent, they looked fast, good tackling, great on the blitz, good coverage. I was really impressed with Greenway and Henderson especially.

We're gonna be a lot better than people think.
    Another difference when it comes to this year and last.......

Even though we did get hit with (Cook) a couple of dumb penalties, we still got a first down after being backed up a couple of times.

I agree and have been on that bandwagon all year.
    Once the real season starts and we see the whole offense and defensive schemes working I think alot more will be suprised.

Haven't seen many deep balls, TE has hardly been used and the RB's catching the ball out of the backfield hasn't been exploited yet.
    Then throw in a few more rollouts per game by TJ and you will see things clicking the way this offense is designed.

Big picture my friends........
    ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Redmption" wrote:
    The defense was killing me at times, very much bend not break but I hate all the passing yards they give up. Loved Winfield and Wade, but were did Williamson dissapear to? From what I saw he only had that one deep ball thrown his way. The pass protection just seemed awful. There were times that just the front four was getting pressure on TJ. Our defensive pressure was good but it didnt provide too much help. There were several times a guy got into the back field only to miss the tackle on the RB or Hasselbeck. I loved TJs velocity on the ball and he made mostly good desicions, but some of his deep balls he really under threw and I wonder if he is trying to over compensate from too much over throw in camp. To me its way worse to under throw because thats when most INTs happed. Good god special teams is bad...
    Hate to keep harping on this point but........

The WCO doesn't rely on deep balls like we saw during the "Randy Ratio" days.
    T-will is only gonna see a few per game.

Throw in the fact the B-wade is quick off the line and gets open before the deeper stuff (3-5 Step drops) develops the deep ball just won't be there until we get everybody cheating up to stop the run and stop the slants/quick outs etc.

On a side note, as B-wade gets more passes, D's will start watching him.
    Thereby T-will should get a few more his way.

Its all a chess match in the WCO my friends.
    ;D
    Green Bay has run the WCO for years and Farve throws deep passes all of the time. If you have the talent you can go deep in the WCO. I don't think he meant every play but with all of the short passes eventually you should be able to set the defense up for something a little deeper.

The WCO as you imply also relies on passing on 1st and 2nd downs and like you I hate to keep harping on it ;D, but we are not using the pass to set up the run like we would have to do in your scenario. we aren't even using the screen passes to the RB's at any respectable rate.

So you can look at it in two ways:

If you can run first, throw second and still be a WCO because you are adjusting to your talent, then it is also acceptable that when you have a damn fast WR, you can go deep a few times a game

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Well we do have a damn fast receiver. But he's proven time and time again he won't adjust to the deep ball, well not enough anyways.

I think Childress is starting to shy away from him. He knows if this year is like last we'll need ferguson in the slot cause rice will be starting.

Saying troy is our deep threat makes me sad. Wades 20 something yarder showed me he's more of a deep threat than what troys shown over the last year or so.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Cons:

1: Special Teams: The special teams really blew it for us. There was some really poor punt coverage, and our returns were nothing special either.

2: Stupid Mistakes/Penalties: Cook. Cook. Cook. Cook. Cook!!! 2 false starts on the first two drives. Fumbled snap.

3: Tackling: Arm tackles on a lot of outside runs by several different players, not breaking down and wrapping up(Griffin)

Pros:

1: The Passing Game: Tarvaris Jackson looked great. He had great velocity on his throws and showed a lot of accuracy. He still has some work to do, and has to get a little more comfortable on the field, but overall he looked excellent last night. And Bobby Wade!!! He was phenomenal, great game. Rice also looked good, he made one nice grab early on, I wish he could have shown what he could do in the redzone though. That longball that everyone is saying was underthrown was not TJacks fault. He got hit as he was throwing it and that put a totally different trajectory on the ball, it went much higher than intended and thats why it was short.

2: Running Attack: Chester Taylor looked excellent, Peterson once again was a stud. The man is a thoroughbred, beast plain and simple I can't wait to see what kind of numbers he puts up.

3: Defense: I blame the offense and special teams for those first two field goals, there was nothing the d could do to prevent them, we should be happy those drives resulted in field goals not touchdowns. Good pass rush, despite all of the holding that Walter Jones wasn't getting called for. Good coverage for the most part, I was especially impressed with how quickly Henderson dropped into coverage. McCauley looked great, Winfield looked great as well. The linebacker corps as a whole looked excellent, they looked fast, good tackling, great on the blitz, good coverage. I was really impressed with Greenway and Henderson especially.

Even though we did get hit with (Cook) a couple of dumb penalties, we still got a first down after being backed up a couple of times.

Once the real season starts and we see the whole offense and defensive schemes working I think alot more will be suprised.

Haven't seen many deep balls, TE has hardly been used and the RB's catching the ball out of the backfield hasn't been exploited yet.
    Then throw in a few more rollouts per game by TJ and you will see things clicking the way this offense is designed.

;D

In the big picture, what do you feel is going to happen when Defensive Coordinators get some film on TJ and start to exploit his tendencies? Have you seen enough of him to say for a fact that when teams start to disguise their blitzes and mask their coverages, that he will have the timing with his WR's to be able to both avoid the pressure and while in motion be able to put the ball in a spot where the DB back can't get it, but that the WR can and be able to maintain momentum for YAC?

I have watched him closely and he is certainly performing better than I expected with his experience, but he is still very raw and once the season gets started he is going to have to go 4 quarters with Coordinators doing everything they can to throw him a curveball. If we can have a strong running game and shield him with only having to make reads based on 2 wr's instead of 4 or 5 we could be a decent team.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Cons:

Pros:

;D

In the big picture, what do you feel is going to happen when Defensive Coordinators get some film on TJ and start to exploit his tendencies? Have you seen enough of him to say for a fact that when teams start to disguise their blitzes and mask their coverages, that he will have the timing with his WR's to be able to both avoid the pressure and while in motion be able to put the ball in a spot where the DB back can't get it, but that the WR can and be able to maintain momentum for YAC?

I have watched him closely and he is certainly performing better than I expected with his experience, but he is still very raw and once the season gets started he is going to have to go 4 quarters with Coordinators doing everything they can to throw him a curveball. If we can have a strong running game and shield him with only having to make reads based on 2 wr's instead of 4 or 5 we could be a decent team.
    Ahh my friend.
    I so enjoy your posts.... ;D

Were have you ever saw me post that TJ won't struggle?
    In fact I almost always throw in the fact that he will struggle.

In fact I agree with your whole post to include that I said in my observations from the Jets game that I thought he played better than I anticipated.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Cons:

Pros:

;D

Then he'll throw in the other dimension of his game... the ability to run the ball. Then they'll have to try to stop that.

Maybe we can run the wishbone!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast