Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings gear up for scrimmage with Chiefs

I understand that one Chief's player swung a punch at a Viking but didn't connect.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I understand that one Chief's player swung a punch at a Viking but didn't connect.
    Does anybody know why?

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    Stating the - I was going to say obvious - you still follow the TC.

(Have you gone on your holiday yet, or when are you going?
    I leave on Wednesday the 16th of August & return on the following Wednesday, the 23rd.

But with as much work as I fear Ned is lining up, it just might end up being more work oriented, then it will be a vacation. :grin:
    I know I'm a new guy here, but I just can't help (what's the word for the non-gay-guy) you.

I need to be on my top form to live without you for so long time. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Wow, I was hoping to come home to tons and tons of reports...but nothing.Haha

I guess it was really like a more up beat practice.Just against another team, so you can evaulate weak points on your team.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

morphius is offline Rookie

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    Wow, I was hoping to come home to tons and tons of reports...but nothing.Haha

I guess it was really like a more up beat practice.Just against another team, so you can evaulate weak points on your team.
    Well, if I find anything from the Chiefs sites (no luck there yet) I will post them over here.

ugh.
    it s not a sport until someone gets hit.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Does anybody know why?
    I was listening to KFAN after the game hoping for a full report and they were up to their usual "nothing" talk. All they said was the most exciting part was when a Chiefs player took a swing at a Viking and missed. Never mentioned names at all or why.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

If training camp is a taste of NFL action before the pre-season and regular season begin, then Friday night's interactive practice featuring the Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs in Mankato was an appetizer. The two teams, whose training camps are located within 115 miles, got together for an intra-squad practice at Blakeslee Stadium and the adjacent practice fields on the campus of Minnesota State, Mankato.

The practice began at 6:30pm, with the gates to Vikings Village opening at 5:00pm. Approximately 7,500 fans packed Blakeslee Stadium, with a large Chiefs contingent on one side of the stadium and Vikings fans filling the other.

"Yeah it was great to see," Vikings safety Willie Offord said of the fan turnout. "People wanted to come out and see what their team is going to look like this season. It's great to see and feel that support from them."

Head Coach Brad Childress was also very pleased about the positive turnout.

"What can you say about the fans on a summer night? The weather cooperated, it's not hateful hot out here, but it gives you a little idea of the passion of these people in purple to fill this place up on a summer night," Childress said.

The players seemed to have fed off the excitement generated by the fans. Many players from both teams encouraged the crowd's chanting and yelling as they ran onto the field.

"Well their was great energy," safety Willie Offord said. "We went out there and had good energy as a defense and we can use this as a stepping stone to where we want to go."

Each team conducted their regular stretching routine prior to the beginning of the practice. Kansas City was on practice field number one, while the Vikings stretched inside of Blakeslee Stadium. Then, the Vikings defense and the Chiefs offense squared off on practice field number one while the Vikings offense and Chiefs defense took each other on inside of Blakeslee Stadium.

Throughout the practice, the squads conducted seven-on-seven passing drills, one-on-one pass rush drills, shell drills and more against each other. Eventually, the teams would come together and go live against one another.

The teams also designated a portion of practice for special teams work. Each team's punting unit went up against the other's punt return unit.

Coach Childress and Chiefs Head Coach Herm Edwards both seemed happy with how the practice went.

"They seemed happy with how it went," McMahon said of the reaction from coaches after the practice ended. "There were no fights and no one taking anyone to the ground and each team showed respect."

"It's always great to see another colored jersey out there," coach Childress said after the practice. "And I appreciate Herm bringing his guys out here."

Second-year defensive tackle C.J. Mosley echoed coach Childress' comment about being able to see a different team.

"It was really good to go against an opposing offensive line," Mosley said. "We go against our line every day so it's nice to go against them because they don't know us and they don't know our tendencies."

Former Vikings running back Michael Bennett, who signed with the New Orleans Saints during the off-season and was then traded to the Chiefs last week, traveled with the team but did not participate in the practice. Beforehand, Bennett caught up with familiar faces along the Vikings sideline.

"I'll tell you what, it was definitely a fun feeling," Bennett said. "I mean to come out here and be on the opposing sidelines [is different], a year ago I was over here [home sideline], so it was a different feeling. But again we were able to come out, have a good scrimmage and there were no fights. It was a really class deal tonight."

Johnson looked sharp

Quarterback Brad Johnson continued to look sharp on Friday night, as he has throughout training camp in Mankato.

"We saw that Brad Johnson is just really smooth and he knows where his reads are," quarterback Mike McMahon said. "He did a really nice job of running the offense tonight and it just goes to show that when you know where the ball is going and you know your reads, it makes the offense run smoothly."

At one time, Johnson completed seven of eight passes, hitting second-year receiver Troy Williamson a number of times. Johnson also completed a nice pass to tight end Richard Owens after a breakdown in the Chiefs secondary.

Coach Childress was happy with Williamson's play during the practice.

"I thought Troy Williamson did a good job of catching the football. He had a couple of tries inside that I thought were terrific. I was pleased to see that," coach Childress commented after the practice.

Top performers

Outside of Johnson and Williamson, punter Chris Kluwe and offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson were the night's top performers.

Kluwe kicked seven booming punts during the special teams portion of practice, including two that went 60 yards, two 58 yards, two 55 yards and one 50 yards. The crowd was impressed by Kluwe's kicking display and coach Childress was encouraged.

"I thought he did a good job of kicking the football," Childress said.

Hutchinson performed well during the one-on-one pass rush drill. The Vikings offensive line went up against the Chiefs defensive line during one portion of practice. Hutchinson had no trouble keeping his defenders away from the quarterback, dominating two Chiefs defenders and forcing them to ground at one point.

Viking center Matt Birk also played well, but was impressed with the Chiefs defensive line.

"They're a nice defensive line," Birk said. "I've been here nine years, we've gone up against those guys a bunch of times. And I've always thought highly of their group. They're always talented but it's obvious that they have a strong work ethic as well and they all have high motors."

Highlight reel

Both offensive and defensive plays comprise the highlight reel from Friday night. The first defensive play came courtesy of Chiefs linebacker Kawika Mitchell. On the play, Mitchell busted through the Viking offensive line and stopped running back Mewelde Moore before he could get back to the line of scrimmage. Mitchell broke through so quickly, Moore had no time to react and switch directions.

The second defensive highlight also came from the Chiefs, only this time it was defensive back Patrick Surtain. On the play, Surtain crept up on fullback Steven Jackson as he hauled in a pass. After being hit, Jackson lost control of the ball as he was forced out of bounds. The hit occurred near the Chiefs sideline, meaning the Chiefs crowd had a front row seat to the play.

Johnson and Williamson hooked up for the top offensive play of the practice. Williamson was running an intermediate slant route and dove to catch Johnson's pass. Cornerback Julian Battle and safety Jarrad Page both dove at Johnson's pass as well, only to have Williamson snatch it too quickly, dive to the ground and get up running. On the next play, Johnson hooked up with receiver Koren Robinson. Defensive back Chris Johnson tried to jump the route, but Robinson rounded off his route perfectly and was able to use his body to shield off Johnson.

Lastly, receiver Jason Carter made a nice play on special teams. On the Chiefs last punt, Carter fielded the kick, dodged a barrage of defenders and scampered to the endzone.

Notes:

Two referee crews were present Friday night to assist the teams during practice.

ESPN's John Clayton attended Friday night's practice.

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_o...ebook8406.html

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Fri, Aug. 04, 2006

[size=18px]Kluwe shines in practice with Chiefs[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - Chris Kluwe wowed the Minnesota Vikings fans last season with his soaring punts.

A knee injury late in the year led some to believe that they had seen the last of those from Kluwe. But after starring in Friday night's joint practice session with the Kansas City Chiefs, long snapper Cullen Loeffler didn't have any doubts.

"I think he's back," Loeffler exclaimed while patting the punter on the shoulder pads.

Kluwe looked like his old self in front of about 7,500 fans at Blakeslee Stadium on the Minnesota State University campus. He boomed several ahh-inducing punts, including one that traveled about 60 yards in the air.

"The knee felt really good and I was just hitting the ball clean," Kluwe said. "Technique was back. I just have to keep doing that every time."

That Kluwe was the star of the show should serve as a pretty good indicator of the practice session. Fans, many of them wearing Chiefs red, paid $10 to watch under two hours of practice that was short on action.

There were no major skirmishes or brawls, which have marred the events in years past.

"I think it went pretty good," cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "No one got hurt, we got some work in. They made some plays, we made some plays."

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards played a lot of his younger players for most of the practice, including quarterback Casey Printers rather than starter Trent Green.

"They needed this," Edwards said of his youngsters. "They needed to go against other guys."

Edwards' punt returners certainly got some work in thanks to Kluwe, who has been sharing punting duties in training camp with rookie free agent John Torp. Kluwe took all the reps on Friday night.

"He did a good job kicking the football," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. "He seems to be coming along and he's gotten some great work in but we just have to manage his kicks through camp."

Even more encouraging was Kluwe's ability to aim the ball to the corners. New special teams coach Paul Ferraro has put an emphasis on directional punting, which differs from last year's regime that basically told Kluwe just to kick it as far as he could.

"Directional punting is just the same as normal punting," Kluwe said with a shrug. "It's just aiming it in a different direction."

---

BENNETT RETURNS: Former Vikings running back Michael Bennett was back in Mankato on Friday night, though he did not participate in the practice.

The Chiefs acquired Bennett in a trade with New Orleans earlier this week, and Bennett said he still was digesting the playbook and not ready for practice just yet. Still, he was glad to be back in the town where he trained during his first five seasons in the NFL.

"I signed a lot of autographs," Bennett said with a smile. "It was just good to get back here, rest, and leave this behind and move on. It's been a fun-filled trip."

---

NO RICHARDSON: One Viking who was looking forward to Friday night as much as anyone was new fullback Tony Richardson.

Richardson signed in the offseason after 11 years in Kansas City, but he had a good reason to miss the festivities.

Vikings coaches excused him to attend the Hall of Fame induction ceremony of quarterback Warren Moon in Canton, Ohio. Moon played for the Vikings, Chiefs, Oilers, Seahawks and Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL in a brilliant career.

Moon befriended Richardson when he came to the Chiefs in 1999, teaching him about being active in the community.

---

PAT WILLIAMS: Childress said defensive tackle Pat Williams is close to being activated from the physically unable to perform list.

Williams has yet to practice with the team in training camp after Childress placed him on the list with concerns about Williams' conditioning. Childress spoke with Williams on Friday morning at a special teams practice.

"He understands where I'm coming from and I understand where he's coming from," Childress said.

Childress said he was reluctant to activate Williams for the practice with the Chiefs because of the nature of the workout, which featured more hitting than many of the normal practices.

"Hopefully it's not too far in the future," he said.

---

STADIUM WATCH: Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and his brother Mark flew down to Mankato for the scrimmage after spending the afternoon in Blaine with some business and community leaders.

The Wilfs attended a reception on the 18th green of the TPC Twin Cities golf course, where the 3M Championships, a senior event, is being held.

Zygi Wilf continues to stump for support for a stadium as part of a $1.6 billion multi-use complex in Blaine.

QUICK HITS: Childress said receiver Marcus Robinson will miss Saturday's practices because of a death in the family. ... DB Charles Gordon was on crutches on Friday after injuring his left knee in practice Thursday. Childress said he would have surgery to clean it out on Monday and likely miss the rest of the preseason with a "cartilage issue." ... Childress also praised the performance of receiver Troy Williamson, who had a couple of nifty catches on Friday night.

Kluwe shines in practice with Chiefs

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

It seems like it was a lot better practice then the years past

Thanks PurpleMafia

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

It's good to hear Kluwe is fine, hopefully we don't need to use him much.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast