Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' sack race isn't over

Posted on Fri, Dec. 30, 2005

[size=18px]Vikings' sack race isn't over[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams refuses to concede his team sack crown to Lance Johnstone.

The past two seasons, Williams has overcome Johnstone's late-season leads to edge the veteran by a half-sack.

Such a comeback is unlikely this season: Williams has only two sacks, while Johnstone leads the team with 7½.

Asked if he had given up, Williams said no and added, "I might get a sack record."

Wary of the past two seasons, Johnstone is not taking Williams for granted.
    "It ain't over until it's over," he said. "But he needs six. He'd have to have the second-best game ever."

Johnstone knows his history. He played for the Oakland Raiders when late Kansas City Chiefs great Derrick Thomas got six on Sept. 6, 1998. Thomas holds the NFL record of seven sacks in a game.

The most dramatic finish to Williams and Johnstone's sack race was in 2003. In the finale, Johnstone had one of the finest games of his career with two sacks, three quarterback hurries and one forced fumble. But Williams tallied a career-high three sacks, with one hurry and a forced fumble.

Meanwhile, coach Mike Tice said he was pleased with the play of Johnstone, who will be a free agent this offseason.

"He needs to get 2½ (sacks) to keep the streak going because he has had double-digit sacks the last two years," Tice said. "When you are up there in age like Lance, it is very important that your numbers are good."
    Weighing in: Vikings free safety Darren Sharper said he hopes Tice will be retained by owner Zygi Wilf.

"Continuity is the best thing for our team to improve," Sharper said. "We can win a championship with the staff and players we have here."

Compliment paid: Tice said running back Michael Bennett is the "epitome" of the team for his composure through a trying season.

"I said this morning, if we didn't have Mike Bennett, we probably would've lost both Detroit games," Tice said. "I am proud of how he has handled himself."

Moving on:
    Cornerback Ralph Brown acknowledged Sunday's game in Baltimore was his "worst" of the season. But Brown said Tice should have stuck with him given how he has played this season.

"I feel I've played well," Brown said. "Everyone makes mistakes. That was a game I got exposed. But it happens to the best of us. There was a lot more to those plays than just me.

"But as a coach, you should have confidence in your players and pump them up with confidence if something bad happens. Everybody needs that."
    This week, Tice said he is inclined to give rookie Dovonte Edwards more playing time, which does not bode well for Brown. But he said he harbors no resentment toward Tice.

"I've accepted it. It's a decision I have no control over. I was frustrated, and I spoke my mind. But there's no hard feelings," Brown said.

Moving along:
    Safety Willie Offord will be a free agent in the offseason, but he said he would remain in the Twin Cities to aggressively rehab the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Offord said he hopes to remain with the Vikings.

"From where I'm standing, I've progressed a lot. I want to show people I'm worthy of where I was picked four years ago," said Offord, a third-round pick. "A lot of people wrote me off and considered me a bust. Then when I started to play well, I got hurt."

Defensive end Kenechi Udeze, who had season-ending knee surgery in October, said he started jogging Wednesday and hopes to be ready for spring minicamps. But he added, "I'm not going to rush anything."

Briefly:
    Receiver Marcus Robinson missed a second day of practice with the flu. Weak-side linebacker E.J. Henderson was given the day off because of a minor injury to his left foot. Henderson, added to the injury report as probable, is expected to start.

• Center Cory Withrow and tackle Mike Rosenthal worked with the starting offensive line Thursday, as they did Wednesday.

• Nose tackle Pat Williams' father's funeral is Saturday. Williams is expected to return to the Twin Cities that night and play Sunday.

• Sharper will be an NFL Network correspondent during the playoffs.

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' sack race isn't over

I hope they both combine for about 6 sacks come Sunday...

I can't believe Pat W. is going to fly back after the funeral......

I wouldn't want to be the one playing across from him come Sunday..

He's going to be playing for his Dad, and thats not a good thing for the guy in front of him......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

........And that would be Kreutz!

Kreutz will be owned Again!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

man it just really dawned on me how many injuries we've had on the defensive side of the ball.

and then I got REALLY excited when I thought about just how much better this D could be with just its current players if they could stay healthy.

here's hoping they can resign most of these players and keep basically the same unit together.

It is also so nice to hear players WANT to stay in MN. Offord and Robinson have both come out and said they want to play here. It definately give me the feeling we are finally starting to move in the right direction! :razz:

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

"singersp" wrote:

Compliment paid: Tice said running back Michael Bennett is the "epitome" of the team for his composure through a trying season.

"I said this morning, if we didn't have Mike Bennett, we probably would've lost both Detroit games," Tice said. "I am proud of how he has handled himself."
    A sign of things to come?

If Tice stays I bet Bennett stays.
    Even babies know the difference.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

man would that piss me off....MB really really needs to just get the heck outta minesota :evil:

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I totally agree with you and Tice will take a hard look at O Smith as well, :roll:

the sack race is getting me excited for the Sundays game, would be to see D line all over Grossman.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Its important to have composure when you are getting stuffed at the line or fumbling the game away. :razz: Glad to hear that he showed up for the Detroit games. Too bad its a 16 game season. :roll: We don't really need to look for another RB this year I guess. We have Tice's buddy Bennett. The players coach strikes again. :???:

WWBGD

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Bennett really aint that bad guys.. If we actually had some blocking it would have helped.. EVERY time he had to try to bounce out a run to the outside.. Yah he does have his flaws.. But if we happen to not get a RB I wouldn't be too upset with Bennett if we re-sign him.. Birk pulling to the outside will help Bennett's outside runs ALOT!!

Back to the topic.. I'm glad K-will is fired up for the game.. Should be a good battle with The Williams bros against Olin

"singersp" wrote:
    ........And that would be Kreutz!

Kreutz will be owned Again!
    YESSS!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast