Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Vikings' run defense rugged

    [size=13pt]Scouting report: Vikings' run defense rugged[/size]

    08:45 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 16, 2007
    Rick Gosselin
    dallasnews.com



    The hype this week will focus on rookie running back Adrian Peterson and the NFL's top rushing attack with the Minnesota Vikings coming to town. But the drama will come Sunday when the Cowboys try to run the football.

    No one runs on the Vikings.........

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    Their is no doubt about it.
    We have the best defense against the run in the league.
    I don't expect Dallas to try to run very often.
    They are going to come up throwing.
    We need to get some early picks and get to the quarterback.

  3. #3
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged


    That triangle will continue to stop the run all year. EJ just may join Pat, and Kevin Williams in the pro bowl this year. Dominate that line of scrimmage, and get after that ball.

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    The problem comes into play when Phat Pat comes out and Spencer goes in.

    Spenc is a better guy to collapse the pocket but not as strong against the run.

    Boars got some nice gains on the ground when we had that package in.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    patistheman's Avatar
    patistheman is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    231

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    The problem comes into play when Phat Pat comes out and Spencer goes in.

    Spenc is a better guy to collapse the pocket but not as strong against the run.

    Boars got some nice gains on the ground when we had that package in.
    They also had a few nice runs when Pat was in, however they were to the outside.
    In the past our linebackers have been fast reacting to outside runs and strung those plays out for our D linemen to get there or they have made the tackle themselves.
    I did not see that happpending on Sunday.
    Hopefully it was just and off day for our run D because Barber and Jones scare me more than Benson does.
    If that really is a weakness of ours our D could really be in some trouble if our Pass D does not improve as well.

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    "patistheman" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    The problem comes into play when Phat Pat comes out and Spencer goes in.

    Spenc is a better guy to collapse the pocket but not as strong against the run.

    Boars got some nice gains on the ground when we had that package in.
    They also had a few nice runs when Pat was in, however they were to the outside.
    In the past our linebackers have been fast reacting to outside runs and strung those plays out for our D linemen to get there or they have made the tackle themselves.
    I did not see that happpending on Sunday.
    Hopefully it was just and off day for our run D because Barber and Jones scare me more than Benson does.
    If that really is a weakness of ours our D could really be in some trouble if our Pass D does not improve as well.
    Hard to say as the camera's don't give us a real good/reliable shot of what the LB's do after the snap, until they come back into camera range, however,.......

    My assumption is that the staff made a conscious effort to stopping the pass more than the run.
    That means the LB's were a bit deeper in coverage.

    Several times Son of Griese was looking deep only to see good coverage down field resulting in a check down pass to Benson.

    Again, just an assumption on my part.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    456

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    We got the best run defense in the NFL, so I don't see the Cowbells running all over us. We gotta get some pressure on Romo though, and play better in the secondary. If not, it's gonna be a long day for us :-

    ALL DAY!!!

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    "PurplePowerPunch" wrote:
    We got the best run defense in the NFL, so I don't see the Cowbells running all over us. We gotta get some pressure on Romo though, and play better in the secondary. If not, it's gonna be a long day for us :-\
    Well we still have the worst pass defense in the league as well.

    It's a no brainer what Dallas will do, but like Marrdro said, when they insert Johnson in there instead of Phat Pat in pass defense mode, it could open up the running game for them.

    If I were Romo, when I see Johnson in there, I'd call run if the down & yards to go warrant it. If I see P-Will, stick with the pass.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #9
    VikingsMB's Avatar
    VikingsMB is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    361

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    Romo makes or breaks that team.
    Wade Philips is a trend puppet.
    Dallas will come out air attack unashamedly with the first play being to Barber to get the Vikes interested in thinking that Dallas is interested in developing an ground game, followed by lots and lots of air.
    Getting back to Romo, he has a propensity to sail that ball.
    It will either be the TO show or the Sharper show.
    Sharper was a little quiet last week so expect a big game from him.
    Rarely does he remain quiet 2 weeks in a row.

  10. #10
    GreenBaySlackers's Avatar
    GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Vikings' run defense rugged

    Witten is going to have a big day, if you have him on your fantasy team, play him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings defense hasn't done enough
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 01:55 AM
  2. Vikings Defense
    By twill in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 03:45 PM
  3. Vikings Defense
    By Chargerfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 01:39 AM
  4. Vikings moving to 3-4 defense??
    By VikesHawkFan26 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 09:06 AM
  5. Vikings Defense # 31...again
    By cheesefree in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 09:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •