cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings roster moves

[size=13pt]VIKINGS ANNOUNCE ROSTER MOVES[/size]

The Minnesota Vikings have signed rookie FB Naufahu Tahi (NOW-fah-hoo TAH-hee) from the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad to the 53-man roster and placed FB Tony Richardson on injured reserve. The team signed OL Jimmy Martin to the practice squad and released TE Richard Angulo.

Tahi spent the opening 10 games of the 2006 season on the Cincinnati practice squad after joining the club as a rookie free agent following the 2006 Draft.

SIGNED (from Cincinnati practice squad):
    PLAYER.......................... POS...... SCHOOL......................... EXPERIENCE
    Naufahu Tahi........................ FB..... Brigham Young................ Rookie

INJURED RESERVE:
    PLAYER.......................... POS...... SCHOOL......................... EXPERIENCE
    Tony Richardson.................. FB..... Auburn.............................. 12th Year

PRACTICE SQUAD:
    SIGNED
    Jimmy Martin........................ OL..... Virginia Tech.................... Rookie

RELEASED
    Richard Angulo..................... TE..... Western New Mexico ...... 4th Year

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Vikings roster moves

I must say I'm a bit surprised that they released Angulo. I thought he caught the ball pretty well last year when he played.

Does anyone know anything about this Tahi kid from Bringham Young?

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I frankly thought (hoped) the Vikings would sign Tahi as an undrafted free agent right after the draft.
    He's a big boy (250+ lbs), and is an excellent receiver as all BYU players tend to be.
    Allegedly, he's seldom played the role as a blocker, being more of a "runner/receiver".
    Also, he's 25 (having already spent part of his life performing his Mormon "mission"), but that shouldn't really be a problem.
    Here's a good link to Tahi and his skills.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/421926

I hoped the Vikings would take him as a guy that could get that 1 yard on 3rd and 1.
    Here's hoping we see something good out of the kid.

Note: The link above and some others list his weight as 230 lbs.
    I have seen others that put his weight at 253-254 lbs.
    One site compared him to Jerome Bettis.
    Not a bad role model, IMO.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

"cogitans" wrote:
    I must say I'm a bit surprised that they released Angulo. I thought he caught the ball pretty well last year when he played.

I too am surprised at the Angulo release. I'm sure it was just a matter of us needing an extra true FB and the fact that Angulo wasn't a perfect fit in the Childress system. I know Tice really liked Angulo (I think he saw himself in the guy) that's why he was around for so long. Maybe he'll find a roster spot with the Jaguars. But, this Tahi guy looks promising (and a character guy no less...surprise being that we snagged him from the Bengals ) so all in all I think these were smart moves.
    Even babies know the difference.

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

I too am surprised at the Angulo release. I'm sure it was just a matter of us needing an extra true FB and the fact that Angulo wasn't a perfect fit in the Childress system. I know Tice really liked Angulo (I think he saw himself in the guy) that's why he was around for so long. Maybe he'll find a roster spot with the Jaguars. But, this Tahi guy looks promising (and a character guy no less...surprise being that we snagged him from the Bengals ) so all in all I think these were smart moves.
    Just note that Angulo doesn't make room for the FB. That were made by placing Richardson on the IR list.

Angulo only makes room for OL Jimmy Martin on the practice squad.

"purplepat" wrote:
    I frankly thought (hoped) the Vikings would sign Tahi as an undrafted free agent right after the draft.
    He's a big boy (250+ lbs), and is an excellent receiver as all BYU players tend to be.
    Allegedly, he's seldom played the role as a blocker, being more of a "runner/receiver".
    Also, he's 25 (having already spent part of his life performing his Mormon "mission"), but that shouldn't really be a problem.
    Here's a good link to Tahi and his skills.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/421926

I hoped the Vikings would take him as a guy that could get that 1 yard on 3rd and 1.
    Here's hoping we see something good out of the kid.

Note: The link above and some others list his weight as 230 lbs.
    I have seen others that put his weight at 253-254 lbs.
    One site compared him to Jerome Bettis.
    Not a bad role model, IMO.
    I must admit that by reading that bio he sounds like a promissing prospect.

"cogitans" wrote:
    "kramer9guy" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Just note that Angulo doesn't make room for the FB. That were made by placing Richardson on the IR list.

Understood.

Looking at the entire picture, it's basically just subtracting one extra position player (from the glut of TE's this team had under Tice) from a system no longer in use and adding a position player that we do now use and are in need of (FB). Whatever the reasoning, I think Angluo is a capable TE and should catch on somewhere in the league soon.
    Even babies know the difference.

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "kramer9guy" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Understood.

Looking at the entire picture, it's basically just subtracting one extra position player (from the glut of TE's this team had under Tice) from a system no longer in use and adding a position player that we do now use and are in need of (FB). Whatever the reasoning, I think Angluo is a capable TE and should catch on somewhere in the league soon.
    I agree then.

It's not that we have used our TE's that much in this system. So as you say we'll probably need a FB more in the future.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Wed, Nov. 22, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings sign rookie fullback, source says[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN and DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

THANKSGIVING DAY NOTES
    * Think the Cardinals are drooling over the possibility of picking apart the Vikings 26th-ranked defense? Don’t bet on it. Cretin-Derham Hall High School star Larry Fitzgerald is making his Metrodome debut along with Green and he says the Vikings pass defense isn’t as bad as the numbers might indicate.

“Don’t let the numbers fool you,” Fitzgerald said. “I know they’re 26th in the league in passing, but they have ball hawks back there. Darren Sharper is one of the best free safeties of all time. Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot are really, really good football players. Dwight Smith, you can’t forget about him, and the rookie they got from Texas (Cedric Griffin) is really good as well. They have a lot of talent, and that front four they have, those guys get after you. We’re not fooled by that ranking at all. We know what to expect. Those guys are going to stop the run and get after the quarterback, so we know what to expect. We’re going to try to be as balanced as possible, but we’re going to do what we have to do to get a win.
    * The Vikings defense has allowed just 2.7 yards per rush this season on 219 attempts. The Cardinals have allowed twice as many rushing yards (1,189 to 596) as the Vikings.
    * The Vikings may have two changes on the offensive line Sunday. Both guard Artis Hicks and tackle Marcus Johnson are question marks with left ankle injuries. If they can’t go, Jason Whittle and Mike Rosenthal are the frontrunners to replace them.
    * As reported here yesterday, the Vikings made it official Wednesday by placing Tony Richardson on injured reserve and signing fullback Naufahu Tahi off the Bengals practice squad.
    * The Vikings also released Richard Angulo from the practice squad and signed offensive lineman Jimmy Martin.
    * Matt Birk and his wife Adrianna welcomed their third daughter Monday.
    * Former Viking Todd Bouman was signed to replace injured Aaron Rodgers as Brett Favre’s backup.
    * The Redskins signed former Viking WR Ryan Hoag to their practice squad Wednesday.
    * Jason Taylor of the Dolphins was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week after his dominant performance vs. the Vikings last Sunday