Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings' Roster Additions: the Big Three.

[size=1pt]Disclaimer: there is nothing new or insightful in this post.[/size]
    The Vikings’ front office has an army of professionals working together to make the team that we know and love function, or, not function, depending on how you perceive the situation.
    Many of them spend the majority of their waking hours at a mystical warehouse called Winter Park and probably stealing ideas from the idiots on pp.o.
    Following is a brief summary of the ‘big three’ when it comes to roster decisions.

Brzezinski

Rob Brzezinski is my favorite member of the execute staff and holds the title of Vice President of Football Operations.
    He has his Juris Doctorate, 15 years banked working in the NFL and will always be remembered by me for his ingenious poison pill move in the acquisition of Steve Hutchinson.
    My favorite offseason maneuver, ever.
    His professional biography describes his role as, “Brzezinski works closely with Head Coach Brad Childress and Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman on all football-related strategic planning and roster decisions. Brzezinski is also responsible for management and strategic planning of the salary cap, negotiation of player contracts, football operations and administration, team operations, medical and training staff, equipment, video, and player development. He has also represented the Vikings at the League meetings.”
    Notice that the biography states he works closely with Brad Childress and Rick Spielman on ALL football-related strategic planning and roster decisions.

Spielman

Rick Spielman had a mixed legacy after his stay on the peninsula.
    I have never been a fan of the guy, but have been impressed with his contributions to the team so far.
    Hell, he just finished his 17th year as an NFL executive and has banked experience with four different franchises.
    His biography states, “Vice President of Player Personnel… and is responsible for overseeing the Vikings’ pro and college scouting departments...”
    I see him as a nice complement to the Childress/Brzezinski team for strategy development, even if he is an asshat.

Childress

Childress has been discussed Ad nauseam on pp.o.
    I just put this link up there for the ignorant that have never read his qualifications before.

I know that some folks get their panties wadded up and crusted into their crack when there are diatribes concerning the decision making processes regarding player acquisitions.
    I am fairly certain that having panties encrusted does not change the facts nor does it give someone more credibility. Some folks on the site even go as far as saying that it doesn’t matter that the coaching staff has been coaching professionally longer than they have been alive…that has nothing to do with whether their decision is better than the professionals.
    Although, I do know the Vikings would have at least a couple of Lombardi trophies if I was allowed to take the reigns as HC after a couple of beers and a plate of habanero-laced nachos…but, that’s another thread.

The roster decisions are done by folks that have complementing professional experiences that take many aspects of the team into consideration before signing a new player to the squad.
    Even though I am convinced that Spielman probably whacks off on his newly purchased jersey of some ‘big name’ free agent, the check and balance system makes sure the decision is best for the team’s short- and long-term strategies.

So, the most salient point of this spiel is the quote from Brzeznski's spiel, "Brzezinski works closely with Head Coach Brad Childress and Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman on all football-related strategic planning and roster decisions."
    If that is not clear enough I can paraphrase it for you:
    Brzezinski, Childress, and Spielman make the final decisions on the roster.
    If you want it in even simpler terms try this:

Childress: head hancho, relays strategies and team goals both short- and long-term.
    Spielman: finds guys to fit roles defined by Childress.
    Brzezinski: tells them what they can and cannot do based on coinage.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Vikings' Roster Additions: the Big Three.

Great post!

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Prophet" wrote:
    [size=4pt]Disclaimer: there is nothing new or insightful in this post.[/size]
    Many of them spend the majority of their waking hours at a mystical warehouse called Winter Park...
    mystical warehouse, eh?

Good on you, Proph. I'm a big fan of Brzezinski as well. And Spielman is, no doubt, suspect. Still he seems to have done a bang-up job thus far.

I honestly doubt Childress has a whole lot of time to really evaluate players as so many seem to suggest. Sure, once players are on the field he undoubtedly has a lot of say. But it's funny how when people complain about one player or another sucking ass, these same people rarely offer anyone currently on our squad that would be a better fit. More often it's: let's make a trade of Herschel Walker proportions, giving up half our squad for one player that will apparently cure all ills. What a bunch of garbage.

"The" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [size=4pt]Disclaimer: there is nothing new or insightful in this post.[/size]
    Many of them spend the majority of their waking hours at a mystical warehouse called Winter Park...
    mystical warehouse, eh?

Good on you, Proph. I'm a big fan of Brzezinski as well. And Spielman is, no doubt, suspect. Still he seems to have done a bang-up job thus far.

I honestly doubt Childress has a whole lot of time to really evaluate players as so many seem to suggest. Sure, once players are on the field he undoubtedly has a lot of say. But it's funny how when people complain about one player or another sucking ass, these same people rarely offer anyone currently on our squad that would be a better fit. More often it's: let's make a trade of Herschel Walker proportions, giving up half our squad for one player that will apparently cure all ills. What a bunch of garbage.
    I don't think it was that mystical warehouse....or was it?

My personal opinion is that Scott Studwell makes Spielman look much better than he actually is.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Prophet once again comes through with another quality post!!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

LOL!
    The first time around I did not see the disclaimer!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Credit where credit is due, I remember all the bla bla bout the 3 heads, or triangle of power.. from what i've seen in FA's and drafts we have one of the better I believe front offices's in the league.

sure some of our FA's havn't panned out, but some have shined brilliantly. I completly agree that Studwell is making things much easier for Spielman, and ToddB is a master of the cap!!

one last note.. for all you who use the draft and FA as a grade on Bchill... i hope this finalizes the fact that he's not making solo decisions. it's a team effort of all 3 and credit/criticism should be viewed as such.

great post Prophet!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"digital420" wrote:
    ... i hope this finalizes the fact that he's not making solo decisions. it's a team effort of all 3 and credit/criticism should be viewed as such.
    Like most threads of this nature, they typically end up preaching to the choir.
    The people that already understand the process read it and the people that choose to ignore the process won't read it anyway.
    The fun of dealing with fanatics.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Does the fact that I read it, and understood it, mean I'm one of the good guys?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    Does the fact that I read it, and understood it, mean I'm one of the good guys?
    No, you are still an idiot no matter what happens.
    That's just the way it is, since everyone is an idiot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast