Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings Rookies Gaining Valuable Experience

Although the Vikings offense was only able to muster 293 total net yards, Gerhart and Webb accounted for 244 yards of that total. Gerhart rushed 16 times for 77 yards with 3 receptions for 18 yards, while Webb completed 15 of 26 passes for 129 yards and 2 INTs with 6 rushing attempts for 38 yards and a TD.

Gerhart was instrumental in the Vikings opening scoring drive, carrying the ball 3 consecutive times to start the series for 3, 6 and 9 yards and an 8-yard run on the 5th play of the drive setting up Favre’s 23-yard pass-and-go TD to WR Percy Harvin. His biggest play of the night came late in the 1st quarter where Gerhart ran off the left end and bulldozed his way to the MIN 41 for a season- and career-long 21-yard gain. The big gain was a testament to his running style of running behind his pads.
    Vikings Rookies Gaining Valuable Experience

Can't believe how a few on here have hacked on Toby. Not fast enough.....Pssssssshawwwwwww.

Kid got 66 of his 77 rushing yards in the first half. I wonder what he would have done if the game wouldn't have got out of hand in the second half.

On a side note, I wonder why he left out DeGeare? He is a rookie isn't he?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Rookies Gaining Valuable Experience

Joe Webb - I don't know what to say. It seems like the dude is switching from wide receiver to quarterback on a day-to-day basis. Not only is he a rookie who has played against little competition in college, but he is learning two of the most difficult positions to learn. Expert says that a rookie wide receiver needs approximately three years to really catch up to the game. Joe Webb is learning that and at the same time learning the QB position.

Poor guy! My head would explode if I was in his position. I'm only glad that I saw at least some positive signs against a top-notch defense. Don't get me wrong, he is far-far away from being a starter, but I'd rather invest in Webb than Tarvaris at this moment. Tarvaris has had plenty of chances, can't stay healthy, and is less athletic than Webb. If anyone is the future, it's Joe Webb!

Toby Gerhart - another impressive effort as it was his second start in Adrian Peterson's absence. He was making good runs with the little opportunities he got. As for the "Can't believe how a few on here have hacked on Toby. Not fast enough". I have a feeling that I was one of the people you were pointing to so I'll try to deepen the statement "Not fast enough" as it's obviously missing a significant second part.

I do NOT believe that Gerhart is not fast enough to be a starter in the NFL.

Instead, I do believ that Gerhart is not fast enough to be one of the greatest running backs in the NFL.

In other words: the difference is that I think Toby is fast enough to be a starter who can do what a running back is asked to do, but he will never be a Hall of Famer.

In less words: Toby can be good, but not amazing. (that's Adrian's role )

rednorsk is offline Rookie

IMHO we should give Joe Webb a chance. Maybe we should have Brett come back next year as a QB coach. Toby is a very good power back, something we lost when dumb-dumb got rid of Taylor. Again, a rookie that needs some help.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Two things, first, are you implying taylor was a power runner?

Secondly, you don't just bring in a guy to coach, he has to want to coach. Favre has said he's never coaching ever.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Are they learning exactly how not to play?
    We're bringing purple back.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I think Toby was a reach. I said it on day one and I have seen nothing...nothing that tells me this guys isn't a FB. The fact that we traded up to draft a RB is crazy to me. Especially with backs like Dywer and Blount still on the board. Rule # 1 in the NFL, never trade up to draft a Rb, especially if said RB looks slower than poop rolling up hill.

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1085434

Joe Webb - I don't know what to say. It seems like the dude is switching from wide receiver to quarterback on a day-to-day basis. Not only is he a rookie who has played against little competition in college, but he is learning two of the most difficult positions to learn. Expert says that a rookie wide receiver needs approximately three years to really catch up to the game. Joe Webb is learning that and at the same time learning the QB position.

Poor guy! My head would explode if I was in his position. I'm only glad that I saw at least some positive signs against a top-notch defense. Don't get me wrong, he is far-far away from being a starter, but I'd rather invest in Webb than Tarvaris at this moment. Tarvaris has had plenty of chances, can't stay healthy, and is less athletic than Webb. If anyone is the future, it's Joe Webb!

Toby Gerhart - another impressive effort as it was his second start in Adrian Peterson's absence. He was making good runs with the little opportunities he got. As for the "Can't believe how a few on here have hacked on Toby. Not fast enough". I have a feeling that I was one of the people you were pointing to so I'll try to deepen the statement "Not fast enough" as it's obviously missing a significant second part.

I do NOT believe that Gerhart is not fast enough to be a starter in the NFL.

Instead, I do believ that Gerhart is not fast enough to be one of the greatest running backs in the NFL.

In other words: the difference is that I think Toby is fast enough to be a starter who can do what a running back is asked to do, but he will never be a Hall of Famer.

In less words: Toby can be good, but not amazing. (that's Adrian's role )
    Good stuff (as always) HEY, especially your last point. Hard to follow a player of AD's caliber. Toby will never be like AD, however, he is gonna be a damn fine back in this league once he gets a few reps under his feet.

I absolutely love the way he punishes (first) as he runs and the nice little bounce out he showed (for his biggest gain of the year by the way) was a great sign of things to come.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "rednorsk" #1085435
    IMHO we should give Joe Webb a chance. Maybe we should have Brett come back next year as a QB coach. Toby is a very good power back, something we lost when dumb-dumb got rid of Taylor. Again, a rookie that needs some help.
    Hmmmmmmm, I never thought of CT as a power runner. All purpose back for sure, but definately not a power runner.

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1085457
    I think Toby was a reach. I said it on day one and I have seen nothing...nothing that tells me this guys isn't a FB. The fact that we traded up to draft a RB is crazy to me. Especially with backs like Dywer and Blount still on the board. Rule # 1 in the NFL, never trade up to draft a Rb, especially if said RB looks slower than poop rolling up hill.
    I agree on your point that we probably could have got the same type of back without having to move up.

What I don't agree is that he hasn't shown anything. My guess, because his touches have been limited as a result from playing behind AD and the early injury he had, his progress hasn't been as fast as Blounts has in Tampa but he has shown progress nonetheless.

Even you would have to agree 66 yards in a half is pretty good running especially when you consider that the inside of your line are backups and what they were going up against with respect to defense.

When your only threat gets 66 yards in a half that is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1085452
    Are they learning exactly how not to play?
    Not sure I understand the question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast