Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings rookie RB Toby Gerhart gaining yards,trust

I'm still not sold on him. Remember it was against the awful Redskins? Wasn't that the current excuse following the win? Oh I forgot that only applies to certain players.

My complaint and I have yet to see anything to change my mind is that he is not a 3rd down back. His style is that of a heavy usage feature back that will wear down a defense. Coming from a guy that preaches balance and roles I find it funny that you ignore it.

I think he can have a solid career, after he puts on some NFL muscle, as a Mendenhall type but is that what we needed behind Peterson? I guess it is a matter of opinion. I would prefer someone more mobile that is comfortable catching the ball. With Toby, if you get into a 3rd and long situation. I am not comfortable at all with his slow ass on the field.

I know, I know.......he can pass protect and catch! Well most fullbacks can as well and they don't require a 2nd round selection.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Freakout" #1080869
    His style is that of a heavy usage feature back that will wear down a defense.
    I agree, it doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing, but it's just not what the team is looking for. Hopefully he will get more and more accustomed to the role as a 3rd down back, but at the same time I like having Adrian back there also.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1080761
    How many of you still don't like him? Comeon, be honest. Again, I remember who you are and can go dig up a post or two.....LOL

I for one, liked the pick and really like how he is growing. Can you guys/gals imagine what kindof back he will be in 3 years?
    Marr,
    Like the guy but it was a terrible pick.
    You don't trade up and lose a 3rd rounder to draft this kid. All of his knocks before the draft appear to be true.

1) He is too slow
    2) He is limited in the passing game( may change)
    3) He is a one move back.

I still think drafting Best and trading up for Cook would have been a better pick up.

Hell even drafting Colt in the 3rd looks promising.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1080857
    At the combine: 6'0" 231 pound Toby Gerhart ran a 4.50 with 10 and 20 yard splits of 1.55 and 2.56. He also recorded a 38" vertical leap, 9'10" broad jump, and a 6.94 second 3-cone drill.

At the combine: Not quite 6'1" 240 pound Peyton Hillis ran a 4.64 with 10 and 20 yard splits of 1.59 and 2.68. He also recorded a 30.5" vertical leap, 9'09" broad jump, and a 7.15 second 3-cone drill.

via:
    NFL Draft Scout - Toby Gerhart
    NFL Draft Scout - Peyton Hillis

Both impressive athletes, but Gerhart more so. Let's see how he looks in his third year as a pro.

And Infidel, Csonka and Jim Kiick were "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," not Morris.
    Yeah.....sorry about that. Memory failed.

Morris, by the way, is a fascinating story if you ever have some Googling time.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

And on Hillis:

RB Peyton Hillis (6-1, 237): Ran the 40 in 4.57 and 4.58, had a 35-inch vertical jump, 4.24 short shuttle, ran position drills and kept his numbers from the combine for everything else. He looked good but dropped several passes.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807755c4&template=with
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234