singersp is online now PPO Newshound

Vikings' rise keyed by championship-caliber defense

Vikings' rise keyed by championship-caliber defense

Minnesota Vikings' rise keyed by championship-caliber defense - NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is online now PPO Newshound
    The Tampa 2 is alive and well in Minnesota
    Didn't Marrdro say we ran the C2 here & not the T2?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Didn't Marrdro say we ran the C2 here & not the T2?
    Yes, I believe that is his take on things.

It was a good read. The defense is definitely playing much better this year, part of it is upgraded talent in the secondary (especially the play of Harrison Smith), but I think the majority of the credit should go to Alan Williams and how he is preparing for each game. Our defense is showing a lot of different looks this year and have modified their game plan quite a bit from game to game based on what they have seen on film from their opponents.

We are seeing more man coverage along with mixtures of Cover 1,2 and 3 along with of course our base Tampa 2 . Last week we didn't blitz a single time, whereas, in other games we blitzed fairly often. Adoption to the team your playing is always key and I'm seeing a lot more of it this year than in year's past. The addition of Harrison and Josh along with Cook coming back I'm sure is a very large part of it, but I give the DC a lot of credit as well.

The DL rotation has been working nicely, giving us a good combination of run defense and pressure. Like what he says about Griffen:

Everson Griffen is a playmaker with the ability to wreak havoc on the pocket from multiple alignments. With experience as an outside linebacker, defensive end and defensive tackle, Griffen is the hybrid rusher every defense needs to fulfill an exotic sub package.
    And Harrison:

Harrison Smith is the straw that stirs the drink.

Harrison Smith
    The evolution of the NFL into a spread-formation league has made it imperative for elite defenses to have a hybrid safety in the starting lineup. NFL tight ends possess the speed and athleticism of wide receivers in bodies built like those of NBA power forwards. Safeties must have corner-like movement skills while also displaying linebacker physicality. Smith certainly fits the bill, with a 6-foot-2, 214-pound frame and a nasty disposition that intimidates pass-catchers venturing over the middle of the field.

After studying the All-22, I'm surprised at how quickly Smith has developed into a Pro Bowl-caliber safety. He is versatile enough to make plays against the run as a box defender, but he also displays the cover skills and range to be effective in man or zone coverage. This enables the Vikings to utilize Smith in a variety of ways.