Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings resign Ross

This is the other article, I thought I was giving correct info with the 2 reports. But I was mislead!

Posted on Tue, Oct. 12, 2004

Vikings defense is frustrated

Secondary struggling late in games

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

Vikings cornerback Terrance Shaw stormed out of Winter Park on Monday, cursing his and his unit's play the day before against the Houston Texans.

He lamented the 22-yard, tying touchdown he gave up to receiver Andre Johnson with two minutes remaining. He lamented David Carr's 372 passing yards. And he lamented the Vikings' last-ranked pass defense.

Actually, lament is too kind a word.

"That was trash," Shaw said of the touchdown. "I thought the play was over. It was mental for me. I haven't been scored on in two years. I was (upset). I try to go into the game and not give up a single catch.

"Our secondary is too good to give up 300 passing yards," he added. "And we're better than what our (rankings) say. I don't like it. I'm (upset). I'm frustrated."

Imagine Shaw's wrath had the Vikings lost.

Although he was more animated than most of his teammates, Shaw expressed a genuine disappointment by the defense — the secondary in particular — in their second-half funks over the past two games.

Houston's Carr and Chicago's Rex Grossman had a combined 153 first-half passing yards against the Vikings. But the two young quarterbacks combined for 434 passing yards in the second half of each game.

"It was a tale of two halves," Vikings free safety Brian Russell said.

Vikings coach Mike Tice said the coaches will send play calls into the players earlier to improve communication, giving the players more time to digest them and make proper adjustments. As for the secondary, though, Tice noted he would like the cornerbacks to be tighter in their coverage in certain situations.

Although they remain confident in their current personnel, the Vikings are strongly considering re-signing cornerback Derek Ross. But Ross, who was sidelined with a knee injury, is believed to be visiting the Denver Broncos, and he might not be available until Wednesday. His addition would ease concerns because Rushen Jones, slowed with a hamstring injury, is not expected to play Sunday, and Ralph Brown is coming off a lackluster performance.

Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was pleased with the effort of his defensive backs, and he added that the problems back there aren't major ones.

"It's not like people are running wide open," he said.

Cottrell said the Texans made what he calls "earned" catches, meaning the receiver makes a tough play in tough coverage.

But Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield doesn't expect that to stop opposing teams from targeting his unit, especially by forcing them to field their fourth cornerback.

"It's going to happen," he said. "Teams are going to abandon the run. I think our defensive line is doing a good job up front. We're not holding our own right now. I mean, if any team sees a weakness, they're going to try and expose it."

Winfield, however, said, "I would love for that to happen."

That's because Winfield is confident the Vikings have the personnel and the talent to fix their mistakes and flourish as the season progresses.

"We had some good secondaries in Buffalo, where we finished one and two in the league," Winfield said. "But this is probably the best secondary I've been on. This team has enough talent to get us up there (in the rankings)."

Shaw went one step further.

"In New England (in 2001), we started 1-4," said Shaw, whoplayed in two of the past three Super Bowls. "Our secondary didn't play as well as this secondary.

"I think this secondary is the backbone of this defense. It's the little things we need to fix. But the little things add up."

As he started the engine of his luxury sedan, Shaw vented some more about his unit's unsatisfactory play Sunday. But as he pulled away, Shaw added, "Expect big things from this secondary."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Vikings resign Ross

"whackthepack" wrote:
    This is the other article, I thought I was giving correct info with the 2 reports. But I was mislead!

Posted on Tue, Oct. 12, 2004

Vikings defense is frustrated

Secondary struggling late in games

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

Vikings cornerback Terrance Shaw stormed out of Winter Park on Monday, cursing his and his unit's play the day before against the Houston Texans.

He lamented the 22-yard, tying touchdown he gave up to receiver Andre Johnson with two minutes remaining. He lamented David Carr's 372 passing yards. And he lamented the Vikings' last-ranked pass defense.

Actually, lament is too kind a word.

"That was trash," Shaw said of the touchdown. "I thought the play was over. It was mental for me. I haven't been scored on in two years. I was (upset). I try to go into the game and not give up a single catch.

"Our secondary is too good to give up 300 passing yards," he added. "And we're better than what our (rankings) say. I don't like it. I'm (upset). I'm frustrated."

Imagine Shaw's wrath had the Vikings lost.

Although he was more animated than most of his teammates, Shaw expressed a genuine disappointment by the defense — the secondary in particular — in their second-half funks over the past two games.

Houston's Carr and Chicago's Rex Grossman had a combined 153 first-half passing yards against the Vikings. But the two young quarterbacks combined for 434 passing yards in the second half of each game.

"It was a tale of two halves," Vikings free safety Brian Russell said.

Vikings coach Mike Tice said the coaches will send play calls into the players earlier to improve communication, giving the players more time to digest them and make proper adjustments. As for the secondary, though, Tice noted he would like the cornerbacks to be tighter in their coverage in certain situations.

Although they remain confident in their current personnel, the Vikings are strongly considering re-signing cornerback Derek Ross. But Ross, who was sidelined with a knee injury, is believed to be visiting the Denver Broncos, and he might not be available until Wednesday. His addition would ease concerns because Rushen Jones, slowed with a hamstring injury, is not expected to play Sunday, and Ralph Brown is coming off a lackluster performance.

Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was pleased with the effort of his defensive backs, and he added that the problems back there aren't major ones.

"It's not like people are running wide open," he said.

Cottrell said the Texans made what he calls "earned" catches, meaning the receiver makes a tough play in tough coverage.

But Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield doesn't expect that to stop opposing teams from targeting his unit, especially by forcing them to field their fourth cornerback.

"It's going to happen," he said. "Teams are going to abandon the run. I think our defensive line is doing a good job up front. We're not holding our own right now. I mean, if any team sees a weakness, they're going to try and expose it."

Winfield, however, said, "I would love for that to happen."

That's because Winfield is confident the Vikings have the personnel and the talent to fix their mistakes and flourish as the season progresses.

"We had some good secondaries in Buffalo, where we finished one and two in the league," Winfield said. "But this is probably the best secondary I've been on. This team has enough talent to get us up there (in the rankings)."

Shaw went one step further.

"In New England (in 2001), we started 1-4," said Shaw, whoplayed in two of the past three Super Bowls. "Our secondary didn't play as well as this secondary.

"I think this secondary is the backbone of this defense. It's the little things we need to fix. But the little things add up."

As he started the engine of his luxury sedan, Shaw vented some more about his unit's unsatisfactory play Sunday. But as he pulled away, Shaw added, "Expect big things from this secondary."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually agree with cottrell here. The texans caught a lot of tough balls that were well contested. I thought we had pretty darn good coverage on johnson, yet he made some big plays. It is just the same for other teams against Moss, TO, and harrison.

I do hope we can get ross back here. He has a ton of talent, and would be a great addition, if he stays healthy.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings resign Ross

Heard two seperate reports today that we did sign Ross and cut Brown and Rushen Jones.

I can not guarantee that this is true but I respect both sources and hoep they are correct about Ross.

Thought Rushen might be OK if he had some time and could stop making the mental mistakes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Vikings resign Ross

It seems evey time I see Shaw play it is a missed tackle, or pass interference. Whether its called or not. I just saw one of Johnsons missed catches in slow motion. Shaw grabbed his arm, and then stuck his other arm up. The commentators did nothing but praise the play, but that shoulda been pass interference. Maybe he has just caught my eye, but I think he just isn't that good of a pick up. Hope Ross is better, if we get him. And I agree with the Texans caught some TOUGH balls in coverage. And landed on thier heads. Nice passes, amazing catches. They just aren't slouches. But you can't do that every single game either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12