Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If our team wants to better themselves at the punter position than do so. But by all means choose a punter that's already better than the one we got, not one that's the same as what we've got that might get better if we coach him.

If you feel that a college punter will get better by NFL coaching alone, than think how good a punter would be after we coach him if he's already a lot better than Kluwe, rather than at the same level.

Again, I don't think Kluwe's activism was the main reasion he will be let go, even though Kluwe himself is stating that, but I do believe it's part of it. To think otherwise, IMO is naive.
    You do realize we drafted the top punter rigth? Pretty hard to go out and draft one that is better.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You do realize we drafted the top punter rigth? Pretty hard to go out and draft one that is better.
    The top punter? He was not rated the top punter on most boards.

The top punter, the guy that won the Ray Guy award for the best punter in college football the last two seasons, went undrafted and signed with the Patriots.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The top punter? He was not rated the top punter on most boards.

The top punter, the guy that won the Ray Guy award for the best punter in college football the last two seasons, went undrafted and signed with the Patriots.
    Are you referring to Ryan Allen?

1. Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
    Projected Round (2013): 6-FA.
    4/23/13: Allen averaged 48 yards per punt in 2012. He was a real weapon for Louisiana Tech. Allen did a good job of punting at the Senior Bowl and helped himself. He averaged 52.4 yards per punt on five attempts with a long of 54 in the Senior Bowl game.
    3. Jeff Locke, P, UCLA
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 218.
    Projected Round (2011): 6-FA.
    4/23/13: It wouldn't be surprising if Locke is the first punter selected. He is very close to Wing and Allen. Locke punted well at the Senior Bowl, averaging 45 yards per punt with a long of 53 and two punts downed inside the 20 in the actual game. The senior averaged 43 yards per punt for the Bruins in 2012. Locke was a 4-year starter who punted well as a junior (44 yards per punt), sophomore (46 yards per punt) and freshman (44 yards per punt).
    WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft: Punter Rankings

In the NFL Allen's average of 48 yards/punt would have put him at 7th last year.

In the NFL Locke's average of 43 yards/punt would have put him tied for 31st last year. 7 spots below Kluwe.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings release punter T.J. Conley, Waive CB Nick Taylor

I think those stats were actually in metric.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    I'm curious - not sure if a stat hound can find this and break it down - but how many times has our field position affected Kluwe's punt distance?

Further, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a big punter stat guy), but isn't the return deducted from the punt to determine the NET distance? having a crappy cover team would yield a punter some pretty crappy stats in that case.

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I'm curious - not sure if a stat hound can find this and break it down - but how many times has our field position affected Kluwe's punt distance?

Further, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a big punter stat guy), but isn't the return deducted from the punt to determine the NET distance? having a crappy cover team would yield a punter some pretty crappy stats in that case.

Caine
    The average yards listed above are punt distances, not net distances, thereby eliminating any bad/good return coverage. Kluwe's net average after the return last year was 39.7.

As far as your other stats, you can find them here;

Chris Kluwe: Situational Stats at NFL.com

From inside our 20 he averaged 47.4 in 23 punts
    From inside our 50 to the 21 he averaged 46.1 in 44 punts
    From inside our opponents 49 to 20 he averaged 36.4 in 10 punts

I don't see those type of situational stats for Locke. Hang times are another stat I don't see for either.

The other perceived advantage that Locke would have over Kluwe is that he is a lefty & that puts a different spin on the return game.

Does Jeff Locke Bring A Different Angle for Special Teams? - Daily Norseman
    Last edited by singersp; 05-05-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Well, I'm sure the kid will provide similar stats to Kluwe, wont be vocal or controversial...for about a quarter of the cost.

I think the price tag is a larger part of this equation than the Kluwe comments or production.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Well, I'm sure the kid will provide similar stats to Kluwe, wont be vocal or controversial...for about a quarter of the cost.

I think the price tag is a larger part of this equation than the Kluwe comments or production.
    I think all 3 play a factor.

If you can get similar results from Locke as you do with Kluwe, for less money, from a player who is less vocal & less controversial off the field, which would you choose?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Are you referring to Ryan Allen?

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft: Punter Rankings

In the NFL Allen's average of 48 yards/punt would have put him at 7th last year.

In the NFL Locke's average of 43 yards/punt would have put him tied for 31st last year. 7 spots below Kluwe.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, deep breathe, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, he used Walterfootballs big board.

LOL, just kidding.

Ourlads has him number one. I'd give you the link but its a magazine put together by actual NFL scouts....

CBS sports is another one I like, mostly because Mr. Gil Brandt, the godfather of the NFL draft helps with the rankings has him number one...

NFL Draft - 2013 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Jeff Locke, P, UCLA, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Whats even more important about him than his ranking, is, like all players this staff seems to want to bring in, he can play (or add depth) multiple positions if asked.

Because of his leg strength, Locke was sent out to attempt some long-distance field goals for the Bruins in 2011 and flashed enough success to potentially earn more consideration in this role down the road, nailing kicks from 49 and 51 yards against the Texas Longhorns.

........snip.........................

Possessing a legitimate NFL frame for the position and a booming leg, Locke certainly looks the part. He's consistently been able to flip the field for the Bruins as a punter, ranking among national leaders in net punting throughout his entire career. The leg strength is perhaps even more noticeable on kickoffs, as he has had 55 touchbacks over his career.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, deep breathe, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, he used Walterfootballs big board.

LOL, just kidding.

Ourlads has him number one. I'd give you the link but its a magazine put together by actual NFL scouts....

CBS sports is another one I like, mostly because Mr. Gil Brandt, the godfather of the NFL draft helps with the rankings has him number one...

NFL Draft - 2013 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Jeff Locke, P, UCLA, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Whats even more important about him than his ranking, is, like all players this staff seems to want to bring in, he can play (or add depth) multiple positions if asked.

Doesn't matter what big board I used to find his name. Is he the guy who won the Ray Guy award or not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast