Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings release punter T.J. Conley, Waive CB Nick Taylor

Decisions, decisions at the Punter position. What will they do.

Scout.com: T.J. Conley Profile

Vikings waive CB Nick Taylor
    Scout.com: Nick Taylor Profile
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    As much as I like Kluwe and wish he'd stay, I think the writing's on the wall.

You don't waste a draft pick for training camp competition at kicker and punter. I think the writing is on the wall for Kluwe. Unless this kid flat out sucks, I expect him to be starting this year.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    As much as I like Kluwe and wish he'd stay, I think the writing's on the wall.

You don't waste a draft pick for training camp competition at kicker and punter. I think the writing is on the wall for Kluwe. Unless this kid flat out sucks, I expect him to be starting this year.
    You see were statistically Kluwe was ranked the last 2 years. I was to lazy to take it back 3 or 4 years.

As with Shortwell, his time has come and gone. Most fans just refuse to see it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You see were statistically Kluwe was ranked the last 2 years. I was to lazy to take it back 3 or 4 years.

As with Shortwell, his time has come and gone. Most fans just refuse to see it.
    18th and 19th in net average the last 2 years.
    I bet he finds a job somewhere else.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    I was unaware these guys were on the roster.

I guess it is not a series of big moves there.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    You see were statistically Kluwe was ranked the last 2 years.
    I did. How did they compare to Locke's numbers again?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I did. How did they compare to Locke's numbers again?
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Lets let Locke get some NFL coaching and then see what he does.

Or did you forget how down you were on Walsh because of his poor senior numbers? One year of NFL coaching (without a Vet Mentor by the way.....snicker......) sure turned him around and made him into a pretty damn effective weapon even though you didn't think he would.

....one last snicker......

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Lets let Locke get some NFL coaching and then see what he does.

Or did you forget how down you were on Walsh because of his poor senior numbers? One year of NFL coaching (without a Vet Mentor by the way.....snicker......) sure turned him around and made him into a pretty damn effective weapon even though you didn't think he would.

....one last snicker......
    It has more to do of why he will be released.

Nope didn't forget about Walsh. After having the Senior year he had, he had to prove to me he still had it & could. I never said he couldn't or won't (there you go again saying I said things I didn't). Even in preseason Walsh missed 25% of his FG's. Vet mentor Marty? who the fuck needs a mentor for a kicking position LOL! What I said about Longwell was keep him on the roster to make sure that Walsh could kick FG's. I've disliked for years the fact that Longwell couldn't kick it out of the endzone, but replacing him with a kicker who missed 40% of his FG's his senior year without making sure he could improve upon that before cutting him was a hell of a gamble.

Now back to the original subject. Unlike Walsh, who had great numbers in his sophomore & junior years, Locke's numbers have been pretty constant.

Last year Locke averaged 43.3 yards per kick. Career he averaged 44.2.

Last year Kluwe averaged 45.0 yards per kick. Career he averaged 44.4.

Now to sit their & claim the sole reason Kluwe is getting replaced is because of his ranking & Locke is a far better kicker & it absolutely has nothing to do with his activism is ridiculous.

Considering Kluwe himself feels that his activism is the reason he's getting let go;
    “It’s a shame that in a league with players given multiple second chances after arrests, including felony arrests, that speaking out on human rights has a chance of getting you cut,” Kluwe told PFT via text message.
    Kluwe thinks his activism for human rights could get him cut | ProFootballTalk

and that his ST coach is tired of his antics;
    “I don’t even want to talk about that,” Mike Priefer said Thursday. “Those distractions are getting old for me, to be quite honest with you. Do I think Ray Guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there’s other ways of going about doing it, in my opinion.”

The Vikings have generally stood behind their renaissance man, rarely getting in the way when he has tried to use his platform to raise awareness to issues away from the field. Kluwe became an important and high-profile advocate for gay marriage during the election.

“To me, it’s getting old,” Priefer said. “He’s got to focus on punting and holding.”
    Coach getting tired of Kluwe

It would seem reasonable to factor into the decision to bring in a new punter. I know the organization is 100% behind Kluwe's views & activism off the field & Spielman has made that fact known, but that doesn't mean they are 100% behind bringing those views in house, inside the locker room.

Priefer claimed that "Those distractions are getting old for me" back when Kluwe used a game as a venue as a means of displaying his personnel views on Ray Guy, which would mean it wasn't the 1st time he brought his views in house.

I posted another article a few days back where I think the writer nailed it. While teams are very supportive of their players being active on outside controversial issues, they tend to sign players who are more quiet & replace those who are quite active with a player who is not.

With Locke, they aren't getting a player who is clearly head & shoulders above Kluwe. They are getting a similar player who is younger, comes with a cheaper price tag & isn't vocal on off-field controversial issues.

IMO, all 3 play a role in the decision to bring Locke in.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It has more to do of why he will be released.

Nope didn't forget about Walsh. After having the Senior year he had, he had to prove to me he still had it & could. I never said he couldn't or won't (there you go again saying I said things I didn't). Even in preseason Walsh missed 25% of his FG's. Vet mentor Marty? who the fuck needs a mentor for a kicking position LOL! What I said about Longwell was keep him on the roster to make sure that Walsh could kick FG's. I've disliked for years the fact that Longwell couldn't kick it out of the endzone, but replacing him with a kicker who missed 40% of his FG's his senior year without making sure he could improve upon that before cutting him was a hell of a gamble.

Now back to the original subject. Unlike Walsh, who had great numbers in his sophomore & junior years, Locke's numbers have been pretty constant.

Last year Locke averaged 43.3 yards per kick. Career he averaged 44.2.

Last year Kluwe averaged 45.0 yards per kick. Career he averaged 44.4.

Now to sit their & claim the sole reason Kluwe is getting replaced is because of his ranking & Locke is a far better kicker & it absolutely has nothing to do with his activism is ridiculous.

Considering Kluwe himself feels that his activism is the reason he's getting let go;

Kluwe thinks his activism for human rights could get him cut | ProFootballTalk

and that his ST coach is tired of his antics;

Coach getting tired of Kluwe

It would seem reasonable to factor into the decision to bring in a new punter. I know the organization is 100% behind Kluwe's views & activism off the field & Spielman has made that fact known, but that doesn't mean they are 100% behind bringing those views in house, inside the locker room.

Priefer claimed that "Those distractions are getting old for me" back when Kluwe used a game as a venue as a means of displaying his personnel views on Ray Guy, which would mean it wasn't the 1st time he brought his views in house.

I posted another article a few days back where I think the writer nailed it. While teams are very supportive of their players being active on outside controversial issues, they tend to sign players who are more quiet & replace those who are quite active with a player who is not.

With Locke, they aren't getting a player who is clearly head & shoulders above Kluwe. They are getting a similar player who is younger, comes with a cheaper price tag & isn't vocal on off-field controversial issues.

IMO, all 3 play a role in the decision to bring Locke in.
    Your still missing the mark when your trying to compare what Locke did at the collegiate level compared to what Kluwe did at the NFL level.

All your doing is proving to me that Locke could possibly be ranked at, or about were Kluweless was and thats without NLF coaching. Again, makes no sense, unless of course you want to go ahead and spin it that they are only getting rid of him because of his off the field views and not because he is ranked in the bottom half to 1/3 of the league in punters.

Banish the thought that a team would want to be better at punting as a reason for getting rid of him. No, no, they like being at the bottom 1/3, they are only getting rid of him because he supports a certain sexual preference. WOW.

Vet mentor Marty? who the fuck needs a mentor for a kicking position LOL!
    So now your saying that coaches coach, and players play, but only when it comes to kicking?

ALL other position coaches are there just to bring water and coffee. Yea right. I see how it is.

Your still missing the mark when your trying to compare what Locke did at the collegiate level compared to what Kluwe did at the NFL level.

All your doing is proving to me that Locke could possibly be ranked at, or about were Kluweless was and thats without NLF coaching. Again, makes no sense, unless of course you want to go ahead and spin it that they are only getting rid of him because of his off the field views and not because he is ranked in the bottom half to 1/3 of the league in punters.

Banish the thought that a team would want to be better at punting as a reason for getting rid of him. No, no, they like being at the bottom 1/3, they are only getting rid of him because he supports a certain sexual preference. WOW.

So now your saying that coaches coach, and players play, but only when it comes to kicking?

ALL other position coaches are there just to bring water and coffee. Yea right. I see how it is.
    If our team wants to better themselves at the punter position than do so. But by all means choose a punter that's already better than the one we got, not one that's the same as what we've got that might get better if we coach him.

If you feel that a college punter will get better by NFL coaching alone, than think how good a punter would be after we coach him if he's already a lot better than Kluwe, rather than at the same level.

Again, I don't think Kluwe's activism was the main reasion he will be let go, even though Kluwe himself is stating that, but I do believe it's part of it. To think otherwise, IMO is naive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast