Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    I really find it hard to believe that the off the field media (twitter, FB, news feeds) had anything to do with the decision. Why? becuase it was pushed by the NFL as + things being said by players, when there was soooo much - being said by idiotic or.. stunt minded players.. If they really wanted it shut down, they coulda very easily just brushed over it as with other bad news they push under the carpet.

I do believe this was a, youth, $, and skill decision.. Kluwe while he was good, was never GREAT.. and could not do the multi facets that our rookie seems to be able to do. as far as compitation? really? did you really expect there to be compitition with a 5th round pick?

I'm glad they didn't drag it out, this gives chris a chance to catch on with another team, and work with their people to get settled in. instead of saying.. ohh your stuck here till the season starts.. then he'd be fcked..

Good Luck Kluwe, go kill in Astaroth for a while, Orgimar bar hang out or something until the phone rings.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    As someone else mentioned, an underrated aspect of what he did was holding. I don't recall him EVER screwing up a hold. Even a bad snap, he's been able to get it down. Perhaps his his lanky 6'5" frame that lets him get ahold of basically anything to put in play.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    As someone else mentioned, an underrated aspect of what he did was holding. I don't recall him EVER screwing up a hold. Even a bad snap, he's been able to get it down. Perhaps his his lanky 6'5" frame that lets him get ahold of basically anything to put in play.
    One of Locke's strengths is that he can get the hold down, at least at the collegiate level.

Interesting item, the Vikes were sniffing about at some Long Snappers. Might be in for a whole new group in that area with Blair being the vet.

As with the LB'rs, just another example (if true) that the FO pukes want to win, but aren't afraid to continue rebuilding in certain areas while trying to do so.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Sorry, but I don't buy the whole "football decision" spiel. It's only a money decision. That's it.

The worst year of Kluwe's career, by far, came in 2008, a year after signing his current contract. That season he punted once more(73 times) than he did in 2012 for more than six times as many touchbacks(13,) 5 yard less net average, 4 more touchdowns(0 in 2012,) double the return yardage, and had the only punt of his career blocked. If this were a performance based cut, he'd have been gone then.

People remember a select few punts gone wrong(very, very wrong) this past season, but other than those he had a pretty good year, consistent with his better seasons in most measurable categories.

Cutting him now left the Vikings with no dead money from his contract(he received the final payment on his signing bonus in 2012) and over a million in new cap space.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 05-07-2013 at 08:56 AM.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I'd agree with this. We're low on cap, and the extra 1.4 million can go a long way with signing rookies and giving us some wiggle room.

My bet is when doing their scouting , they assigned a value to loeke, just like they would anyone else. This value probably took into account the savings from getting rid of kluwe. In the fifth round, the benefit of a young punter that brings cap savings outweighed the benefit of anyone else available in the fifth round.

With this pick, we got someone who can contribute in day one, in a position that comparatively isn't that hard to pick up.

In the end, and I'm sure kluwe knows this too, it came down to money first, production second, off-field stuff last.

Like it or not, kluwe probably would not be resigned when his contact is up. He doesn't have the boom he used to have, and is paid pretty well. I'm glad we got a guy we wanted rather than having to settle for someone else in a couple years

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy the whole "football decision" spiel. It's only a money decision. That's it.

The worst year of Kluwe's career, by far, came in 2008, a year after signing his current contract. That season he punted once more(73 times) than he did in 2012 for more than six times as many touchbacks(13,) 5 yard less net average, 4 more touchdowns(0 in 2012,) double the return yardage, and had the only punt of his career blocked. If this were a performance based cut, he'd have been gone then.

People remember a select few punts gone wrong(very, very wrong) this past season, but other than those he had a pretty good year, consistent with his better seasons in most measurable categories.

Cutting him now left the Vikings with no dead money from his contract(he received the final payment on his signing bonus in 2012) and over a million in new cap space.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post

I'm buying into your money discussion point but I'm not going to agree he had a pretty good year.

I will agree that he was about as consistent last year as we was the year before and the year after, but if you remember, I was clamoring for his head then as well. That, by the way, was long before the off the field stuff.

I relented a bit when the new ST Coord took over and it appeared he had him back on track kicking to spots instead of just kicking the heck out of it, but that quickly faded about half way through that year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Walsh only breaks those records with a good holder.

Let's hope Locke, or whomever, can do a good job and get the timing down with Walsh because kicking is about timing almost as much as it is leg.

Chris Kluwe release not fair, Minnesota governor says - NFL.com

"I don't feel good about it," Dayton said Wednesday via the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "I mean I'm not in position to evaluate the role and their punting abilities. But it seems to me the general manager said right after the draft that they were going to have competition. Well, then he brings the one guy (rookie Jeff Locke) in, he kicks for a weekend and that's the competition? I mean, I just think sports officials ought to be honest about what the heck is going on."

Really??? Doesn't he have better things to chime in on than the release of a viking punter? So sad.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    LMAO ! A politician thinks 'sports officials' should be honest.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    This is so disappointing. Kluwe is my all-time favorite VIking, I really hope he catches on elsewhere. I still am not convinced that he didn't get cut at least in part for his off the field "issues" (ie: being a good person).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast