Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings Release 8 Players

"boognish" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    we should get branch..we saved all the money from the k rob contract, and now we can use it to sign a big name like him..the market on these type of guys is a 2nd or 3rd round pick, so i say we should get it done as soon as possible..i think Jason Carter is a lock to make the team regardless because hes shown he can be a big time player, and hes clearly got more talent than McMullen or anybody else trying out for the 4th and 5th receiver spots

I couldn't agree more with you.. I strongly believe that Carter will make the final roster.. He has shown some real talent, and for sure is better then McMullen.. I really hope that the Vikes sign Branch.. He would be a great pickup for us, and help fill the void with the release of Koren Robinson..
    Perhaps we could even package McMullen with a pick to acquire Branch. The more I think about it, the better the idea sounds. We now have the majority of Karen's salary to use to pay Branch's salary.
    this is my take on a trade for Branch..Ashley Lelie has had a 1000+ yard season in his career, and was dealt for just a 3rd round pick, meanwhile Branch's career high in yards in a season is like 900 something..this is why i believe a 2nd or 3rd rounder would get him from NE..i like the idea of getting rid of McMullen though simply because hes complete garbage anyways, and like you mentioned, all the money Koren was supposed to get can now go towards Branch's salary
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"olson_10" wrote:
    "boognish" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    we should get branch..we saved all the money from the k rob contract, and now we can use it to sign a big name like him..the market on these type of guys is a 2nd or 3rd round pick, so i say we should get it done as soon as possible..i think Jason Carter is a lock to make the team regardless because hes shown he can be a big time player, and hes clearly got more talent than McMullen or anybody else trying out for the 4th and 5th receiver spots

I couldn't agree more with you.. I strongly believe that Carter will make the final roster.. He has shown some real talent, and for sure is better then McMullen.. I really hope that the Vikes sign Branch.. He would be a great pickup for us, and help fill the void with the release of Koren Robinson..
    Perhaps we could even package McMullen with a pick to acquire Branch. The more I think about it, the better the idea sounds. We now have the majority of Karen's salary to use to pay Branch's salary.
    this is my take on a trade for Branch..Ashley Lelie has had a 1000+ yard season in his career, and was dealt for just a 3rd round pick, meanwhile Branch's career high in yards in a season is like 900 something..this is why i believe a 2nd or 3rd rounder would get him from NE..i like the idea of getting rid of McMullen though simply because hes complete garbage anyways, and like you mentioned, all the money Koren was supposed to get can now go towards Branch's salary

That's not quite a correct assumption Branch got his 900 while being the #1 guy that all defenses honed in on stopping while Lelie got his 1000 by other teams keying on stopping their #1 Rod Smith. Also Denver had all the time in the world to wait to get rid of Lelie and enough talent around to wait for their price the Patriots however are giving Branch a week and they are not as deep with their WRs they won't let him go unless they are much better compensated then Denver was.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

If we can get Branch for a 2nd round pick or lower we better pull off that trade!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

where i believe that Branch will be a great pick up. i don't think we need to reach and give NE evrything they want for him. some kinda package deal would be good, like a 3rd round that can be a 2nd if he goes over 1k yrds or say 8 TD's.

also toss in M.mcNoAim and we could add branch to a pool of capable but not star like WR's. what we're looking for is guys who can run after the catch.. not just get downfield.
    and seems branch would fit that.

my opionin.. go get him!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"grpape" wrote:
    So what was the final numbers that we saved from releasing him?
    Posted on Sun, Aug. 27, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings say goodbye to Robinson, $1.1 million[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings unceremoniously released receiver Koren Robinson on Saturday afternoon.

But how much money they saved remains to be seen.

By cutting him now, the Vikings are out only $1.1 million of the $12.7 million, three-year contract Robinson signed in March. But the remaining amount could be an issue if Robinson grieves the matter.

Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, declined comment, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was unavailable Saturday, and coach Brad Childress will address reporters today at Winter Park.

The Vikings have been mum about Robinson's future with the club since his Aug. 15 arrest following a high-speed chase that ended near the Minnesota State Mankato campus, where the team holds training camp. Robinson was charged the next day with a felony count of fleeing a police officer, two misdemeanor charges of fourth-degree driving while impaired, and misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, careless driving and driving after his North Carolina license was suspended.

Excused from team activities since his arrest, Robinson was cut along with seven unheralded players Saturday afternoon with a mandatory cut to 75 looming Tuesday. The news release announcing the cuts included only the players' names, positions, schools and years of NFL experience.

According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, a team not in salary-cap trouble must cite one of four reasons for terminating a player's contract: failure to make a complete disclosure of a physical or mental condition during a physical exam, unsatisfactory performance compared to other players, personal conduct which adversely affects or reflects on the team, or poor physical condition.

According to two league sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the Vikings could reasonably choose only one option.

The most obvious reason — personal conduct — might not appear reasonable, the sources said, because Robinson has not admitted to or been found guilty of anything. If the Vikings cited personal conduct for their reason to dismiss him, the team could owe him a large chunk of his $12.7 million contract if Robinson were exonerated on all charges.

That leaves skill or performance, which are subjective arguments. Before his arrest, Robinson had been expected to be the team's No. 1 receiver this season.

By releasing Robinson now, the Vikings are out only $1.1 million, the amount of his workout and signing bonuses. If he were on the roster for the start of the season, Robinson's $700,000 base salary would be fully guaranteed and non-recoverable under the terms of the CBA. In addition, for each game he was on the roster, Robinson would have collected an additional $81,250, or $1.3 million for the season.

But if the Vikings released him citing skill, they would not be able to recover the $1.1 million they've given him, even if he were convicted later. While a player might have violated the terms of his bonus, the Vikings cannot change their reason for releasing him at a later date.

Even so, Childress has backed his comments about creating a "culture of accountability."

"He's obviously sending a message saying that if you're not accountable, these are some of the things you're going to have to face," Vikings tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "He made it a point that you have to be accountable for what you put out there, whether that's on or off the field. That's what we have to realize, as men, as Minnesota Vikings. What we do on and off the field affects our future. That's the biggest thing."

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie said, "He wants people he can depend on, on and off the field.

"Everyone has to become adults and become responsible."

Robinson has 45 days to file a non-injury grievance with the NFL, which sets a hearing before arbitrators. Robinson is free to sign with other teams, although he still faces a one-year suspension from the NFL.

The other seven players released by the Vikings were tackle Sean Bubin, defensive tackle Manase Hopoi, former Gophers wide receiver Aaron Hosack, fullback Brandon Jones, linebacker Marcus Lawrence, safety Ahmad Treaudo and guard Mark Wilson.

• The agent for receiver Deion Branch, who has been given permission from the New England Patriots to seek a trade, did not return phone messages left for him Saturday. The asking price for Branch is expected to be at least a third-round pick, if not higher, and a double-digit signing bonus.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Exactly why are we discussing Branch in a thread about the 8 players we released?

IMO that thread should not have been merged with this thread. Two totally different topics.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    So what was the final numbers that we saved from releasing him?
    Posted on Sun, Aug. 27, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings say goodbye to Robinson, $1.1 million[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings unceremoniously released receiver Koren Robinson on Saturday afternoon.

But how much money they saved remains to be seen.

By cutting him now, the Vikings are out only $1.1 million of the $12.7 million, three-year contract Robinson signed in March. But the remaining amount could be an issue if Robinson grieves the matter.

Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, declined comment, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was unavailable Saturday, and coach Brad Childress will address reporters today at Winter Park.

The Vikings have been mum about Robinson's future with the club since his Aug. 15 arrest following a high-speed chase that ended near the Minnesota State Mankato campus, where the team holds training camp. Robinson was charged the next day with a felony count of fleeing a police officer, two misdemeanor charges of fourth-degree driving while impaired, and misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, careless driving and driving after his North Carolina license was suspended.

Excused from team activities since his arrest, Robinson was cut along with seven unheralded players Saturday afternoon with a mandatory cut to 75 looming Tuesday. The news release announcing the cuts included only the players' names, positions, schools and years of NFL experience.

According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, a team not in salary-cap trouble must cite one of four reasons for terminating a player's contract: failure to make a complete disclosure of a physical or mental condition during a physical exam, unsatisfactory performance compared to other players, personal conduct which adversely affects or reflects on the team, or poor physical condition.

According to two league sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the Vikings could reasonably choose only one option.

The most obvious reason — personal conduct — might not appear reasonable, the sources said, because Robinson has not admitted to or been found guilty of anything. If the Vikings cited personal conduct for their reason to dismiss him, the team could owe him a large chunk of his $12.7 million contract if Robinson were exonerated on all charges.

That leaves skill or performance, which are subjective arguments. Before his arrest, Robinson had been expected to be the team's No. 1 receiver this season.

By releasing Robinson now, the Vikings are out only $1.1 million, the amount of his workout and signing bonuses. If he were on the roster for the start of the season, Robinson's $700,000 base salary would be fully guaranteed and non-recoverable under the terms of the CBA. In addition, for each game he was on the roster, Robinson would have collected an additional $81,250, or $1.3 million for the season.

But if the Vikings released him citing skill, they would not be able to recover the $1.1 million they've given him, even if he were convicted later. While a player might have violated the terms of his bonus, the Vikings cannot change their reason for releasing him at a later date.

Even so, Childress has backed his comments about creating a "culture of accountability."

"He's obviously sending a message saying that if you're not accountable, these are some of the things you're going to have to face," Vikings tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "He made it a point that you have to be accountable for what you put out there, whether that's on or off the field. That's what we have to realize, as men, as Minnesota Vikings. What we do on and off the field affects our future. That's the biggest thing."

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie said, "He wants people he can depend on, on and off the field.

"Everyone has to become adults and become responsible."

Robinson has 45 days to file a non-injury grievance with the NFL, which sets a hearing before arbitrators. Robinson is free to sign with other teams, although he still faces a one-year suspension from the NFL.

The other seven players released by the Vikings were tackle Sean Bubin, defensive tackle Manase Hopoi, former Gophers wide receiver Aaron Hosack, fullback Brandon Jones, linebacker Marcus Lawrence, safety Ahmad Treaudo and guard Mark Wilson.

• The agent for receiver Deion Branch, who has been given permission from the New England Patriots to seek a trade, did not return phone messages left for him Saturday. The asking price for Branch is expected to be at least a third-round pick, if not higher, and a double-digit signing bonus.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

I am really quite shocked that 1 of the 8 released was not JT O'Sucksalot.. If that haven't noticed by now, that guy just plain sucks.. He is horrible.. The Vikes against the Ravens had 1st and goal on the 6 yd line, and that guy can't even get a TD.. He threw the ball into the endzone, with like a 3 man coverage.. They should get rid of him soon..

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I am really quite shocked that 1 of the 8 released was not JT O'Sucksalot.. If that haven't noticed by now, that guy just plain sucks.. He is horrible.. The Vikes against the Ravens had 1st and goal on the 6 yd line, and that guy can't even get a TD.. He threw the ball into the endzone, with like a 3 man coverage.. They should get rid of him soon..
    Sad as it may be, JT O'Sucksalot is out performing McMahon 2 to 1 in passing & QB rating this preseason.

Based on the stats, McMahon should go before O'Sullivan, but McMahon is still our No.2 on the depth charts. I'm a little worried that our No. 2
    QB has only a 23.7% QB rating & has only completed 25% of his passes on a WCO team.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Sad as it may be, JT O'Sucksalot is out performing McMahon 2 to 1 in passing & QB rating this preseason.
    Based on the stats, McMahon should go before O'Sullivan, but McMahon is still our No.2 on the depth charts. I'm a little worried that our No. 2
    QB has only a 23.7% QB rating & has only completed 25% of his passes on a WCO team.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN

You are right on the money Singer. Stats and play would indicate that McMahon should be the one cut, not O'Sullivan. From an unbiased standpoint regarding McMahon and O'Sullivan (I've supported both from the beginning), I feel no need to jump on the "O'Sucksalot" bandwagon. I see a passion and ability in O'Sullivan that I do not see in McMahon.

In the end, I think it could go one of three ways:

-McMahon may be released to compete for a second string job elsewhere. Because Tavaris has easily won the backup job here and personally, I have absolutely no problem with J.T. O'Sullivan being our third string bench warmer. If the time came where Brad went down, we could bring in another vet to backup Tavaris over J.T.

-McMahon stays as our 2nd string guy, and if the time comes where he has to start some games, if he fails to win games, Tavaris comes in and McMahon is demoted.

-Release both McMahon and O'Sullivan and bring in a casualty from another team's preseason cuts (Nall, Holcomb, etc...) to learn our system as the season progresses.

Personally, I would prefer the first scenerio, but we're gonna have to wait and see what Childress does.
    Even babies know the difference.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

To me McMahon and O'Sullivan have showed some good "things", and bye that I dont mean thier the next coming of Marino.I mean they show some ability to drive the ball down field.Obviously we all know Childress has strong tyes and roots with McMahon, so hes partial to him.I cant see him leaving here, unless he really, for lack of a better term,F**ks up big time.
    I dont like him, he makes me nervous.I feel like hes ALWAYS gonna throw a pick.Anywas...I'm still shocked to read Koren's name on there, the guy broke ours hearts.He had alot of promise and talent.Alll wasted to the bottom of a boddle.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast