Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Vikings Release 8 Players

Seeya Cap't Morgan....erm, I mean Koren.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I really enjoyed Koren's play last season, and I was looking forward to seeing some of the same this season....Since that won't be happening now, I wish him the best with getting his life back on track.

I think our management made the right decision though, we are working hard for a new look team, and with off the field behavior like his, we don't need those type of distractions or worrys....

We will move on now and be a better team for it in the long run...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Bottom line is, the players that are named in the first cut either didn't fit the system, didn't out play the next guy, or just plan thru away their chances on their own...

Hosack was just probably out classed by those ahead of him on the roster...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Torontovik15 is offline Rookie

I think Childress is putting his own stamp on the team, getting rid of fringe players that Tice liked... I know Tice liked both Bubin and Horsak...
    What we got here is a failure to communicate.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"mystykoekaki" wrote:
    ;D Funny stuff. Too bad that loser couldn't get it together. Have fun down in Margaritaville, ya drunk.
    I am a dipshit!!!

revprodeji is offline Starter

There needs to be some sympathy here. Koren realised he has a problem, he tried to work with it, but stumbled. Addictions are a tough thing to deal with because the trigger is the key. I feel that Koren tried, and we should have some mercy in our judgement. I know that he was realised probably more for a public-image thing than for his own offense. I could see him in jax with Bwill and tice and I wish him well.
    www.prodeji.mychoices.biz

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=14pt]Vikings Release Receiver Koren Robinson[/size]

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    AP Sports Writer

August 26, 2006, 7:15 PM CDT

MINNEAPOLIS -- Wide receiver Koren Robinson was among eight players cut by the Minnesota Vikings on Saturday, 10 days after he was charged with drunken driving and fleeing police.

Robinson, who made his first trip to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner last season and signed a three-year, $12.7 million contract extension in March, was one of the Vikings' few bright spots last year.

Former coach Mike Tice convinced Robinson to sign with the team following a stint in an alcohol treatment facility in North Carolina, and the player rewarded Tice's faith with one of the best seasons of his up-and-down five-year career.

But as soon as things started looking up for the oft-troubled Robinson, he was back in jail.

His blue BMW sedan was caught on radar going more than 100 mph in a 55 mph zone on the night of Aug. 15, as he tried to get from the Twin Cities back to the team's training camp headquarters in Mankato for curfew.

When police tried to pull him over, Robinson refused to stop, police said. Robinson was arrested by police about 10 miles away in Mankato, and the criminal complaint said a field test measured Robinson's blood-alcohol content at 0.11 percent.

A phone message left with Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, wasn't immediately returned.

It was the latest in a long line of alcohol-related problems for Robinson, who pleaded guilty to DUI while with the Seattle Seahawks in 2005 and was suspended for four games in 2004 for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

He appeared to turn his life around last season in Minnesota, emerging as a leader on a team that badly needed some good influences. His teammates voted him the recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award and happily watched him work his way up the depth chart at receiver. He had 22 catches for 347 yards and one touchdown in five starts last season and entered this year as the team's No. 1 receiver.

His latest transgressions clearly shook teammates, who were drawn to his affable demeanor and impressed by his considerable athleticism.

"I love Koren as a friend," receiver Travis Taylor said after Robinson was arrested. "Forget football. It doesn't matter. I love Koren dearly. That's the bottom line."

Unfortunately, the Vikings can't forget about football. With just one preseason game remaining, they seem resigned to starting the season with an unproven receivers surrounding quarterback Brad Johnson.

Taylor moved into Robinson's starting spot on Friday night and second-year pro Troy Williamson has improved this preseason. But the rest of the group consists of inconsistent veterans like Marcus Robinson and Billy McMullen and rookies such as Jason Carter.

After defeating the Baltimore Ravens 30-7 in preseason action on Friday night, the Vikings were off on Saturday and new coach Brad Childress was unavailable for comment.

Owner Zygi Wilf hired the no-nonsense Childress away from Philadelphia in January after being repeatedly embarrassed by the Vikings' conduct off the field under Tice in 2005, most notably during a salacious boat party scandal in October.

Childress is off to a rocky start in that department.

Robinson's release wasn't the only news on Saturday. Starting safety Dwight Smith was cited by Minneapolis police early Saturday morning for alleged indecent conduct with a 24-year-old woman in a stairwell near a downtown night club.

Smith and the woman were released at the scene.

The Vikings also released offensive tackle Sean Bubin, defensive tackle Manase Hopoi, receiver Aaron Hosack, fullback Brandon Jones, linebacker Marcus Lawrence, safety Ahmad Treaudo and guard Mark Wilson.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

It's hard to feel bad for Koren in a football sense. He had a second chance with the Seahawks and couldn't get straight and then blew his third chance with the Vikings. So from that point of view, it's hard to throw a pity party for him. It pisses me off that the Vikes are the ones that are going to bear the brunt of his mistakes, but if you take risks on guys as an organization, you're going to get burned.

From a personal standpoint however, I DO feel bad for him. I really hope he gets his life straightened out and can overcome his alcohol problem. I say good luck Koren, and I hope you get your life straightened out.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Get well, Koren. Get back on track. I will be praying for you.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"boognish" wrote:
    "mystykoekaki" wrote:
    ;D Funny stuff. Too bad that loser couldn't get it together. Have fun down in Margaritaville, ya drunk.
    : It's quite obvious no one in your family suffers from alcoholism. It is a very serious disease that kills people every year.

It's no laughing matter & I'm glad there were people around who supported me when I fell off the wagon the 1st few times I tried to maintain sobriety. It is no easy task, believe me & millions of other people.

Besides myself, there are several other family members of mine that suffer from it. It killed my uncle a few years back.

Not once did I consider any of them "losers" by any means.

I will pray that he gets it right the next time around & learns from the mistakes he made.

He made a choice & now he will have to suffer the consequences, but that's part of the learning experience.

Koren a loser? Not by a long shot. Just an alcoholic trying to find his way & making some mistakes along the way.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast