Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings receivers ready for new chances

Posted on Mon, Apr. 10, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings receivers ready for new chances[/size]

Williamson competing to start; Robinson happy with featured role

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Vikings coach Brad Childress says he isn't looking for any one wide receiver to step up and fill Nate Burleson's shoes, but Troy Williamson is up for the challenge.

The team's No. 1 draft choice from last year used a three-day weekend minicamp to begin the process of proving he is an NFL starter, while Koren Robinson settled confidently into his new role as No. 1 receiver.

"I've been ready to do that since I came into the league," Robinson said. "I had my issues, but I feel like I'm now back to where I want to be in my life and just focusing on football."

With his off-field problems behind him, Robinson moved to the top of the Vikings' receivers chart even before Burleson left for Seattle, signing a three-year, $12.7 million contract on the eve of free agency.

Coming off a season in which he made the Pro Bowl as a kickoff returner but caught just 22 passes, Robinson is looking forward to playing a feature role as lead receiver in the Vikings' new West Coast offense.

"I'm loving it," he said. "It's the same offense I played in when I was in Seattle. I had a big year (in 2002) with 1,240 yards and 78 catches, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm the No. 1 guy right now, and I'm looking forward to a big year.'

So is Williamson, who is being given the first shot at the other starting receiver spot.

He had an unspectacular rookie season with the Vikings, catching 24 passes for 372 yards and two touchdowns, but Williamson said he felt much more at home during this minicamp than he did a year ago.

"Right now, I'm just getting into the playbook and learning what I've got to do," he said. "I'm just going on from there. The draft, you really don't know what's going to happen. Now I know what's going on and what I can expect come training camp."

Based on what Robinson has seen this offseason, Williamson has the right stuff to live up to the Vikings' expectations.

"I feel like he's going to be the other starter with me," Robinson said. "We're going to rely on him. He's going to have to carry his weight and some of the load on offense. I feel like his focus is up during the offseason workout program. He's trying to learn the playbook as fast as he can and doing extra stuff to get better to show everybody his mind is right and he's ready to help us to the next level."

Looking back on his rookie season, Williamson called it "pretty much a learning experience," but Childress has said he expects the former South Carolina star to blossom this fall.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said he and the other coaches feel good about their receiving corps, even without Burleson.

"Well, we look at it as an opportunity for those other guys that are still here," Bevell said. "We felt like we had a good stable of wide receivers. That was a strong point of this offense, and we still feel that way. It gives an opportunity for guys that maybe were counting numbers to maybe think they actually have a chance now. They've all put forth great effort. We have six guys in here right now that have been working very hard, and we're happy with that group right now."

Childress seemed less pleased when asked Sunday to evaluate the minicamp performance of his receivers.

"In general, guys that get paid to run need to make sure that they're able to run," he said. "I think we need to be in a little bit better condition. That's always a question this time of year. Body weight and conditioning — those are two things that take no talent to take care of. I would say that, across the board, as a team we could be at a little bit better level of cardio condition."

That comment was typical of the no-nonsense, businesslike atmosphere of Childress' first minicamp. But Robinson sees the method behind the tough-love strategy.

"I like coach," he said. "He's a straight shooter, just straightforward. Right now, he has to set a standard. Some people might think he's being hard, but this is his first head-coaching job. This is all new to him. You want guys to do what you say, so you've got to come in and step on some toes a little bit. Once you set a standard, everybody can relax.

"Everybody calls him a disciplinarian. I don't know if that's what was needed here, but I feel it will help us out in the little parts of the game and normal everyday life in the locker room, and that will carry over into the season."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Vikings receivers ready for new chances

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: Vikings receivers ready for new chances

Good read, thanks.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Based on what Robinson has seen this offseason, Williamson has the right stuff to live up to the Vikings' expectations.

Looking back on his rookie season, Williamson called it "pretty much a learning experience," but Childress has said he expects the former South Carolina star to blossom this fall.
    The more positive things I hear about our players, the more pumped I get for the season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

The more positive things I hear about our players, the more pumped I get for the season.
    the offseason is too long but I guess it gives you something to look forward to.

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

Koren Robinson is the only good reciever I know the rest are terrible.
    Marcus Robinson can only catch those small distance ones 10 yards from the QB

Travis Taylor- He does the same thing he can't catch worth anything. His longest reception was like 30 yards

Troy Williamson- showed promise last year with his great jumping and speed abilitiy he might be able to step in Burleson's shoes or even better.

Formerly Viking24

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"ViKing24" wrote:

Travis Taylor- He does the same thing he can't catch worth anything. His longest reception was like 30 yards

Troy Williamson- showed promise last year with his great jumping and speed abilitiy he might be able to step in Burleson's shoes or even better.
    I hope they learned not build around just one reciever they, found out that was a mistake when moss left

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I'm glad Childress seems happy with the receiving corps. After receivers like T-Ho and Freddie Bitchell in Philly he probably thinks he's died and gone to heaven now that he has guys with talent AND good attitudes.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ViKing24" wrote:

K-Rob is a great reciever, but that doesn't mean that the others are terrible. I think T-Will is going to have a break out year. Taylor is an outstanding 3rd WR. He hasn't done anything to suggest otherwise to me. And M-Rob might be at his best when catching 10 yard passes... but there will be a lot of those under the WCO.

We are fairly deep and balanced at WR this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | K. Robinson happy to be No. 1 wide receiver
    Mon, 10 Apr 2006 05:51:23 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson settled confidently into his new role as No. 1 wide receiver at the team's weekend minicamp. "I've been ready to do that since I came into the league," Robinson said. "I had my issues, but I feel like I'm now back to where I want to be in my life and just focusing on football." Coming off a season in which he made the Pro Bowl as a kickoff returner but caught just 22 passes, Robinson is looking forward to playing a feature role as lead receiver in the Vikings' new West Coast offense. "I'm loving it," he said. "It's the same offense I played in when I was in Seattle. I had a big year (in 2002) with 1,240 yards and 78 catches, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm the No. 1 guy right now, and I'm looking forward to a big year."

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

I think we will be solid if unspectacular

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast