Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings receivers need to get on the ball

Posted on Fri, Oct. 20

[size=13pt]Vikings receivers need to get on the ball[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Travis Taylor knows the numbers.

The Minnesota Vikings offense ranks ninth in the NFL in passing yardage, has routinely come up with big gains through the air and yet has still managed just four touchdowns in five games.

That's an awful lot of production and not much to show for it. Taylor thinks the receiver corps needs to pick it up and start making more plays in the new West Coast offense.

"We have a ways to go right now," Taylor said of his fellow receivers. "We're not where we want to be at this point in the season. But at the same time, we've made some big plays and left a lot of them out on the field to be made."

For new coach Brad Childress's offense to truly succeed, the Vikings receivers need to be more consistent and instill more fear in opposing defenses.

The group hasn't been able to do that since Randy Moss last roamed the Metrodome turf two years ago. Taylor, Troy Williamson and Marcus Robinson have all been solid pros, but they have yet to deliver performances that cause defensive coaches to game plan to stop them.

The Vikings do not have one receiver in the top 50 in the NFL in catches. Williamson and Taylor lead the team with 18 catches a piece - tied for 34th in the NFC.

Williamson's 256 receiving yards lead the team, but are good for just 48th in the NFL and 27th in the conference.

Those numbers should hardly make Seattle's secondary quake in their cleats as they prepare to host the Vikings on Sunday.

And Taylor said it has nothing to do with 38-year-old quarterback Brad Johnson.

"It's just catching the ball," Taylor said. "That's the bottom line. Go out and make a play on the ball. The only thing as receivers we ask Brad is to give us a chance. He's been doing that so it's up to us to come down with it."

The underwhelming performance of the receivers has had ripple effects across the offense. Childress has put an emphasis on running the ball since the opening week, pounding away with Chester Taylor all game long.

But with the receivers not drawing double or triple teams as Moss once did, defenses are able to load up against the run while only needing their cornerbacks and safeties to contain the passing game.

Chester Taylor is averaging just 3.8 yards a carry this season and needs some help to take some of the pressure off him.

The logical candidate is Williamson. Blessed with blazing speed and remarkable quickness, he has yet to parlay that combination into consistent production, but he says he's ready to start making an impact.

"We're real close. The more and more we work together, the more comfortable we get," Williamson said. "I feel like we're almost there."

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell agrees.

"He's done a great job for us of progressing as I always talk about," Bevell said. "We still can get more out of him. He's still a work in progress. He'll be the first one to tell you that. We still want to get him the ball, but we're doing it within the framework of the offense."

Sooner or later, to become a great offense, the unit has to stop taking what the defense gives it and start imposing its will on the opponent.

The sooner, the better.

There are 10 teams in the NFC with winning records, with the Vikings (3-2) and Seahawks (4-1) among them. And the Vikings are coming out of the bye with a tough game at Qwest Field followed by a Monday nighter at home against New England.

Less than one touchdown a game from the offense won't cut it in those games.

"We're doing some good things, but at the same time we've left a lot out there," Travis Taylor said. "If we can get those that are still out there, we'll probably be OK."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jon Krawczynski can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings receivers need to get on the ball

This article makes no sense to me.
    First he makes this statement:
    The Minnesota Vikings offense ranks ninth in the NFL in passing yardage, has routinely come up with big gains through the air and yet has still managed just four touchdowns in five games.
    Then he adds this:
    The Vikings do not have one receiver in the top 50 in the NFL in catches. Williamson and Taylor lead the team with 18 catches a piece - tied for 34th in the NFC.
    Then he adds:
    Sooner or later, to become a great offense, the unit has to stop taking what the defense gives it and start imposing its will on the opponent.
    OK, so the Vikes are 9th in the NFL in passing yardage but yet they are a lousy passing team because they don't instill fear in anyone. This offense is not designed to throw L-O-N-G passes except on rare occasions as the safetys cheat up trying to stop the dink and dunks. It's not the lack of long compleations that have bogged down the Vikes offense in my estimation, it's the number of penalties and the lack of a good running game which predicates everything in a West Coast offense.
    You run, you dink and dunk, then when that's working you can throw the long ball. And, when you are in the Red Zone there is no long ball to throw. How many times have we failed to score a TD qwhen we were in the Red Zone this year? Therein, lies the problem.

Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Taylor has 2 fumbles in the redzone, I don't think he's in a situation to be talking about his Receiver teamates need to step up. Hell the only one who hasn't dropped a pass or fumbled yet is McMullen (Knock on wood), and he's supposed to be our worst WR.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I talked about the need for another WR after we lost K-Rob, and what I thought would happen, has happened.Its not that we dont have talented WRs we just dont have that guy on 3rd down who will almost always make the catch/play.I think Williamson is coming along fine I dont like to expect to much out of him becuz hes so young.I think we need to see him get more plays tho, he has dangerous speed and can split defenses.I'm not a big fan of drafting WRs when in need of WR help, becuz not alot of WRs develope untill thier 3rd or 4th year.I'm still waiting for one of these guys to step up, hopefully its soon.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    I talked about the need for another WR after we lost K-Rob, and what I thought would happen, has happened.Its not that we dont have talented WRs we just dont have that guy on 3rd down who will almost always make the catch/play.I think Williamson is coming along fine I dont like to expect to much out of him becuz hes so young.I think we need to see him get more plays tho, he has dangerous speed and can split defenses.I'm not a big fan of drafting WRs when in need of WR help, becuz not alot of WRs develope untill thier 3rd or 4th year.I'm still waiting for one of these guys to step up, hopefully its soon.
    Yes we do, but apparrently B.C. doesn't like to throw the ball to dudes that sound like Michael Jackson.

[img width=400 height=532]http://www.hollandsentinel.com/images/112204/sportslionsvikings.jpg[/img]

-Sno

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would like to see us take more shots at the end zone from the 50 to the 20.
    Brad can certainly get the ball to the recievers at that distance and it would make them honor our [assing game as we move towards the red zone making it easier to get the ball to the TE and running backs.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Yea Wiggins has gone M.I.A. and I think its becuz Childress is running a more "traditional" TE set.Which features alot more blocking then catching.I'm fine with that, but I do think Wiggins is being underused.I'd like to see more play action to Wiggins, he has golden hands.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikes have have stopped going to Williamson as much and his number of catches the last for games are 6, 4, 2, 2.
    I hope this trend doesn't continue even tho T-Will has had some easy dropped passes I am hoping that they are not giving up on him and that they try and go to him more and not just on Fly patterns.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Posted on Sun, Oct. 22, 2006

[size=13pt]WILL HE CATCH ON?[/size]

In his second season, Troy Williamson still is learning the nuances of playing receiver in the NFL. But the Vikings remain confident that he will develop into a solid performer.

Through six weeks, Williamson is 48th in receiving yards (256), tied for 39th in passes intended for him (38) and is not even among the top 45 in receptions (18). But he does lead the NFL in one dubious category, dropped passes with six, according to STATS, Inc.
    That is eye opening statistics. I did not realize T-Will ranks 48 in receiving yards.

But if/when the drpped balls tapers off, Brad will feel more comfortable throwing to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast