Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' receivers banged up

Whoops...messed that post up. Reponse coming...

Cereal is offline Waterboy

Will it take a 100 yard game by williamson against the patriots for everybody to get off his dick? Why is everybody being so hard on him when really, this is his first time getting serious playing time in his career.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    I have been as patient with Williamson as anyone, but it's getting a little much now.
    You are not being patient if you are giving an NFL receiver 20 games before you get fed up with him. The FIRST post Del Rio had in the infamous
    Baskett vs. McMullen thread was:
    Make sure you maintain this for at least 3 years whack.
    I'm not trying to stick words into Del's mouth, but I'm guessing he said it because he knows as well as I do that it takes three years to fully judge a receivers impact, expecially a rookie.

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I could understand being patient if he wasn't getting open, or his routes were up to par, or if he wasn't adjusting to the NFL as quickly, but that's not the case. He's getting open, he's obviously doing well in the offense, he's just NOT CATCHING THE BALL.
    I've already said that I think he is dropping balls because of too much pressure, but what really boggles me is why you point out the bad while ignoring the good. IT IS AWESOME that our 2nd year wideout is getting open, that his routes are on par and that he is adjusting to the speed of the NFL. Look how much praise you give him before pointing out his drops. Take the good with the bad. Growing pains should be expected.

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I say let him "grow" from the bench.
    I know you don't mean that.Why would we bench our best receiver? I'll go halfway with you here. Put him in the slot. That would take pressure off him and enable him to beat safeties and LBs with his speed and route running. He wouldn't be in for a lot of snaps, but his productivity when he is in would go up.

Williamson is on pace to better than double his production from his rookie year, yet fans give him no respect for being our best receiver. The drops will fade and the TDs will come when we start using him correctly.
    I hope you're right that the drops will fade with time, and no, I don't think we should bench him, but with Marcus playing so well I don't think he should be our #1 receiver all the time. I agree, put him in the slot and let him play there.

I am being patient, but his production is not really up to par, IMO. If you look at the receivers picked in the top 10 in the last few years, the ones that ended up being "good" all had great 2nd seasons, while the ones that most people consider busts or average receivers never really produced in their second year, and 250 yards and no TDs doesn't scream production to me.

Look at good receivers from the top 10 in the draft over the past few years...Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Koren Robinson, and Plaxico Burress all had great 2nd years, they all had over 1000 yards and they all had between 65-100 catches, and with the exception of Robinson they are all still productive starters (and there's no doubt about Koren's talent).

The so-called "busts" David Terrell, Roy Williams and Travis Taylor all had mediocre second years and have never lived up to expectations. I really see Troy on his way to an "OK" year.

Now, I'm not saying that he's a bust just yet, and I'm certainly not giving up on him because there is still a lot of football to be played, but I don't think he's producing like the 7th pick in the draft should be producing in his second year. It just worries me, and I don't want one of his drops to cost us a game.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    The so-called "busts" David Terrell, Roy Williams and Travis Taylor all had mediocre second years and have never lived up to expectations. I really see Troy on his way to an "OK" year.
    Travis Taylor came from a run oriented Ravens team.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

[size=13pt]Robinson out with bruised back[/size]

Vikings receiver to miss at least one game

Posted on Tue, Oct. 24, 2006

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

KFFL
    Vikings | M. Robinson expected to miss Week 8 game
    Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:20:36 -0700

Judd Zulgad and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Marcus Robinson (back) will get a second opinion on his lower back injury and is expected to miss the Week 8 game, according to an NFL source. Robinson's injury will not require surgery, but he will see another doctor later this week.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    I know you don't mean that. Why would we bench our best receiver?
    Best receiver?
    I won't get into a pissing match about it, but what possible evidence could you produce to back up that claim?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Cereal" wrote:
    Will it take a 100 yard game by williamson against the patriots for everybody to get off his slick willy? Why is everybody being so hard on him when really, this is his first time getting serious playing time in his career.
    He's missing balls that I would catch.
    That's why.
    I don't expect him to be a superhero, but I do expect him to catch catchable balls at a higher rate than someone off the street.
    Sure, he will hopefully do fine, but the Vikings need him to step up.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Vikings | M. Robinson expected to miss Week 8 game
    Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:20:36 -0700

Judd Zulgad and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Marcus Robinson (back) will get a second opinion on his lower back injury and is expected to miss the Week 8 game, according to an NFL source. Robinson's injury will not require surgery, but he will see another doctor later this week.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast