Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' receivers banged up

It is just sad that people here give Williamson such a short leash. The bottomline, and I have said this all-season long, is that expectations for Williamson have always been too high, especially this season.

First of all, it is almost unheard of for a second year WR to be to go-to guy. Even Moss was still in a supporting role to Carter in his sophmore season. Throwing Twill in the #1 role is stupid and unneccesary. The drops happen because there is too much pressure on him. We need to let him settle in a #2 or slot role and let him develop slowly, like almost all receivers do. What we are doing is hurting his development in the long run.

Secondly, Twill led the team in receptions before leaving the game on Sunday, yet for some reason everyone is disappointed. For every drop he has he has also made a clutch play and/or made a first down catch. In another thread on this board posters voice that they are satisfied with McMullen's play, yet here we are "tired" of a WR who hasn't even played two full seasons yet. It puzzles me.

It is not as if Twill had a breakout rookie season. He progressed and got better as all rookies do. In his second-year we should him expect him to do the same. His talent will shine but we must be patient. LET WILLIAMSON GROW.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    It is just sad that people here give Williamson such a short leash. The bottomline, and I have said this all-season long, is that expectations for Williamson have always been too high, especially this season.

First of all, it is almost unheard of for a second year WR to be to go-to guy. Even Moss was still in a supporting role to Carter in his sophmore season. Throwing Twill in the #1 role is stupid and unneccesary. The drops happen because there is too much pressure on him. We need to let him settle in a #2 or slot role and let him develop slowly, like almost all receivers do. What we are doing is hurting his development in the long run.

Secondly, Twill led the team in receptions before leaving the game on Sunday, yet for some reason everyone is disappointed. For every drop he has he has also made a clutch play and/or made a first down catch. In another thread on this board posters voice that they are satisfied with McMullen's play, yet here we are "tired" of a WR who hasn't even played two full seasons yet. It puzzles me.

It is not as if Twill had a breakout rookie season. He progressed and got better as all rookies do. In his second-year we should him expect him to do the same. His talent will shine but we must be patient. LET WILLIAMSON GROW.
    There is a difference between being allowed to "grow" and being irresponsible with the football. I have been as patient with Williamson as anyone, but it's getting a little much now.

I could understand being patient if he wasn't getting open, or his routes were up to par, or if he wasn't adjusting to the NFL as quickly, but that's not the case. He's getting open, he's obviously doing well in the offense, he's just NOT CATCHING THE BALL. IMO, when you're a receiver that should be the first thing on your mind. Brad has hit him on the numbers on two or three big plays, that would have been hard catches, but they are catches that any NFL receiver is expected to make. It's not like they have been Carter-esque one handers or falling out of bounds or something like that, they have been balls where the pass is right on the money, all he has to do is reel it in with a defender or two around him. If he can't do that on a catchable ball, then he shouldn't be playing. I say let him "grow" from the bench.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"V-Unit" wrote:

Precisely, I love that post, V.
    When T-Will was drafted, almost every Vike fan KNEW that he was raw as a Tupac rap song.
    We also KNEW it would take possibly 2 full seasons for him to reach his potential.
    Now here we are, week 8 of his 2nd season and everyone is CONSTANTLY bitching about his play.
    Most of you understood the curve that he was going to go through, and with him being thrown into the #1 reciever position, his curve could very well take even longer.
    Get over it and watch as his talent blooms into something great.
    Stop tearing the poor kid apart when he is playing exceptionally well for a second year reciever.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Come on guys, for all of you worriers I'll say one name.
    Jake Reed.
    He developed into a pretty good receiver after a few years, even got to a pro bowl, but he couldn't catch a cold his first two years in the league.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I have been as patient with Williamson as anyone, but it's getting a little much now.
    You are not being patient if you are giving an NFL receiver 20 games before you get fed up with him. The FIRST post Del Rio had in the infamous
    Baskett vs. McMullen thread was:
    Make sure you maintain this for at least 3 years whack.
    I'm not trying to stick words into Del's mouth, but I'm guessing he said it because he knows as well as I do that it takes three years to fully judge a receivers impact, expecially a rookie.

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I could understand being patient if he wasn't getting open, or his routes were up to par, or if he wasn't adjusting to the NFL as quickly, but that's not the case. He's getting open, he's obviously doing well in the offense, he's just NOT CATCHING THE BALL.
    I've already said that I think he is dropping balls because of too much pressure, but what really boggles me is why you point out the bad while ignoring the good. IT IS AWESOME that our 2nd year wideout is getting open, that his routes are on par and that he is adjusting to the speed of the NFL. Look how much praise you give him before pointing out his drops. Take the good with the bad. Growing pains should be expected.

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I say let him "grow" from the bench.
    I know you don't mean that.Why would we bench our best receiver? I'll go halfway with you here. Put him in the slot. That would take pressure off him and enable him to beat safeties and LBs with his speed and route running. He wouldn't be in for a lot of snaps, but his productivity when he is in would go up.

Williamson is on pace to better than double his production from his rookie year, yet fans give him no respect for being our best receiver. The drops will fade and the TDs will come when we start using him correctly.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

No matter what anyone says, I'm still going to stick by my comments on the guy. He does need to step it up. Is it too much to ask him to catch the damn ball? He was a very high draft pick. From what I can tell, he has most of the technical aspects of the game down except catching the ball. During training camp his hands were a publicly discussed question mark by Childress and others. Not much has changed between then and now. He has dropped some very important passes this year. And on a side note, I believe the drop in the Seattle game slipped through his hands before he was knocked out. And just because he was the leading receiver on our team before Sunday, that doesn't mean much especially when one looks at our stagnant offensive production prior to Sunday.

#47 Troy Williamson 274 yds
    #48 Travis Taylor 268 yds
    #64 Marcus Robinson 200 yds
    #105 Billy McMullin 78 yds
    Those rankings aren't very impressive in my book.

But, believe me, I support them all and hope they all step it up. I'm not just critisizing Troy for the hell of it. I want to see him do better. A lot better. Travis Taylor needs less drops too. And as far as I'm concerned, we really need to use Marcus Robinson a more in the offense. He seems to be one who has shined out of the whole bunch. Stats come second to making big catches and Marcus has had a few big ones so far this year. We should also use Wiggins more because he has some hands. But, until Bethel Johnson learns the playbook and we can see if he has anything to contribute as a WR, we have who we have on the offensive side of the ball and I hope they all stay healthy throughout the season and we see less drops by all the WR's and an upgrade in the play all around. That's not too much to hope for, is it?
    Even babies know the difference.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Williamson will continue to improve, and I don't think anyone can say they have not seen ANY improvement. And I believe that he will cut down his drops as his career continues. Assuming we sign a WR as a first round pick, we could have a really solid team next year *knock on wood

"V-Unit" wrote:
    Posters might see the title and think "another Williamson flamer!" but that is not the case. Look at my sig! I am a big Williamson supporter and will always be (as long as he wears purple).

I am concerned about how he is being used. I don't think he should be used for returns at all. It increases risk for injury and puts more pressure on a second year talent who we should be taking time to develop. In fact the pressure to be the #1 receiver in this offense so quickly is also scary. It has been said multiple times that receivers often have bad stats during their first years in the league, so I think rcushing along Williamson is wrong. Things would have been perfect with KRob returning and being #1, but he is the enemy now. I think the offense should avoid treating Williamson as a #1 by spreading the ball around more, (that did not happen week 1, Williamson would have had 6 catches for over 100 yards if he had not had those drops) and taking him off returns completely.

The best way to develop this young talent is to give him time to grow and succeed in a new system. Let him take small steps until he is ready for big time instead of throwing him in the #1 role.
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    We are misusing him. We are throwing him to the dogs expecting him to be #1 as well as our kick returner. It is way too much pressure on a second year guy.

Receivers take time to develop. I think what we're doing is setting Troy up for failure, and that is hard to say considering he's my favorite player. I would be muc h happier if we distributed the ball to many different receivers instead of going to Troy all the time.

I tried to start a topic abput how we should be using TWill differently, but it got merged with this one which is really just about Troy's dropped passes. The fact is I expect Troy to drop a couple balls, because he is only in his second year. All of a sudden people are expecting the guy to be perfect and it is unfair to hold him to such a short leash. We should be complimenting our young reciever for having a good overall day and showing improvement, not questioning two drops when he has so little experience.

The solution to the dropped passes is to throw to the other receivers more to take pressure off the young man's shoulders. He is a good receiver with tons of potential, but it is too early in his development to put the weight of a pass oriented offense on his shoulders. Moreover, Williamson was the only WR with more than one catch, teams are going to see that and immediately try to shut him down. That means Brad will simply have to distribute the ball more, or Williamson will be frustated with double teams and bump-and-run coverages all season long.

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    "VikingFanEric" wrote:
    The problem isn't that they dont have a deep threat like Moss was here.
    The problem is when were getting open down the field they aren't catching the ball.
    Just my opinion.
    Exactly.
    The other teams may respect T. Williamson's speed, but if he repeatedly demonstrates "the dropsies," who is going to fear him?
    Troy was thrown to deep once all game in the second half. Marcus was thrown to deep twice on the last two drives. They also showed a clip where Marcus was wide open deep on the left side and Brad checked down to Kleinsasser without even looking Robinson's way.

My point is there is no sense or urgency to make big plays. Childress doesn't have it and BJ doesn't have it. If you are a receiver in our offense and your role is to "stretch the field" you aren't being used enough to make a difference. If we sprinkle two deep passes in per quarter and threw into the endzone when we were in the redzone, the whole offense would be more effective.

Also, I have said it before and I'll say it again, Williamson is being totally misused. Expecting him to be a breakout #1 all star receiver in his second year is a bit too much. Williamson is one of the top 2 wideouts from his draft, but we still need to give him time to develop. throwing him into the #1 role is absolutely ridiculous. Get him off kick returns too. Let the man pregoressively learn and he will be much better in the end.
    Just to prove I've been sticking by my comments for a while now. We finally took him off returns, but more can be done.

Obviously things have changed since I posted those but Williamson has still been having solid outings. I would like to think we are smart fans here, but this topic has made me believe that maybe we were spoiled by Moss, and maybe we honestly expect Williamson to be the next Moss. People who complain about Twill are basically upset that he is not perfect. Twill is thrown to twice as much Robinson, yet his big drops deserve him a spot on the bench while Robinson barely ever gets open, has a huge drop, and it is totally ignored while posters suggest he should start over Troy.

I said Twill would play better when we get him off returns. It is yet to be seen but it took Reusse more than a month to come up with the same idea:
    Williamson has better hands with more rest

PUT HIM IN THE SLOT. WATCH HIM GROW.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Mikecarter81" wrote:
    Come on guys, for all of you worriers I'll say one name.
    Jake Reed.
    He developed into a pretty good receiver after a few years, even got to a pro bowl, but he couldn't catch a cold his first two years in the league.

Mike
    I am not worried, just disappointed.

First, Jake found out that he had a vision problem and had to learn how to correct his receiving from there.
    Second, he had a pro-bowl WR taking a lot of heat off of him.

Troy, needs to step up period.
    He is not getting the job done.
    I know that even the 25 mil WR, TO, drops the ball sometimes but that doesn't let Troy off the hook for the many times he has had his hands on the ball and dropped it.
    It isn't that the defender has knocked it out, he has dropped the ball.

It is a disappointment to me.
    I am not saying he can't get better.
    I don't think he has improved like he should have at this stage.
    JMHO!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Yes, we might have high (Moss) expectations floating in our heads.
    Still, he needs to get closer to Steve Smith or even Chad Johnson before we should be fully satisfied.
    Granted he is showing more promise than Mike Williams.

I don't think that the fans should be booing Troy.
    I am more on the line that I am beginning to lose my faith that Troy is "the guy" for the Vikes.
    I would rather hear an article on Troy about how he catches 1000 balls after practice like Torry Holy than read an article about how he thinks his problems are from being tired.
    He might be our biggest threat, but the threat that he is showing right now is not good enough to continue the tradition of strong WRs in MN. Sammy, Ahmad, AC, CC, JR, and Moss, how does Troy compare?

I am resigned to say that I don't think that the solution will be found this season.
    I hope that he will improve and that we also find a #1 WR in the next couple of years.
    My glass is half empty on this one.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast