Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    As a HC, Turner was a bust. But as an OC, he's one of the best ever.
    I did a little checking on his numbers as OC. All rankings are points per game.

In 2013 with the Browns he finished 27th in the nfl.

In 2006 with the 49ers he finished 24th.

In 2003 with the Dolphins he finished 17th.
    In 2002 with the Dolphins he finished 12th.

In 2001 with the Chargers he finished 14th.

In 1993 with the Cowboys he finished 2nd
    In 1992 with the Cowboys he finished 2nd
    In 1991 with the Cowbosy he finished 7th

Outside of the early 90's with a Cowboys, he hasn't done much as offensive coordinator. He does bring a ton of experience though, and I think he could be a mentor of sorts to Zimmer.
    Last edited by jmcdon00; 01-15-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I did a little checking on his numbers as OC. All rankings are points per game.

In 2013 with the Browns he finished 27th in the nfl.

In 2006 with the 49ers he finished 24th.

In 2003 with the Dolphins he finished 17th.
    In 2002 with the Dolphins he finished 12th.

In 2001 with the Chargers he finished 14th.

In 1993 with the Cowboys he finished 2nd
    In 1992 with the Cowboys he finished 2nd
    In 1991 with the Cowbosy he finished 7th

Outside of the early 90's with a Cowboys, he hasn't done much as offensive coordinator. He does bring a ton of experience though, and I think he could be a mentor of sorts to Zimmer.
    It's important to look at the players those teams had, as well as how they were performing before his arrival.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I'm pretty freaking excited about this possibility! Too often new HCs don't have the balls to hire a former HC or even a coordinator with the potential to be a HC someday. And, you end up with an off balanced team that struggles mightily at whatever side of the ball the HC isn't an expert at.

This guy has success working with young QBs in Aikman and Rivers and HOF RBs like Ladainian Tomlinson and Emmit Smith. He also has the HC experience to help Zimmer out in difficult situations and key game-time decisions. This isn't a who-dat, moving your buddy in with you (who has no chance of taking your job) type of move, but instead, quite possibly creates a strength opposite Zimmer's improving D that gives us balance and thus improves the other side too.

Hmmm, whats the chances we keep Priefer??? That might be a pretty solid 1-2-3!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

iowa is offline Rookie
    this is looking good. i love the zimmer hire, if norv comes on board and we land our franchise qb, we could improve pretty quickly. the rick is gettin' it done.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I wouldn't worry about Norv. Let me give you some history of what happened to that San Deigo team. LT left the team. Vincent Jackson left the team, Multiple talented OL retired or walked in FA. The GM ruined that team and Norv took the blame. Hard to win with no running game and disgruntle or injured WRs/TE.
    I agree to an extent.

on one hand, you're absolutely correct that he had a tough position. He had a very skilled team that was completely gutted. Lost LT, lost Sproles, lost VJ, other players either left, got injured or have aged to the point they weren't as effective (Gates). Despite that, his team was competitive, and COULD be a contender in any game.

However, too often there were games like last year vs. the Broncos, where they start out hot, get up big and choke in the second half and lose in primetime. I've paid a fair bit attention to the Chargers, they have a somewhat soft spot for me, and would be the AFC team I'd cheer for. He is definitely responsible for some of the issues that team faced. He was not the biggest problem though. The Chargers needed a change of scenery, and I don't disagree with his firing, but he did some great things for them. The offense was consistently one of the best, but they were inconsistent at the same time.
    Last edited by i_bleed_purple; 01-15-2014 at 06:16 PM.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    If Turner gets offered the job, he will accept. Any of the 3 candidates for OC that have been mentioned would be good in their own way. Turner, Linehan, and Kubiak. All 3 are previous head coaches, and all 3 have good qualities in running a offense. I hope he brings in a big name DC, even though he will be calling a lot of the plays.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...99595252973568

The Browns had more pass attempts than any other team in 2013.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Yeah, it's all over the internet now. Says to look for Turner to be introduced with Zimmer at Zim's press conference tomorrow morning.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I'm pretty freaking excited about this possibility! Too often new HCs don't have the balls to hire a former HC or even a coordinator with the potential to be a HC someday. And, you end up with an off balanced team that struggles mightily at whatever side of the ball the HC isn't an expert at.

This guy has success working with young QBs in Aikman and Rivers and HOF RBs like Ladainian Tomlinson and Emmit Smith. He also has the HC experience to help Zimmer out in difficult situations and key game-time decisions. This isn't a who-dat, moving your buddy in with you (who has no chance of taking your job) type of move, but instead, quite possibly creates a strength opposite Zimmer's improving D that gives us balance and thus improves the other side too.
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    ^^^ This.

One glaring weakness common in our coaching staff since I can remember has been the quality of our Coordinator and Coaches. Zimmer has the balls to surround himself with confident, competent coaches it seems.

I like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast