singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings reach deal on new baseball/football stadium

Vikings reach deal on baseball dimensions at new stadium

Vikings reach deal on baseball dimensions at new stadium | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Baseball coaches, led by University of Minnesota coach John Anderson, whose team played 37 games at the Dome last year, said that was unacceptable, and lobbied for a foul line no shorter than 305 feet and a power alley of 340 feet
    “Three hundred feet is not the greatest distance in the world for a foul line,” said Tink Larson, a longtime amateur baseball coach in Waseca who has been close to the issue. “But it’s livable and it’s certainly better than what the Vikings were proposing. At least it’s now a legitimate baseball field.”
    Are we building a Baseball stadium here or a Football stadium? How much money are these teams/schools contributing to the cost of building this stadium that they seek to reap benefits from?

A football field is a lot different shape than a baseball field & it sounds more & more like all we are doing is rebuilding the Metrodome with a permanent roof & maybe, if there's room, a wider concourse.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Are we building a Baseball stadium here or a Football stadium? How much money are these teams/schools contributing to the cost of building this stadium that they seek to reap benefits from?

A football field is a lot different shape than a baseball field & it sounds more & more like all we are doing is rebuilding the Metrodome with a permanent roof & maybe, if there's room, a wider concourse.
    I agree that it is stupid to put a baseball diamond in a football stadium. I don't think we are in any danger of rebuilding the metrodome though. I an looking forward to seeing the designs when they are released next month.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    (null)
    We are building a People's Stadium. Just sign the bill and get it done! Who cares what it looks like!

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but why don't they play at Target Field, one of the best baseball stadiums in the country?

LIVike is offline Starter
    They cant play there in February and March so the gophers play their early season games at the dome now or go south. I understand that this is a "peoples stadium". What I dont understand is how does the University of Minnesota have a say in this? Are they putting money towards the stadium if not they should have no say seeing as they just got their new Siebert Field and all.
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVike View Post
    They cant play there in February and March so the gophers play their early season games at the dome now or go south. I understand that this is a "peoples stadium". What I dont understand is how does the University of Minnesota have a say in this? Are they putting money towards the stadium if not they should have no say seeing as they just got their new Siebert Field and all.
    Because the Government is involved and it is one of the unintended consequences that you end up dealing with when you have palms to grease in order to get the votes to pass. I would guess if you poked around enough it would lead back to one or more politicians that wanted it in order to vote for it.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    They should just play outside. The weather will give them an advantage. Isn't that what everyone says about an open air stadium for the Vikes? And most of those that support open air play are mostly young people so the high schools and college kids should be supporting that.

WWBGD