Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Worst argument ever!!!!!!
    You said we did fine without him meaning it's ok that he is gone.
    I pointed out that it took RECORD BREAKING effort to do so. Something we should not pin our season on happening again!!!!!! It's simple we dont have to be 98 all over... but we could be the Pack, or 49ers, Giants, Saints, and Falcons as teams that have great run and pass games and can choose how to beat you. This way when we run into a great passing D...we can pound the ball... and when we face a great run defense we can pass on them....
    Lighten up Francis.

What are you even talking about? The Packers, Saints etc. ARE the 98 Vikings man. Come on, are you seriously saying that adding Jennings is going to make us the Packers when we have Ponder at QB? We are not going to be a passing team as long as we have Peterson and Ponder. We made Peterson the highest paid RB in history and are building the team around him whether it makes you happy or not.

AF_Viking Guest

Vikings re-sign Phil Loadholt to multi-year deal

They just released his pay numbers and are paying him as a top 5 RT. What a crock of bullshit!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    +1

Just because we got 3 quality starters in last years draft doesn't mean that we will be able to do that every year. You are lucky to get ONE first year starter in the draft. We need at least 2 receivers. At least one guard. At least two linebackers. Re-signing 2 role players and losing 2 stars is not a good grade in my book. How could that be good in anyone's book? We made the playoffs last year.

+1

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Lighten up Francis.

What are you even talking about? The Packers, Saints etc. ARE the 98 Vikings man. Come on, are you seriously saying that adding Jennings is going to make us the Packers when we have Ponder at QB? We are not going to be a passing team as long as we have Peterson and Ponder. We made Peterson the highest paid RB in history and are building the team around him whether it makes you happy or not.
    No I am saying we need balance. Why settle for being good at only one thing. The goal should be to field an offense...not half and offense but an offense. What I find even crazier is that we can field a passing game. It should not take us 7 years to draft and hold on to 2 WRs worth a grain of salt. I'm not saying we have to have the most prolific passing attack ever...however...being 31st in passing shows we are terrible at it. We can field a damn good passing unit out of this draft with a chance to draft Hunter and Woods and still have another 1st , 3rd, 2 4ths, 5, 6 and 3 7ths to fill other positions. An addition like Jennings or even Alexander would make this a decent/ damn good unit. 1 that would make ADs job easier and the olines and make ponder look better. Hell then we might be able to be made that we only made the playoffs instead of dancing the jig when we do.

Teams like the Falcons already had 1 WR and gave up a lot to get a 2nd....even though they had a power running game. The recongzied that balance and being able to attack on multiple fronts give you an advantage.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    No I am saying we need balance. Why settle for being good at only one thing. The goal should be to field an offense...not half and offense but an offense. What I find even crazier is that we can field a passing game. It should not take us 7 years to draft and hold on to 2 WRs worth a grain of salt. I'm not saying we have to have the most prolific passing attack ever...however...being 31st in passing shows we are terrible at it. We can field a damn good passing unit out of this draft with a chance to draft Hunter and Woods and still have another 1st , 3rd, 2 4ths, 5, 6 and 3 7ths to fill other positions. An addition like Jennings or even Alexander would make this a decent/ damn good unit. 1 that would make ADs job easier and the olines and make ponder look better. Hell then we might be able to be made that we only made the playoffs instead of dancing the jig when we do.

Teams like the Falcons already had 1 WR and gave up a lot to get a 2nd....even though they had a power running game. The recongzied that balance and being able to attack on multiple fronts give you an advantage.

I am certainly not saying we don't need balance. In fact I know we do. But there are several ways to get that balance. We DO have a damn good TE and d run 2 TE sets and we do run a FB in the backfield and when and since we do that we don't have the need for a stable of WR's that some teams do. Similarly the Pats do not have a huge stable of WR's but the do pass more and I would guess is Ponder played better we would see more passes, better passes and the WR;s suddenly looking better just like things looked when Brett was here.

I am not saying that we don't need WR's at all, I just think with 2 first round picks that we can get a guy just as talented as Jennings with one of those picks and not spend the money.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    We won more games without Harvin than with him. He was a great talent but an ass to deal with for the coaches. Winny was old and tired, couldn't stay healthy and he needed to be culled from the herd.
    No we didn't. We were 5-3 when Harvin played & 5-4 when he didn't. 1 of those 3 loses came in the game he was injured early in.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I am certainly not saying we don't need balance. In fact I know we do. But there are several ways to get that balance. We DO have a damn good TE and d run 2 TE sets and we do run a FB in the backfield and when and since we do that we don't have the need for a stable of WR's that some teams do. Similarly the Pats do not have a huge stable of WR's but the do pass more and I would guess is Ponder played better we would see more passes, better passes and the WR;s suddenly looking better just like things looked when Brett was here.

I am not saying that we don't need WR's at all, I just think with 2 first round picks that we can get a guy just as talented as Jennings with one of those picks and not spend the money.
    1. There are teams out there with a Good TE and Wr core i.e. Falcons, Saints, 49ers, Cowboys.
    I am simply asking that we do both. Its been a decade since we have fielded a decent passing attack (minus 09)

2. Jennings is hella talented. Don't like him as a WR but when he is healthy, he is their best WR. Hands down. They get along without him but make no mistake..he is/was the big dog in their pound. They willing to let him go is strictly the business of the game. They can get along without paying big money because they draft, multiple WRs ever draft.

3. I say, we duplicate what other teams are doing to get deep into the post season. Draft an offense to go with your defense. Stop using the excuse that we have a run game as a reason our team can't seem to get the WR position right.

4. We need more than 1 WR. We need about 3 of them. I would love to stockpile this team with WRs in the 3rd or 4th round picks. The packers got where they were because they drafted multiple wrs in draft. The ones that worked...they kept and got ride of the rest. We need to add some firepower and then fix the QB position.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Over the Cap- Top NFL Contracts: Right Tackle

Here's a current list of right tackle contracts. Loadholt is #4 on the list. Other than looking at just the average per year of his overall contract, a couple key things to note:

1) He was the most recent to sign, as this contract ages, he will no doubt fall down the list of top paid right tackles.
    2) He has one of the lower guaranteed portions of the contract ($7M or 28%).
    3) He has an escalating cap hit structure. Basically $4.7M/$5.7M/$6.7M/$7.7M
    4) Dead money (cap hit if you cut him) goes down significantly over the contract: $7M/$5.25/$3.5M/$1.75M --- this is all tied to his signing bonus, nothing else is guaranteed
    5) #9 on the list is averaging $5M per year
    6) Phil was rated the #7 RT in the league according to PFF. This was his best year according to them.
    7) The #9 guy (Clabo with Atlanta) on the average per year contract list, has a cap hit of $6M/yr over the next 3 years. Loadholt's cap hit will be closer to $5.7M

When you factor all that in, including his time with MN and his familiarity with his job responsibilities, he wasn't overpaid a huge amount. His cap hit for 2013 is $4.7M which puts him down on the list closer to what his market value appears to be.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

Here's a current list of right tackle contracts. Loadholt is #4 on the list. Other than looking at just the average per year of his overall contract, a couple key things to note:

1) He was the most recent to sign, as this contract ages, he will no doubt fall down the list of top paid right tackles.
    4) Dead money (cap hit if you cut him) goes down significantly over the contract: $7M/$5.25/$3.5M/$1.75M --- this is all tied to his signing bonus, nothing else is guaranteed
    6) Phil was rated the #7 RT in the league according to PFF. This was his best year according to them.
    7) The #9 guy (Clabo with Atlanta) on the average per year contract list, has a cap hit of $6M/yr over the next 3 years. Loadholt's cap hit will be closer to $5.7M

When you factor all that in, including his time with MN and his familiarity with his job responsibilities, he wasn't overpaid a huge amount. His cap hit for 2013 is $4.7M which puts him down on the list closer to what his market value appears to be.
    Great post. Just to supplement from PFF: He was the #7 overall RT, but the #4 run blocker of all tackles in the league.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

If you are going to pay that kind of money why not get Vollmer. He is the best FA tackle out there.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast