Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vikings RBs

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings RBs

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    i know what you mean, but we can't keep putting this late round RBs in there and expect to be really good running the ball. i think the last time we had a running back that got over a 1000 yards was Michael Bennet and that was like 3 years ago or something. so would you seek a back like Alexander or James who are looking for long term contracts? i mean we could do that, but if we were going to do that we should have done that this season.
    I would actually wait and see how our current crop works out. Onterrio Smith probably would have emerged as a 1000 yd rusher if he hadn't run into his, er... problems.

The reason we haven't had a 1000 yd rusher is because that last few years Tice has been very indesisive at choosing a #1 back. For the first 4 weeks last year, Onterrio Smith started and did pretty well. Then Bennett came back and started a few games and sucked it up. Then Moore played for 3 games and had the 3 best games in Vikings history. Then Bennett sucked up for a few more games, then Smith finished out the year. Catch my drift? :lol: Even though we haven't had a 1000 yd rusher, we have been pretty close to the top of the league in rushing.

I think Moore showed he at least has the potential to be a good back, Bennett had a 1200 yd season so he can do well, and I like Fason too.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

yah Moore did awesome last year. i'm really concerned though because none of the RBs seperated themselves this preseason. Moore had the best game but that was against the crappy D of the chiefs, and i think he got most of it on one real long run. bennett has really been doing nothing and i'd hate to start a rookie at RB, not cuz i don't believe in his talent but because i doubt he understands all the blitz pick ups that are essential for RBs. so would you say that our lack of success is because our coaches haven't been focusing on the running game, they've been focusing more on the passing game since moss is gone? also if none of our running backs prove to be a stud #1 would you want a Edgerrin James or Shaun Alexander? like you said, hopefully, we won't have a really low draft pick in a long time, because that'd mean we sucked it up one season or traded one of marque players (i.e Pep, Burleson, Williams etc)

Thanks Josdin

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

moore can do it
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

i believe moore has the tools, i just have a hard time seeing him make his own holes all by himself all season. he lead the league in yards after intial contact, but it seemed like he was a slow healer. either that or he was in Tice's doghouse after that lame effort on that screen in one of the games last season, can't remeber which one.

Thanks Josdin

NodakAttack is offline Training Camp

I completely agree with a lot of you that we need to be better balanced with our offensive strategy. I think Bennett is marginal at best, we all know he can occassionally break the long one, but isn't very good at hitting a hole consistently. IMO Moore should be our first option... but what i really find interesting is that we actually had decent YPC averages last year...

Rushing
    Name G Rush Yds Y/G Avg Lng TD Fum FumL
    Onterrio Smith 11 124 544 49.5 4.4 38 2 2 1
    Daunte Culpepper 16 88 406 25.4 4.6 16 2 9 4
    Mewelde Moore 10 65 379 37.9 5.8 33 0 0 0
    Michael Bennett 11 70 276 25.1 3.9 25 1 1 0

Bennett was low at 3.9 but both Moore (5.8) and Smith (4.4) were very respectable... Culpepper really doesn't count. The interesting part is that we did this without Rosie and Jimmy K... the question really becomes, was Dixon really the glue??? Birk was never at 100% and even Withrow played some... I'm cheering for Marcus to be the new key with his agile feet and potential ability to be good at pulling... The other REALLY BIG issue is that we ranked 18th in Rushing Offense last year, but I don't think it was because of YPC, it was lack of attempts... This further seems to support many of your thoughts that we a) need more rhythm for our backs through repetition and more carries and b) we need to change it up... Don't just run on 1st... btw It did seem in preseason that we got a few more 2nd down rushes... I think patience and gelling are the big keys for the line... another thought, is look at the Pats (not last year b/c they had dillon) but the previous 3, especially the Super Bowl years, and they did decent rushing with not the best backs... and I believe a big part of that was because of their spread offense and unpredictable playcalling.. I'll go on the record in not supporting the KROB deal, but with or without him, a 3 or 4 wide offense should keep opposing secondaries a little more honest...

sorry for the rambling... but a few thoughts I thought I'd share
    Ahh PURPLE is the color of all my Dreams!! GO VIKES!! Bring us a Lombardi!!

"NodakAttack" wrote:
    I completely agree with a lot of you that we need to be better balanced with our offensive strategy. I think Bennett is marginal at best, we all know he can occassionally break the long one, but isn't very good at hitting a hole consistently. IMO Moore should be our first option... but what i really find interesting is that we actually had decent YPC averages last year...

Rushing
    Name G Rush Yds Y/G Avg Lng TD Fum FumL
    Onterrio Smith 11 124 544 49.5 4.4 38 2 2 1
    Daunte Culpepper 16 88 406 25.4 4.6 16 2 9 4
    Mewelde Moore 10 65 379 37.9 5.8 33 0 0 0
    Michael Bennett 11 70 276 25.1 3.9 25 1 1 0

Bennett was low at 3.9 but both Moore (5.8) and Smith (4.4) were very respectable... Culpepper really doesn't count. The interesting part is that we did this without Rosie and Jimmy K... the question really becomes, was Dixon really the glue??? Birk was never at 100% and even Withrow played some... I'm cheering for Marcus to be the new key with his agile feet and potential ability to be good at pulling... The other REALLY BIG issue is that we ranked 18th in Rushing Offense last year, but I don't think it was because of YPC, it was lack of attempts... This further seems to support many of your thoughts that we a) need more rhythm for our backs through repetition and more carries and b) we need to change it up... Don't just run on 1st... btw It did seem in preseason that we got a few more 2nd down rushes... I think patience and gelling are the big keys for the line... another thought, is look at the Pats (not last year b/c they had dillon) but the previous 3, especially the Super Bowl years, and they did decent rushing with not the best backs... and I believe a big part of that was because of their spread offense and unpredictable playcalling.. I'll go on the record in not supporting the KROB deal, but with or without him, a 3 or 4 wide offense should keep opposing secondaries a little more honest...

sorry for the rambling... but a few thoughts I thought I'd share
    thanks for sharing all your thoughts. i really do believe the lack of experience at RT is going to torture us all season, i hope MJ starts running over people on a more consistent basis, i really do. i just hope we do start focusing on our run a little more, yah we have great wide outs. even if, i like you nodakattack, disagree with the K-Rob signing. we still do need to be more balanced on O so the D can't just pin their ears back and rush after the QB.

Thanks Josdin

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I think that a lot of people are being really paranoid about our running game because I'm not going to use the preseason to judge it if we did a lot of starting RB would be out of jobs from it.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

two words: Bennett Blows.

Otherwise, we got a runningback with huge potential in Moore, and a great goal line back in Moe Williams.
    Have you ever had a Big Kahuna Burger?

i think we should Moore as a starter and have Bennett be the Spell back. Moe Williams can clean up the 3rd and shorts and definately goal line. i've only seen him get stuffed a couple of times. Fason should be the change of pace back, i guess Bennett and Fason could become interchangeable depending on the situation. i hope these guys get it done, i want to be able to own the time of possession so our defense doesn't get tired.

Thanks Josdin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234