Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vikings RBs

Prophet Guest

Vikings RBs

There has been quite a bit of disussion regarding picking up K. Robinson in the receiving corps. I think we agree that we have a reasonable amount of depth in the WR position.

I'm more concerned about the RB situation. We have an apparently injury-prone #1 and #2 followed by old Mr. Reliable Moe with Fason waiting in the wings, Echemandu waiting for technological advances so we can fit his name on his jersey, and the Whizzinator hanging low in the shadows. In summary:

1. M. Bennett: the glass man
    2. M. Moore: the tempered glass man
    3. M. Williams: Grandpa
    4. C. Fason: Man of the future
    Out: O. Smith: Whizzinator
    Practice Squad: A. Echemandu: Practice Man

The chorus is split on whether Bennett or Moore should start, but Bennett gets the nod from Meathead. Hopefully Bennett and/or Moore will stay healthy. I don't think it will be too far fetched to see Fason as #1 with Moe helping carry the load and Echemandu brought back into the mix if Moore and Bennett are both out with injuries.

The RB corps makes me nervous. It sure would be nice to have Onterrio in the mix.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings RBs

I think its too early to call Moore injury prone. He had one injury in his rookie year. The thing from this preseason was nothing, it was just precautionary, and he would've played if it had been regular season.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

I'm not sold on the idea that we need a new RB. What we need is a new idea, or a new game plan.

I think the run game is neglected. Offensive lineman love to run block, they love to bring the pain. On one level I think Tice and Co. were so paranoid that the loss of Moss would cripple what they had going for them that they decided to neglect the run game and try to salvage what offense they did have.

On the other hand, I pray it is just a ploy. A lot of good defensive teams have a great run game or a more solid run game then passing game. There is a reason for it. I think it will be a miracle if you can have the high flying finesse offense and a dominant physical defense.

I am of the opinion the lack of run game not only hurts our chances of making a deep playoff run, but it also hurts our defense.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

This has to be the funniest poll I have ever seen. I say sacrifice Mike Tice on the Metrodome floor and get Brian Bilichick to coach the vikes.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm not sold on the idea that we need a new RB. What we need is a new idea, or a new game plan.

I think the run game is neglected. Offensive lineman love to run block, they love to bring the pain. On one level I think Tice and Co. were so paranoid that the loss of Moss would cripple what they had going for them that they decided to neglect the run game and try to salvage what offense they did have.

On the other hand, I pray it is just a ploy. A lot of good defensive teams have a great run game or a more solid run game then passing game. There is a reason for it. I think it will be a miracle if you can have the high flying finesse offense and a dominant physical defense.

I am of the opinion the lack of run game not only hurts our chances of making a deep playoff run, but it also hurts our defense.
    IMO it hasn't been neglected (if you're reffering to the preseason games). I think they ran the ball just about as much as they could. Throughout all 4 games, we struggled with running the ball. When your #1 and #2 backs are both averaging about 3 yds per carry (and when Fason starting against the Hawks he avergaed pretty crappy too) its hard to keep establishing your run because you're constantly in 2nd and longs and 3rd and longs.

I think when the line gets used to each other, the run game will be much more effective.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

Neglected in practice. Neglected in film. Neglected in the playbook. Having a counter, a draw, a dive, and a sweep, and a very poorly executed reverse is not enough imo.

They run the ball far less then other teams in the reg season. Pre Season is different. After the first half they don't want the clock stopping, heck all game they want that bad boy rolling to get it over with.

Look at it this way. We start a game out great we put a lot of points on the board. Then we attempt to control the clock through the run and boom it's 3rd and 8. I think the offense is so unbalanced that the run has been neglected.

If a team passes all game the defense doesn't need to worry about the run they need to worry about the pass. That means they are doing a combination of stunts, blitzes, and even shifts to get pressure. Which means our O-line have to account for more packages of defense and looks then most other teams.

I think they spend more time on that and miss out on some serious run practice. It must come from fear, that the one thing we do very well will diminish to the point of being ineffective. IMO if they did have a good run game Culpepper would be breaking records.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I think that we are fine as of now. We have basically 4 backs that can start (dount count our Moe) and all we have to do is pray for no injury. I think picking up Clarett will be even more stupid than picking up Koren when you are looking at it from the side of troubled players. As of now IMO our backs will be fine. All we need to do is when we have found our REAL starter by around week 2 or 3 then we can stick with that person the entire season.

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

I think the Vikings will be fine this year, if we don't give up the gameplan to run. It is too early to say Moore is injury prone. I can't wait for Sunday to see what will happen with the running game.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I agree that the bigger problem right now (preseason) is not with the guy running the ball but with the guys supposedly opening up lanes. If this doesn't improve, the vikes will continue to be a pass dominated team. Their idea of a running game will be screen dumps, 1 yd passes to the wideout and TE's blocking and releasing for catch and rumbles.

The Vikes will have a tough challenge going deep in the playoffs with this scheme. Even with a much improved defense, they lose control of the game if they can't run.

If DelRio is right in that the reason the Vikes have no running game at this point is because they are not committed to a running game then I see a lot of nervous games ahead for us.

[quote]IMO it hasn't been neglected (if you're reffering to the preseason games). I think they ran the ball just about as much as they could. Throughout all 4 games, we struggled with running the ball. When your #1 and #2 backs are both averaging about 3 yds per carry (and when Fason starting against the Hawks he avergaed pretty crappy too) its hard to keep establishing your run because you're constantly in 2nd and longs and 3rd and longs.
    quote]

I think thats the point, the Vikes depend on the passing game to move the chains. With the current mentaility it seems that if they get decent yardage running the ball, thats a bonus, makes it easier for Daunte throwing the ball on 3rd and 2 vs 3rd and long, but they will throw on 3rd down regardless unless its a Daunte sneak. This shows me they have no dependency/confidence on the running game. Also, if Tice really wanted a running game he would go after a marquee every down back, instead he's focused on making sure he has a quality 6th receiver when his top 2 running backs have shown very limited durability. Okay, thats a different thread.

Del Rio Guest

We all have way more questions then we have answers. Luckily for us we are about to see the results of our teams labors and we can all make our own conclusions.

We have more questions then just the all to common can they do it without Moss. Because we all know our team better then the guys trying to sell magazines. They are focused on making the dollar and not neccisarily giving you the information you need/want.

I just want you all to know every opinion is valued. We all look at our team very critically and I appreciate all the different ideas, because more often then not someone will say something that really strikes me as a good idea and I will steal it and incorporate it into my own grand idea of things which is more then likely as far from the truth as T.O is from humble as an idea can get.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast