Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Vikings RB Status---UNKNOWN.

Ok, I'm sick of everyone ripping on our RBs. The play calling has been horrible. Bennett, Moore, Williams, nor Fason have even been given a chance to show their stuff. There is no way you can compare our RB production without standardizing the comparison by looking at the number of rushing attempts given to our RBs versus some other RBs in the leauge.

The following is a break down of a few other RBs and what would have happened if they were given the same number of attempts as our RBs. The number in paranthesis is what they ended up getting based on their total production in the game.

Week 1

M. Bennett rushed 6 times for -1 yds (-1 yards total)
    C. Williams’ first 6 rushes were for a total of 13 yards (148 total)
    J. Jones’ first 6 rushes were for a total of 38 yards (93 yards total)
    L. Tomlinson’s first 6 rushes were for a total of 28 yards and a TD (72 yards total)
    W. Parker’s first 6 rushes were for a total of 13 yards (161 yards total)

Week 2
    M. Bennett rushed 3 times for a total of 36 yards (36 yards total)
    R. Johnson’s first 3 rushes were for a total of 3 yards (90 yards total)
    E. James’ first 3 rushes were for a total of 12 yards (128 yards total)
    T. Jones’ first 3 rushes were for a total of 23 yards (139 yards total)
    W. Parker’s first 3 rushes were for a total of 24 yards (111 yards total)

The other RBs had good games, but if they were given the same number of attempts as Bennett, in this example, they would have had pathetic games too.

How can anyone say someone is washed up or not performing when they haven't even been given the chance to perform? It is beyond my understanding how conclusions can be drawn regarding our RBs when we haven't even tried to have a running game yet.

I'm not saying we are set at the RB position, just that the RBs have to at least be given a comparable chance to perform before we write them off.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings RB Status---UNKNOWN.

Looks like a trade maybe in the works

Bennet To AZ

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5628485.html

What would we get out of the deal though?

Del Rio Guest

"Bennett said he cleared his head during a fishing expedition earlier this week."

Good enough for me, resign this guy. :lol: Also if he runs for 100+ this week it isn't an example of his skill, it just shows the power of fishing.

Prophet Guest

"smootpepper" wrote:
    Looks like a trade maybe in the works

Bennet To AZ

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5628485.html

What would we get out of the deal though?
    Wow, I doubt they will be giving up JJ Arrington. Maybe Shipp for Bennett? Hmmm.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

They signed Eric Coleman to the practice squad, that is good news.

I do not think they would trade Bennett unless they trade for Ricky Williams or a running back from AZ. They are short on running backs and can not just trade one with out acquiring someone else.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I found this on another board, It's kinda interesting.

Quoted from some dude:
    I don't want to sound like any of the negative idiots we have in here that are totally giving up on our season.
    However, anyone can just go back and look at our win/loss record with Bennett and without Bennett and see that until Tice gets over his man crush on Bennett this running game is going nowhere. It's doubly worse with Culpepper in his funk right now desperately needing a solid running game to help him. What does the coach do? He keeps his best RBs on the bench and leaves Daunte out there to struggle on his own. I don't see this team winning Tice sits Bennett.

Although you can't blame every loss on the running back...the effectiveness, or lack of a running game does have a profound effect on the ability of a team to win.
    Here's the facts...like it or not....

Since Bennett started in 2001....The Vikings record with him as the main ball carrier is 14-30. That's right out of the 44 games that Bennett has been the main ball carier, we have only won 14 of them.

Over that same time span, the Vikings are 14-8 in the games where someone other than Bennett was the main ball carrier.

Just FYI...here is the W/L record for games in which the other RBs were the main ball carriers.

Moe Williams: 7-2 in games where he was the feature back.

Mewelde Moore: 3-0 in games where he was the feature back.

Onterrio Smith: 4-5 in games where he was the feature back.

For the record I only counted games where that RB was the main back, regardless of who the official "starter" was. So, week 1 of this year, I counted as a loss for Bennett even though Moe took the first snap. The KC game of 2003 Bennett technically started, but Onterrio Smith was the feature back for most of that game. The Dallas game last year, Moe Williams was technically the starter, but Onterrio Smith was the main ball carrier, etc...

So let's put these records as a feature back side by side and see which running back seems to have the better track record:

Bennett 14-30 32%
    Williams 7-2 78%
    Moore 3-0 100%
    Smith 4-5 44%

I say let Denny have him........Shipp or Boldin, hmmmm :wink:

Prophet Guest

"hic-agvike77" wrote:
    I found this on another board, It's kinda interesting....
    Yes, interesting. The point of my original post is not to glorify Bennett. Just showing the lack of touches he got compared to other feature backs in the league. None of the 'heros' of the 2005 RB corps would have numbers if they received 3-6 touches per game.

There is no chance we get Boldin without some serious wheeling and dealing. I could see a straight-up trade for Shipp at this point. The Vikings would get a down-hill runner and Denny gets his man back in AZ. Could be an ok situation. Shipp may also be an injury prone RB though.

"Prophet" wrote:
    Yes, interesting. The point of my original post is not to glorify Bennett. Just showing the lack of touches he got compared to other feature backs in the league. None of the 'heros' of the 2005 RB corps would have numbers if they received 3-6 touches per game.
    Sorry, I got the piont(should have put that in there) and I agree with you 100%.

The problem is that it's not going to change until the coaches realize you can't completly abandon the running game the second you're down by any margin wether its in the first quarter or the fourth.

Hooversham is offline Starter

They should have traded him to Arizona in the offseason, before he had a chance to step on the field and lower his stock value. I don't care WHO we get, as long as we get someone. Shipp would be well worth it IMHO.
    I can bench press my own body weight. And I weight 2,000 pounds.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

interesting yes, but it is an incomplete analysis. Was Bennet the only variable in those 44 games? Obviously not. Someone -- not me -- can do a multivariate regression or some other statistical magic to analyze the team's performance in those games. It's quite possible that Bennet is a major culprit, but we dont really know for sure when using such partial modes of comparison. Ultimately though, I think we'll find a causal relationship between fishing and game performance.

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast