Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings QBs know job status isn't set

Posted on Sat, Apr. 08, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings QBs know job status isn't set[/size]

Johnson, McMahon control what they can

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Quarterbacks Brad Johnson and Mike McMahon have been around the NFL long enough to know job security can be fleeting.

Johnson has experienced highs and lows throughout his 14-year career, and McMahon endured turbulence after his rookie season with the Detroit Lions in 2001.

"They told me I was going to be the starter and they weren't going to draft a guy," McMahon said Friday as the Vikings opened a three-day mincamp at Winter Park. "They said the (speculation) about Joey Harrington was a smokescreen. They said, 'You should go to this draft party. It would be really good for us.' I was at the draft party, and they drafted Joey Harrington (with the third overall pick). I don't think it could get much worse than that.

"The NFL is a business, and I learned that real quick. You're always looking over your shoulder."

After the Vikings dealt Daunte Culpepper last month to the Miami Dolphins, Johnson ascended to the top of the team's depth chart. But Johnson, 38, isn't taking anything for granted amid speculation the Vikings could package draft picks to move up high enough to snare an elite college quarterback.

"It's out of my control, so no," Johnson said when asked if he pays attention to the rumors. "I've been around too many different situations. I just love to play. All you can control is yourself and what happens on the practice field. What happens will happen."

Next week, the Vikings are entertaining three top quarterback prospects at Winter Park, according to Scout.com. Vince Young of Texas, Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt are expected to visit with club officials.

The Vikings haven't denied their inclination to bring in a young quarterback to learn under Johnson, whom coach Brad Childress respects a great deal.

But Johnson said Childress has never explicitly told him that he's "his guy."

"I don't think he's talked to one particular player on this team, 'Matt Birk, you're our guy. Antoine Winfield, you're our guy.' That doesn't happen," Johnson said. "You play, you practice hard, you prove yourself and it carries over.

"I thought it was a great opportunity for me to get to play last year and prove my worth, and that's why we are where we are here now."

The Denver Broncos also seriously pursued McMahon. But he said the Vikings offered many "pluses."

"There were unknowns in Denver," he said. "It's great to be with coach Childress again, and the offense, I feel like I kind of already know. But the main thing with me is, I think I take too many chances, and maybe I can learn from someone different from me."

McMahon, 27, said he knows exactly where he stands.

"Right now, Brad is the starter and I'm the backup, and I need to be a sponge and learn as much as I can from him," McMahon said. "For myself, I think this is the best move of my career, to see how Brad does things. He's 38, and he's been in this league and won a Super Bowl. It's a great opportunity to be here."

Asked if he was happy that McMahon was available late last month, Childress said, "I don't know if I deal in happy that much, but we were certainly interested and I wanted to be able to talk to him one on one.

"He had some other suitors, but I was glad we were able to kind of corral him and have him be a part of us."

Childress said he is "OK" with his quarterbacks right now, noting they did a nice job of throwing the football Friday.

But Johnson said he's plenty busy learning the nuances of another system.

"I've been in five different systems, and I've been to the playoffs in every one of those systems," Johnson said. "I've been around great coaches, and a lot of those guys have won Super Bowls. It is the West Coast so-called terminology, but it is just terminology. The big thing is to get on the same page with what they want from each particular play."

Johnson has the respect of his teammates.

"The confidence level in Brad has been high since even before he was starting last season, before Daunte got hurt," tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "As players, we knew we had a very, very good backup quarterback. To win a Super Bowl as a starting quarterback in this league is something that is very hard to do, so the confidence in Brad has always been there."

For now, Johnson, McMahon and third quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan are controlling what they can. And even if the Vikings draft a quarterback or trade for one, McMahon said the current cast will be ready.

"He still has to come in here and compete," McMahon said. "Brad is out there competing, and I'm competing, and J.T. is competing.

"You never know," he said. "You can't worry about what they're going to do. You can only worry about yourself."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Vikings QBs know job status isn't set

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Vikings QBs know job status isn't set

...Asked if he was happy that McMahon was available late last month, Childress said, "I don't know if I deal in happy that much, but we were certainly interested and I wanted to be able to talk to him one on one...
    That is how someone thinks when their goal is to demand excellence from their personnel.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

We arent working out Omar Jacobs? I wouldnt be mad if we got Jay Cutler, not mad at all....
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

faninphx is offline Starter

Didn't McMahon sub for McNabb last year? How did he do?

"faninphx" wrote:
    Didn't McMahon sub for McNabb last year? How did he do?
    Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
    +----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
    | 2005 phi | 9 | 94 207 45.4 1158 5.6 5 8 | 34 118 3 |

We don't have a real #1 QB right now, I hope a trade(ATL) could bring us a starter. If not this year will be a little scary with the QB's we have. Johnson beat BAD teams and LOST and looked terrible against good teams. We need a #1 QB instead of 3 back-ups.
    You republican whore!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

It's Brad right now for sure IMO

McMahon is garbage and missed a bunch of throws yesterday.. And will again today.. And keep doing that

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

McMahon is garbage and missed a bunch of throws yesterday.. And will again today.. And keep doing that
    And if Brad gets injured this year, he's our guy with J.T. O'Sullivan waiting in the wings.

Let's hope Brad stays healthy! :wink:

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

And if Brad gets injured this year, he's our guy with J.T. O'Sullivan waiting in the wings.

Let's hope Brad stays healthy! wink
    I really doubt that JT O'Sullivan will make the team. Whether or not we draft one of the top 3 quarterbacks, I can almost guarantee that we will draft a QB somewhere in the draft. And he'll probably get his spot on the roster because they'll try and develop him.

Also, JT O'Sullivan hasn't really impressed me at all since he was signed. I know I haven't seen much of him, but he doesn't seem very competant. I'd rather have Shaun Hill than him as my #3.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Ultrapurple is offline Rookie

I think Childress has alot more confidence in McMahon then we do! Maybe it's the security of having someone he dosn't have to teach his system to from the ground up. In any case, I expect us to do about what he said, probably go for someone in the later rounds, not one of the premier guy's.
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast