Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: The Vikings’ QB situation is a mess

The odds of failure are a lot higher . . . than success for an NFL QB.
    So it isn't insightful or "shocking" journalism to say T-Jack is gonna stink it up.

He probably will.
    The odds are against him.

In fact at best, he could be the next BOLLINGER, FERROTTE, or any of the other second rate QB that makes a career out of being a back-up because they have some skill and are cheap.
    Hell, for all we know, T-Jack could be out of the NFL in a few seasons.
    More highly touted QB's have left a lot quicker (Heath Shulter, Ryan Leaf).

But on the flip side of the coin, maybe we have our very own version of BIG BEN, or TOM BRADY.
    But we aren't going to know for sure until the season starts . . . and then we may not be sure until next year.

So to the "professional" journalists who are jumping on the "he sucks" bandwagon . . . "no shit sherlock!" . . . the odds are in your favor!

But give the guy a chance . . . before you write him off.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Its easy to be an optimist and say the Vikes will kick ass this year. Its what we all think and dream about. But I am a realist and I dont see it happening. Our QB situation is worse then last year ( at least we thought Brad Johnson would be ok), we had Tomlin for the D. And we still have no WRs that can get the job done when it counts. Childress has done even worse in the off season then his first year. Super Bowls are not won on one mans ego. I doubt we win 6 games this year. Very depressing.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Its easy to be an optimist and say the Vikes will kick ass this year. Its what we all think and dream about. But I am a realist and I dont see it happening. Our QB situation is worse then last year ( at least we thought Brad Johnson would be ok), we had Tomlin for the D. And we still have no WRs that can get the job done when it counts. Childress has done even worse in the off season then his first year. Super Bowls are not won on one mans ego. I doubt we win 6 games this year. Very depressing.
    I agree that there is less hope for this season than there was for last season but I don't think that means they had a bad off season. I think it just means they are rebuilding and it might take a while. I like the direction the team is going.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Its easy to be an optimist and say the Vikes will kick jiggly butt this year. Its what we all think and dream about. But I am a realist and I dont see it happening. Our QB situation is worse then last year ( at least we thought Brad Johnson would be ok), we had Tomlin for the D. And we still have no WRs that can get the job done when it counts. Childress has done even worse in the off season then his first year. Super Bowls are not won on one mans ego. I doubt we win 6 games this year. Very depressing.
    No, you are a pessimist.
    There is a big difference.

Our QB situation is pretty much the same this year as last year.
    Just because we thought BJ would pan out doesn't make it better.

And yes, we had Tomlin for the D.
    We also had the worst pass D in the league.
    So after Tomlin left, we brought in Frazier, who is also of the cover-2 stock, and who's specialty is pass defense.
    Sounds like a good move to me.

And then you finish up with "Childress has done even worse in the off season then his first year."
    First, our offseason last year was great!
    CTaylor and Hutch were amazing pickups, and almost all of our draft picks have earned starting sports.
    This year, I know, some people wanted bigger names brought in.
    Unfortunately the best FA this year would barely be mediocre in any other year.
    And our draft was amazing - one of the best drafts I have seen for the Vikings in a long time.
    I think we are fine.

I don't think the Vikes will kick ass this year, but I don't think that they will be terrible either.
    If I wanted to be a realist I would acknowledge that there is a possibility of both, but the most likely scenario is somewhere around 8-8, give or take a game.
    But I don't want to be a realist right now.
    Off season is the time for purple shades and optimism, and I am already looking into flights to Glendale to watch the Vikes win the superbowl... ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"CCthebest" wrote:
    You surface again.
    Anyone that buys into his rhetoric is mistaken.
    CCthebest wrote in one of his first posts (check his post history) that he doesn't like Brad Childress and doesn't like BJ.
    He has spewed venom without justification about Childress since day one.
    If you think the past two offseason were bad go take a short-course on football 101.
    Also, back up the Childress ego comments instead of just throwing that trash into the mix.
    I've seen plenty of articles and direct quotes from him showing that he is not some sort of egomaniac.
    Crawl back into your hole until you have something to say that resembles the truth.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Mess is far from the term I would use.
    At least our coach has a vision for that position, whether or not you agree with him.

I have seen Childress make some wonderful moves, and some that I question, but I think we will be fine in the QB situation.
    He realized we may be weak there, so what did he do?
    Draft another stud running back to compliment Taylor and make things easier for TJ.

We drafted some wide receivers to create competition, and through compettion you get improvement.

I am tired of people saying TJ wont be able to do the job.
    How can we know that yet?
    I will agree he has yet to prove that he can do the job, but that is way different than not being able to do the job.

Give him a chance...lets see what he can do.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    Mess is far from the term I would use.
    At least our coach has a vision for that position, whether or not you agree with him.

I have seen Childress make some wonderful moves, and some that I question, but I think we will be fine in the QB situation.
    He realized we may be weak there, so what did he do?
    Draft another stud running back to compliment Taylor and make things easier for TJ.

We drafted some wide receivers to create competition, and through compettion you get improvement.

I am tired of people saying TJ wont be able to do the job.
    How can we know that yet?
    I will agree he has yet to prove that he can do the job, but that is way different than not being able to do the job.

Give him a chance...lets see what he can do.
    I deffinitly agree,lets see what he can do

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Its easy to be an optimist and say the Vikes will kick jiggly butt this year. Its what we all think and dream about. But I am a realist and I dont see it happening. Our QB situation is worse then last year ( at least we thought Brad Johnson would be ok), we had Tomlin for the D. And we still have no WRs that can get the job done when it counts. Childress has done even worse in the off season then his first year. Super Bowls are not won on one mans ego. I doubt we win 6 games this year. Very depressing.
    I don't doubt this statement. I do doubt NodakPaul. He's not pessimistic. He is realistic. The realist response is that TJack will probably won't make it in the NFL not anything going against TJack but its a certainty because the odds of a division 1 AA quarterback who's in that situation succeeding in the NFL is a lot lower then failure.
    You can give him a chance. Im ok with that but plain and simple. More no bodys came out of division I-AA schools then stars. Its a statement that I will stand behind. You can get guys like Romo or Bradshaw as an example but for every guy you find that became a star Im sure theres 5+ no bodys to take there place. But I do recognize that that means there is less then 20% chance which is a percentage that he will succeed. Just the safe bet is he won't and so I went with the safe bet.

"Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    You surface again.
    Anyone that buys into his rhetoric is mistaken.
    CCthebest wrote in one of his first posts (check his post history) that he doesn't like Brad Childress and doesn't like BJ.
    He has spewed venom without justification about Childress since day one.
    If you think the past two offseason were bad go take a short-course on football 101.
    Also, back up the Childress ego comments instead of just throwing that trash into the mix.
    I've seen plenty of articles and direct quotes from him showing that he is not some sort of egomaniac.
    Crawl back into your hole until you have something to say that resembles the truth.
    Yeah, some his original posts are still funny.

"CCthebest" wrote:
    I said this was his first flop. Basicaly the only thing he could have screwed up on, he did. His only good move was picking a slow (I can outrun) OLB. Its all that was really left to fill one of the many holes we have. He did what even an uneducated couch like myself would have done.

I admit im not pro Childres. And im certainly not pro Brad Johnson. And I dont like the big changes that have been taking place. BUT even a non Vikings fan would think our draft was lackluster. Especially with a supposed "brain" for head coach. Has no vision whatsoever. Our first priority, bar none, was to get a QB or deal for one.

Im afraid this was just the first of many things Childres will screw up on. I pray im wrong...
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Wish we still had Dante. Think they screwed up not working something out with him. That being said, BJ is a gol 'darnit good QB. He was when he was with us years ago too. He is the type of QB the other players like and respect. He doesnt make many bad decsions. He is older, not as mobile, but i will bet he makes up for that in other ways.
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    In fact, i dont think ive ever seen the Vikes with a worse running game...on the plus side, BJ is looking awesome
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Listen folks, ive NEVER bashed the Vikings, ever. And Ive been a die-hard fan longer then most of you have been alive. I still manage to go to 3 games a year even tho its a 7 hour drive. Sometime i swear my 12 year old has more sense then the posters here.

What I have bashed is Dickless, er Childress, and the fact that our overpaid O-Line looks lazy to me.

I cant stand Childress, because I hate the Eagles. I admit not all of it is based on his skill, or lack of skill. I just hate Eagles almost as much as I hate the Packers. Thats why Ill never like Sharper or Longwell. Ex Packers are like ex spies.

Childress has no balls. He picks lackluster players he knows. He doesnt want anyone with an ego. He wants people he can mold. Its like he wants to be a dad and not a coach. Starting with his failing to get Pep signed (who will be a hall of famer one day) to date with his signing Stinkston and BB as backup QB. I thinks he has failed in everything and no way in hell Ziggy will stand for it. He fired Tice, after Tice got the team to 9-7 after one of the worst starts we have had. Now Im no Tice lover, but hes leaps and bounds above Dickless, imho.
    At least he is consistent in his views on Childress, which is more than you can say for his opinion of BJ and our running game, which went back and forth all the time.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:

I don't doubt this statement. I do doubt NodakPaul. He's not pessimistic. He is realistic. The realist response is that TJack will probably won't make it in the NFL not anything going against TJack but its a certainty because the odds of a division 1 AA quarterback who's in that situation succeeding in the NFL is a lot lower then failure.
    You can give him a chance. Im ok with that but plain and simple. More no bodys came out of division I-AA schools then stars. Its a statement that I will stand behind. You can get guys like Romo or Bradshaw as an example but for every guy you find that became a star Im sure theres 5+ no bodys to take there place. But I do recognize that that means there is less then 20% chance which is a percentage that he will succeed. Just the safe bet is he won't and so I went with the safe bet.

That is TOTAL BS...

Steve McNair (MVP)
    Kurt Warner (MVP)
    Terry Bradshaw
    Phil Simms
    Ken Anderson
    Stan Humphries
    Tony Romo
    Dave Krieg
    Doug Williams (SB MVP)
    Rich Gannon

Feel free to add to the list of SUCCESSFUL I-AA QBs