Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

The Vikings QB situation: Is disaster the word?

[size=13pt]Jim Souhan: The Vikings quarterback situation: Is disaster the word?[/size]

Checking other teams around the league for comparisons doesn't lead to a very good feeling about the chaos in Purple.

By JIM SOUHAN, Star Tribune

Last update: November 25, 2008 - 11:30 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Re: The Vikings QB situation: Is disaster the word?

Next year we get to hear all spring about McNabb, Anderson, Alex Smith and Brett Favre coming here; then, we'll hear about drafting Bradford, Stafford, Colt and Harrel. We'll wind up signing Aaron Brooks and drafting Auburn's QB. Wake up from my QB nightmare!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"HornedHat" wrote:
    Next year we get to hear all spring about McNabb, Anderson, Alex Smith and Brett Favre coming here; then, we'll hear about drafting Bradford, Stafford, Colt and Harrel. We'll wind up signing Aaron Brooks and drafting Auburn's QB. Wake up from my QB nightmare!
    lol

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "HornedHat" wrote:
    lol
    We're hearing most of it now!

I don't have high hopes for J.D. Booty.

The way people bitched & whined here about Culpepper's fumbling due to his small hands, you can expect more of the same if not more with Booty, whose hands are 1" to 1-1/2" smaller than Daunte's.

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

A week after torching this guy, I'm now quoting him.

Problems always start at the top. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has invested lots of emotion and cash in the team, but he never hired a true general manager, someone who would insist on the obvious: If you want to make a serious run at a championship, you need a real starting quarterback.

Almost four years into the Wilf Era, nobody in charge has done anything to improve the most important position on the team.
    I have been saying this for quite awhile, the Vikes need a Football guy to call the shots, not a Football FAN with a buttload of money.
    Wilf has no more knowledge than many of us when it comes to football...and in some cases he has far LESS...but he's set himself up to play GM with his very own franchise.
    Bad idea.
    And the biggest indicator that this is a bad idea is the fact that he hired Childress.

A real GM would can Childress, bring in a REAL Head Coach, who in turn would bring in a REAL Offensive Coordinator, who in turn would SCREAM that he needed
    - at the very LEAST - a COMPETANT Quarterback, and change would occur.

But Chiller didn't do that.
    He bet the farm on Jackson....and it flopped.
    I don't blame Jackson for that entirely, I blame Chiller.
    He took a project kid and pushed him into the lions den too soon with only Adrian Peterson to save him.

But that takes me back to the ROOT of the problem, Zygi.
    Until Wilf decides to get serious about winning, and figures out that the fact that he has money does NOT equate with him having football wisdom, we're going to have an uphill fight every season.
    No REAL head coach wants to come in to a situation where he has an inexperienced owner wanting to play with his football team.

So, Wilf needs to find a GM....a REAL GM...and back off.
    The GM will handle the rest.

Caine

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    I don't have high hopes for J.D. Booty.

The way people bitched & whined here about Culpepper's fumbling due to his small hands, you can expect more of the same if not more with Booty, whose hands are 1" to 1-1/2" smaller than Daunte's.

It's a disaster waiting to happen.
    What I wonder is if Pep fumbled because of the lack of size in his hands or just because he had a problem with focus and concentration.
    My hands are 8 inches and I never had an issue with being able to hold onto a football when getting hit even if it was from the blindside.
    Granted I didn't do much QBing so that may make a difference.
    But 8 1/2 inch hands aren't really small when you consider holding a football.

Who knows?
    I really won't pass judgement till I see him play (if that ever happens).
    There are guys like Doug Flutie that I am sure had hands smaller than Pep's or JDBs.
    To compare Flutie fumbled 30 times in 92 games where Pep fumbled 95 times in 105 games.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Caine" wrote:
    A week after torching this guy, I'm now quoting him.

Problems always start at the top. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has invested lots of emotion and cash in the team, but he never hired a true general manager, someone who would insist on the obvious: If you want to make a serious run at a championship, you need a real starting quarterback.

Almost four years into the Wilf Era, nobody in charge has done anything to improve the most important position on the team.
    I have been saying this for quite awhile, the Vikes need a Football guy to call the shots, not a Football FAN with a buttload of money.
    Wilf has no more knowledge than many of us when it comes to football...and in some cases he has far LESS...but he's set himself up to play GM with his very own franchise.
    Bad idea.
    And the biggest indicator that this is a bad idea is the fact that he hired Childress.

A real GM would can Childress, bring in a REAL Head Coach, who in turn would bring in a REAL Offensive Coordinator, who in turn would SCREAM that he needed
    - at the very LEAST - a COMPETANT Quarterback, and change would occur.

But Chiller didn't do that.
    He bet the farm on Jackson....and it flopped.
    I don't blame Jackson for that entirely, I blame Chiller.
    He took a project kid and pushed him into the lions den too soon with only Adrian Peterson to save him.

But that takes me back to the ROOT of the problem, Zygi.
    Until Wilf decides to get serious about winning, and figures out that the fact that he has money does NOT equate with him having football wisdom, we're going to have an uphill fight every season.
    No REAL head coach wants to come in to a situation where he has an inexperienced owner wanting to play with his football team.

So, Wilf needs to find a GM....a REAL GM...and back off.
    The GM will handle the rest.

Caine
    Amen. If I had a dollar for every time I said the same thing...

PsychoViking is offline Training Camp

[glow=red,2,300]The only selution to this whole mess is to get rid of 1. Childress...2. get rid of Gus & T-jack...3. somehow trade for a qjuailty proven starter and then use a HIGH (1st round) pick on a QB of the future.[/glow]
    The World is Full Of Kings & Queens..Who Will Blind Your Eyes..Then Steal Your Dreams..Its Heaven & Hell

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"PsychoViking" wrote:
    [glow=red,2,300]The only selution to this whole mess is to get rid of 1. Childress...2. get rid of Gus & T-jack...3. somehow trade for a qjuailty proven starter and then use a HIGH (1st round) pick on a QB of the future.[/glow]
    Yeah that's it.
    That would fix everything.
    High 1st round pick QBs are a sure thing and would fix every bit of Viking problems.

Sarcasm Off

To start all over again with a new HC and new QBs would do nothing but set us back several years.
    This team has a chance to be good right now.
    What they need is a QB that has accuracy and make the defenses play honest.
    They also need to fix their punt return problems.
    Unfortunately that would mean either working with Klewe or getting rid of him.
    It is his continuous punts without hangtime that hurt that team.
    That being said they would need a new holder for Longwell.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast