Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    cunningham is offline Training Camp

The Vikings QB options for the offseason

Let's face it, unless T-Jack starts putting up Johnny Unitaslike performances, it's likely he'll have to compete in the offseason for his starting job. Matt Cassel and Donovan McNabb seem to be popular choices for who he'll have to compete with, but I'm going to bring up another possibility.

The 2000 Heisman Trophy winner...St. Paul's own...Chris Weinke.

Now I know what you're saying "Are you INSANE? The guy who lost 17 straight starts!? He got cut from the Niners for God's sake and if the Niners don't need a QB then man...", hear me out. Weinke got thrown to the wolves his rookie year. That's a fact. Name somebody on that Carolina team worth two craps whose name wasn't Julius Peppers. George Seifert may have led the 49ers to 2 Super Bowl titles during his first run as a head coach, but with that team, even Les Steckel could have won a Super Bowl.

His coaching in Carolina just clearly wasn't the same. The Panthers weren't long removed from being, along with the Jacksonville Jaguars, a surprisingly competent expansion team. They went from playoff contenders to 1-15 that season. They went 1-15 with Weinke starting, and his stats reflect that. Nearly 3000 yards passing, 11/18 TD/INT ratio, and a paltry 62.0 QB rating. But who were his weapons?

A rookie Steve Smith wasn't playing receiver. He was used mainly as a kick returner. You can go talk to Seifert about that decision. Weinke's leading receiver was Donald freaking Hayes. Who? Exactly. With no name receivers, and Steve Smith left on kick returns, Weinke's stats look surprisingly good for what he had to work with. And after that season, he got little chance to ever prove himself again. Coming off the bench, I thought he looked great. Outside of a poor start against the Giants, Weinke didn't slip up.

Look, I may be completely wrong about this guy. But I really think he could be turned into something great, even at his age (36). He wanted to play for the Vikings before and even received a workout last season. Who got the job instead? Why, an unbiasedly (cough) hired Koy Detmer of course! What a great use of money that turned out to be. Weinke is certainly a better free agent option then say Tim Rattay or Kordell Stewart. It wouldn't hurt to give him a shot to make it on the roster.

To top it all off, who was the one team Chris Weinke beat that season? The Minnesota Vikings.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Vikings QB options for the offseason

No more old men unless it is Favre.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    Farve belongs in a home

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Farve belongs in a home
    Yes, The Hall of Fame

"marstc09" wrote:
    I probably wouldn't mind Favre either. I still am waiting for the bizzaro world game where the Vikings face the Packers at Lambeau...with Favre as the Vikings QB. What a sight that would be.

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

Weinke is the Topic starter i bet, he's trying to get a pro Weinke fan initive going. i say pass.. raw rookies have as much potential to play as well as Weinke next season, as well as 10+ seasons to play after wards. Weinke is too old and isn't playing for a reason

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:
    Weinke is the Topic starter i bet, he's trying to get a pro Weinke fan initive going. i say pass.. raw rookies have as much potential to play as well as Weinke next season, as well as 10+ seasons to play after wards. Weinke is too old and isn't playing for a reason
    LOL I can assure you I'm not Mr. Weinke nor do I have any relation. Maybe I'm a little biased because I'd love to see the hometown boy succeed but I do truly think he could become great.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"cunningham" wrote:
    "YogidAbEAR" wrote:
    LOL I can assure you I'm not Mr. Weinke nor do I have any relation. Maybe I'm a little biased because I'd love to see the hometown boy succeed but I do truly think he could become great.
    If I remember correctly he was 27 his rookie year.
    That would make him 36 with minimal experience.
    No thank you to Weinke.
    I would rather keep Frerrote.\ as a back up.

"cunningham" wrote:
    The 2000 Heisman Trophy winner...St. Paul's own...Chris Weinke.
    If all you want is a home state boy, why not bring in Todd Bouman. He's a SCSU alum.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

But we don't play games in the off season
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast