Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    "Ponder last season was the only quarterback without a touchdown pass of 21-plus yards (minimum 10 throws), per NFL research. Over two seasons, he's 11 for 70 (15.7 percent) on attempts of 21-plus yards through the air. That's netted 436 yards, one touchdown, five interceptions and a 28.0 passer rating. Last season alone, Ponder was 5 of 34 on those longer throws, for a completion percentage of 14.7.

It gets worse: ProFootballFocus ranked Ponder last in accuracy among 33 NFL quarterbacks on passes of 20-plus yards. His receivers were a ragtag group after Percy Harvin was injured in early November, but Ponder's slew of incompletions included just one drop, per the website."

Christian Ponder's deep ball troubles with the Vikings - NFL.com
    I wonder why the author failed to mention how many throws that Ponder actually took over 20 yards (34) vs how many he took under 20 yards(442). Maybe by mentioning that he would skew his article which is designed to spew forth the drivel that Ponder can't throw deep, when in fact, the offense just doesn't throw deep.

LOL, then he would also have to go into the whole (Why don't Vikings WR get open Deep) discussion.

In his defense he did throw up the "70" number over 2 years. A quick check on someone like Rodgers would probably show that he threw 125 or so over two years I bet.
    Christian Ponder Stats, Splits - Minnesota Vikings - ESPN
    Hmmm, I pay for the "Premium" stats on profootballfocus and I don't see that stat on there....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dat...=25&numgames=1

They are doing something this year (a series) that I'm waiting to see on Ponder, but they've only done the AFC East so far....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...iles-afc-east/

Anyway, there are so many ways you can skin this cat, but ultimately it still gets down to 2 or 3 things...

1. Ponder is still young and inconsistent, like all youngsters are.

2. Our offense just doesn't go deep that much. Could be that we see a change in that area this year now that we have a full compliment of WR's and not just a bunch of cats called WR's that are really nothing but run blockers.

3. Ponder needs to improve his 20+ accuracey. Again, I think we will see a improvement there as we now have WR's that can get open instead of being pinched to the sideline all the time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    No, I'm not. What I'm saying is we didn't win because of Ponder's arm, but rather the play of others.

I can see you haven't given the whole "we won with Ponder playing, ergo he must be the reason we won" thing a rest.
    Never once have you ever saw me post something that says we won because of one player. I'v always said this is the ultimate team sport. One guy doesn't get it done alone.

I did poke a few eyes with the question everyone keeps ignoring....Why didn't we win the playoff game? AD was there. He was "Carrying" the team right?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    My deep ball percentage is 100%. I must be the best deep ball QB ever. EVAR! Or I've only thrown one pass over 25 yards in any of the football games I've played in and the WR (actually the TE) happened to catch it... I will leave it to you to decide which one it is...
    Well played. Well played indeed.

My point, thought, was to show that he can get it deep and he can get it on target, especially when the WR is open. The two he completed the WR was wide open and he caught the ball in stride. That is the ultimate goal.

If you look at the 8 he missed, they were all sideline shots were almost every one of them the WR was pinched to the sideline with no room to work back to the ball.

I suspect that we will see improvement in that area this year and thus the QB's accuracy will go up along with that and if he can continue his great play in the red zone, we might just have something under Center.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I wonder why the author failed to mention how many throws that Ponder actually took over 20 yards (34) vs how many he took under 20 yards(442). Maybe by mentioning that he would skew his article which is designed to spew forth the drivel that Ponder can't throw deep, when in fact, the offense just doesn't throw deep.
    Or we don't throw it beyond 20 yards because Ponder just isn't good enough to do it.

10+ yards: Ponder is at 39.5% completion

20+ yards: Ponder is at 20.6% completion

Now if those completion %'s were higher & we still didn't throw that many, then perhaps your theory "the offense just doesn't throw deep" would have more merit.

There's an accuracy problem there you just won't admit to.
    Last edited by singersp; 07-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Or we don't throw it beyond 20 yards because Ponder just isn't good enough to do it.

10+ yards: Ponder is at 39.5% completion

20+ yards: Ponder is at 20.6% completion

Now if those completion %'s were higher & we still didn't throw that many, then perhaps your theory "the offense just doesn't throw deep" would have more merit.

There's an accuracy problem there you just won't admit to.
    I agree with you to a point, the problem is I watch the games and see what is going on to affect that...

1. Our WR's really don't run routes, they run to spots and then engage in blocking drills.

2. When they do run routes, they suck at it and don't get the separation one sees from other WR's on other teams.

Does Ponder need to improve on his accuracy? Yes. Do we need to help him with better route runners? Yes.

Again, its a team thing and cannot be laid at the feet of just one player, especially one learning the game.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I agree with you to a point, the problem is I watch the games and see what is going on to affect that...

1. Our WR's really don't run routes, they run to spots and then engage in blocking drills.

2. When they do run routes, they suck at it and don't get the separation one sees from other WR's on other teams.

Does Ponder need to improve on his accuracy? Yes. Do we need to help him with better route runners? Yes.

Again, its a team thing and cannot be laid at the feet of just one player, especially one learning the game.
    If you watch the games then you'd know that last year Ponder only threw 4 TD's that were outside of our opponents 10YL & those 4 were between our opponents 10 & 20YL according to your link. So if last years any indication, unless we get down inside our opponents 10, don't count on Ponder throwing many TD's, the probability isn't there.

Our hope is that Jennings or AD can take a 5-10 yard pass & run the distance for a TD.
    Last edited by singersp; 07-03-2013 at 11:56 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12