StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings Profile ("The New Purple People Eaters")

Picked up that USA Today weekly pro sports newspaper today, because AP was on the cover, with the text "The New Purple People Eaters".

Highlights:

- Vikes on schedule to have the most run yards per rush for a season ever.
    - Comparison with the 2005 Super Bowl Steelers (great pounding running game, + run defense). Teams that lead the NFL in rushing and run defense tend to win it.

- Comment that "in January, running is what wins". (when we play in the playoffs, against a passing team like Green Bay, on a cold day with wind, being able to run the ball will be decisive).

- Nice profile of Hutchinson and Birk and how they play well together.
    - Three-tight end sets and pounding the rock.
    - Description of how our off.line is dominating: Birk, Hutch, Kleinsasser.
    - Profile of the great blocking by our receivers downfield, which Birk described as fierce.
    - The Childress speech after the 34-0 route vs. Green Bay (Childress: "You don't know when your NFL career will end; and it is over quickly. Do you want it to end like this ? Birk: "that speech sparked us").
    - The subsequent 5-game win streak.
    ;D

- Peterson "running angry" and wanting and expecting to hit the end zone on every rush.
    - Birk: players block intensely for a guy (AP) they think can break one on every play. The San Diego game: "We were part of history".
    - Bud Grant telling Chilly: "I can tell by looking at the team as they walk on and off the field, that their confidence is up".

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Profile ("The New Purple People Eaters")

WOW! I'm afraid this sudden recognition may hurt us. Then again -- maybe not! That is some wonderful comments. I'll have to go to USA today web site and read them.

Here's the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2007-12-19-sw-cover_N.htm
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I am more pumped after reading it. Our offensive line is kicking butt. I can't wait to play teams in January on a windy day, when they are trying to throw it and we can pound the rock, and stop the run !!

I am pumped up !!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

This quote in there is very important!!

But the linemen have taken an extra step. Led by Birk and Hutchinson, they've conducted group video sessions on Fridays; Jackson and the quarterbacks attend, too. The result is increased chemistry and situational awareness.
    this is just another step in the team becoming a TEAM!!
    Great work by Hutch/Birk!! let the
    vets show the rook's some well learned experience and let the rook's spark the vets back into that hungry fire inside!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Great article, looks like the media has opened up it's eye's, naw we've opened up those eye's by emerging on the playoff trail with the two key ingrediants to push hard into the playoffs. We stop the run, and the two headed monster Taylor and Peterson. Now with Tarvaris coming into his own I see this team surprising a few folks down the road. They have fought through the 2-5, 3-6 stuff and have hung together forming a bond that will keep these guys fighting for each other til the end. I'll go to war with that any Sunday. ~Skol Vikings.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What a great read my friend.
    Thanks.

I think this name applies to the D more than the O as it is written in the article.
    :
    Regardless, I like it.

Purple People De-cleaters
    I wonder if we might have the two nastiest G's in the league.
    You guys see Herrara in the Chicago game?
    I think that guy likes to stick up for his teamates and goes out of the way to do it.
    He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

Hutchinson brings a nasty intensity to finishing blocks that rubs off on his compatriots in their zone-blocking scheme.
    I don't care what excuse anyone wants to run up the flag pole for why we are doing better, but I still contend that it is because both the OL and DL are playing better.
    Case in point.

It began with an offensive line that has coalesced, bringing needed consistency for the team's playmakers to make their mark.
    And the experience/reps all the others are getting........

"There's no substitute for experience; the more we see and play together, the more comfortable and better we get," Hutchinson says. "You get a feel for what the other guys are going to do. That's what we had my last five years in Seattle, the same five guys played together as a unit.
    I know I have been on him, however, he plays such a huge role in how well our offense is gonna do.
    Maybe I expect to much out of him, but I don't think so.

"They don't pull the center as much under Brad Childress. But Matt is a very crafty player who has been a huge help to Tarvaris Jackson in terms of helping his recognition of things he's seeing from defenses."
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the post StillPurple...great stuff. Love it.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    WOW! I'm afraid this sudden recognition may hurt us. Then again -- maybe not! That is some wonderful comments. I'll have to go to USA today web site and read them.

Here's the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2007-12-19-sw-cover_N.htm

My first thought too, Cojo! Just hope it doesn't go their heads, and they start thinking they're better than they are.

But we are in some good company there, with the exception of the '81 Lions.
    ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...