Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Norseman Vikings post new stadium designs, want feedback

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Where is all this additional land coming from that they seem to be using that they don't currently own? So much land in fact that they can afford to put in a soccer field where the Trib lot currently is & where PP.O currently tailgates.

Given the vast area of sidewalk space they're depicting between the dome & the street, the stadium would have to be smaller than it currently is.

Here's the are we're talking about.

The Stadium is bordered by streets on two sides with the plaza/tram station on one side & a parking lot on the other. It seems like there's barely enough room to put in the stadium with the plaza, let alone an entire complex.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    They are expanding its footprint, using some land, and redirecting streets I do believe. the plaza extends west from dome...not on our tailgate. The train is immovable. The back parking lot and some of that street and the substation might go on the east side.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    They are expanding its footprint, using some land, and redirecting streets I do believe. the plaza extends west from dome...not on our tailgate. The train is immovable. The back parking lot and some of that street and the substation might go on the east side.
    Do they currently own the land they plan on expanding the foot print to?

I'm no expert when it comes to all the buildings surrounding the dome & east to west mean nothing to me, but the following picture depicts the tram stop, IMO where it currently is, that you state is immoveable.

That would mean we are looking at the gate H corner where the tram stop currently is & I see a soccer field, not the Trib parking lot where we tailgate.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    And they are going to leave the dome up for 3/4 years it will take to build the stadium. I also don't see 30,000 parking spots in there yet. I suppose we need to ride the train to get there from the airport?

In the end they are just refacing the dome and freshening up the land around it. If the land could be turned into green space after the new one was built why hasn't it been done already? The roof design looks worse than the current one in terms of snow load but at least it might be interesting enough for Tony Stark to drop in once for a cameo.

Not sure how they are going to pull a billion in added value out of this. There is quite obviously no additional retail development in this concept and what tax generating ground they would have is now turned into money sucking green space.

Whoever thinks this is better than AH is delusional.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Obviously this isn't better than Arden Hills... except for the fact this this will likely get built and the Arden Hills Stadium won't.

Also, keep in mind that these are conceptual drawings, not architectural drawings. They demonstrate more of the potential of the site than the actual product. Several buildings will have to be purchased still, although I believe that the purchase price of most of the required buildings is part of the financing plan. Remember how one of the obstacles for the Block E location was an existing factory?

Also, we are seeing several different conceptual designs at the same time. The interior shot is about two years old, and still features a retractable facade, whereas the new exterior shots do not.

I do like the idea of a long extended plaza in front of the stadium, and from my experience with the Super Bowl, I believe that space to erect the NFL game day tents is one of the requirements for a host city. In most cities they just use the tailgating lots, but this would be a pretty cool atmosphere for it as well. I don't like the idea that the light rail runs directly through the plaza - they would need to erect barriers to keep the average drunken fan off the tracks, and that would take away from the look and feel.

I also expect to see more restaurants and shopping built into the plan, otherwise it will turn in to a 2012 version of the dome neighborhood now.

All in all, it is fun to look at. I am looking forward the to actual stadium plans when the bill is approved and we know how much money will actually be spent.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    And they are going to leave the dome up for 3/4 years it will take to build the stadium. I also don't see 30,000 parking spots in there yet. I suppose we need to ride the train to get there from the airport?

In the end they are just refacing the dome and freshening up the land around it. If the land could be turned into green space after the new one was built why hasn't it been done already? The roof design looks worse than the current one in terms of snow load but at least it might be interesting enough for Tony Stark to drop in once for a cameo.

Not sure how they are going to pull a billion in added value out of this. There is quite obviously no additional retail development in this concept and what tax generating ground they would have is now turned into money sucking green space.

Agreed, there is no parking - this is an issue IMHO.

As far as the green space versus tax base, The zoomed out shots show development possibilities on either side of the plaza, particularly on the North side. The entire plaza is a total of two or three city blocks, which are currently occupied by the Star Trib building and a parking lot. They actually show the plaza going all the way to the Courthouse, which looks cool, but I suspect that is just for ascetics in the conceptual drawings. In reality the Hennepin County Jail is in the last block, and it is a fairly current facility that I don't see them moving. So losing a parking lot and a strib building for plaza isn't going to affect tax revenues.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That would mean we are looking at the gate H corner where the tram stop currently is & I see a soccer field, not the Trib parking lot where we tailgate.
    Correct, there is a soccer field in that pic. On the overlays it is defined as "open tailgate parking". My guess is they are trying to show that the space can and will be used for other things in the summer. I suspect the grass would have to be resodded every year, but all in all not a bad idea for continued use.

One of the issues I heard form the hill is that creating large tailgating lots for use 10-12 times wastes space. It looks like they are looking for creative ways to alleviate that.

Of course, if they put it in Arden Hills, there wouldn't be a space issue at all...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Here is the overly I keep referring to BTW

Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post

All you have to do is look to Phoenix to know why all the hype around Arden Hills would fail here as it did there. Development isn't shooting up and sustainable in Glendale away from the city center. And it has hockey, football and more there and still struggles.

Spending $1 Billion just for contiguous tailgating space makes no sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast